teens accused of Columbine style plot

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Dolemite, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/21/foiled.plot.ap/index.html

"Norman also mentioned bullying and said investigators had learned the suspects liked violent video games."

i applaud the fact that they were able to stop this. but to again link video games, and media in gerneral, to this kind of stuff is rediculous. alot of kids play violent video games, and yet never do anything like this. tell me again, what violent video games did Adolf Hitler play??????? did Pol Pot like the Mortal Kombat series?????? i bet Charles Whitman loved the deer hunter series

2. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0

Medal of Honor. Oh, sweet irony.

3. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    dumbass kids.

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should be sentenced to a federal pound me in the ass prison and be forced to play dodgeball and butts up for 25 years with no option for parole till year 20.

5. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
  6. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    or they should be killed.

I mean that's what they wanted after all, "kill, blood and death".

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How dumb are these kids to begin with? I mean, posting it on a website? Yea the Internet is a medium available only to frustrated bullied teenagers....geez.

Also, when are they going to learn to just get over such dumb childish school behavior...it's sad enough the only response they can muster up is violence.

Put these kids to 12 hour labour on a farm somewhere and I'll guarantee, they'll tear off their posters and cancel their blog subscriptions.

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like they were less influenced by playing video games and more by watching the evening news?

9. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Given that they knew when Hitler's birthday was, it sounds like maybe they actually stayed awake in history class.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Or by the unremitting bullying of their peers...

11. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Why are bullies not stopped by educators?

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Anyone who has ever been in a teaching position, knows that stopping bullies is a very hard thing to do from a teacher's point of view. Most of the time, if the person being bullied or one of his friends doesn't come forward, there isn't much that can be done, as most of the time, you aren't aware of it. Most bullies know better than to display their anti-social behaviour in front of a teacher.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    "You look lovely today, Mrs. Cleever."
    "Why, thank you Eddie, you're such a well mannered boy."

14. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Next to impossible unless the kid comes forward, which is extremely unlikely. It's an unspoken rule amoung teenage boys that they won't tattle on each other.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And frankly, there's individual "bullying" and clique "bullying". The antisocial thug is portrayed as the common bully in American culture, but that's exactly the same sort of anti-social individual that grows up to be an "Angry Young Man" and can be involved in all sorts of problems - but is very rarely part of what's going on here.

The "bullies" that lead to situations like Columbine aren't the loner-thug bullies. In fact, while movies may portray a ring-leader Eddie Haskell type, in reality, the bullying is mostly social ostracization. It's year after year of clique-sanctioned group behaviour, and rarely any premeditated one on one situation.

That makes it far more difficult for outsiders to diagnose. Kids, afterall, need to learn how to socialize and interact. And most "insiders" (the kids) obviously don't have decades of experience to understand that a situation has gone too far, or is out of the ordinary.

There is no easy answer.

16. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have always been cliques. There have always been bullies, losers, loners, and outcasts. What has changed in the past 10 years or so to prompt this kind of violent reaction to what seem to be the normal social pressures of high school?