Teams with the most fans!

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by Pingudo, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    *Updated*

.....team of the people...........of the more affluent
    bra: flamengo.....................fluminense/vasco (Rio)
    bra: corinthians..................são paulo/palmeiras(SaoPaulo)
    bra: gremio....................... internacional (Porto Alegre)
    bra: atl mineiro...................cruzeiro (Belo Horizonte)
    bra: atletico PR...................coritiba/parana (Coritiba)
    arg: boca............................river (Buenos Aires)
    arg: independiente..............racing (Avellaneda)
    arg: estudiantes..................gimnasia (La Plata)
    arg: rosario central..............newell's (Rosario)
    bol: bolívar.........................the strongest (La Paz)
    chi: colo colo.......................u.chile/u.catolica (Santiago)
    col: millonarios...................santa fe (Bogota)
    col: america cali.................deportivo cali (Cali)
    col: medellin......................atl. nacional (Medellin)
    ecu: barcelona....................emelec (Guayaquil)
    ecu: aucas/dep.quito...........LDU quito (Quito)
    par: cerro porteño...............olympia (Asuncion)
    per: alianza lima.................universitario (Lima)
    uru: peñarol........................nacional (Montevideo)
    ven: caracas fc....................italchacao (Caracas)
    ven: tachira........................merida (the Andes)

mex: america/cruz azul........UNAM pumas (Mexico City)
    mex: guadalajara chivas......atlas/UAG tecos(Guadalajara)
    mex: UANL tigres.................monterrey (Monterrey)
    csr: saprissa....................... alajuelense (San Jose)
    gua: comunicacion...............municipal (Guatemala City)
    hon: olimpia........................motagua (Tegucigalpa)
    esl: fas................................firpo (San Salvador)
    nic: real esteli......................diriangen (Managua)
    pan: tauro...........................??? (Panama City)

2. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I notice polls are used extensively to determine the most popular soccer teams in South America. I don't know how reliable these polls are, but if we assume +/- 4% error, Alianza could have as high as 34-37% support, and Universitario could have as low as 31-34% support. So Alianza could still be #1.

In the U.S. in the 40s and 50s, pollsters used to interview mostly people with phones. Most poor people, however, didn't have phones so polls were always biased.

Anyways, this is what I have from other similar polls that people have posted here.

Bra: (in millions of supporters):
    1º Flamengo - 33
    2º Corinthians - 24
    3º São Paulo - 13,3
    4º Palmeiras - 11,8
    5º Vasco - 10

Ecu:
    Barcelona 29%-30%
    LDU Quito 21%
    Emelec 20%

Chi:
    Colo Colo - 30%
    U. de Chile - 30%
    Rest - 40%

Per:
    Universitario 35-38%
    Alianza 30-33%

Does anybody else has similar polls for other countries?

3. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Yeah but Universitario has never been affiliated with any university, the founders of the team (back in 1924) were college students, hence the name.

In those early days the team was clearly more affluent and less popular than Alianza. But around the mid 1930s they started winning and had a humble country boy as their star (Lolo Fernandez) so their appeal with the masses began.

4. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Well I know that the polls in Peru are carried by a private university, which is the same institution that takes political surveys used by the media, so I'm guessing they're fairly reliable. And I'm sure they take measures to capture a sample representative of the entire populace.

You're right about the error factor but I've seen these polls several years now and Universitario is always #1. It's also popular knowledge in Peru that they're #1, if you catch an objective Alianza fan will admit that :)

5. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Objective Alianza fans please come forward :)

6. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown New Member

Nov 14, 2004
    FL
    I heard Flamengo has 40 million followers, thus making it the most popular team in the Americas.

7. Corinthiano

Corinthiano New Member

Nov 30, 2003
    Alfenas-BR
    Charlie does not lie, you know that the fans of the Flamengo and of the Corinthians is almost of the same size, and some research indicates that fans of the Corinthians surpassed of flamengo in number of fans.

8. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil
    Dont be ridiculous, corinthians has 24 million fans and Flamengo has about 33 million. Its a huge difference, almost 10 million people. Try not to be biased once in your life (Even though I know thats impossible for a corinthians supporter to do)

São Paulo is the third with almost 14 million supporters. And is considered the most "affluent" of the brazilian teams. A Corinthians X Sao Paulo is really the "people X elite" game.

9. Corinthiano

Corinthiano New Member

Nov 30, 2003
    Alfenas-BR
    *Who said you that the São Paulo is the team most influential of Brazil????
    *Who said you that the Flamengo has 33 million fans and Corinthians 24?????
    *Who said you that the Corinthians x São Paulo is the game of People x Elite??

*The teams most influential in the media are Corinthians and Flamengo, remembers that the games with bigger "ibope" are always of Corinthians and Flamengo, and the Corinthians is the commented teams more in the media (until the "porcos", "sardinhas", "bambis" and until the Jorge Kajuru they say that in the media alone if it speaks of the Timão).
    *Some research already indicates that the Timão has more fans who the Flamengo, you knows of this!
    *As research of the periodical Lance or Lancenet, twisted the richest of Brazil is the Timão (but still I find that the fãs a of the Corinthians still is the "people team").

Against facts it does not have arguments

10. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil
    Economically, yes, São Paulo is considered through history as the most "rich" or "playboy" team in Brazil. By supporters, press, and everybody.

The most abrangent and serious research ever made about the subject by LANCE! newspaper last year. Just ask for it and you will see.

I said everybody consider the match as an "Elite X People" game. Arent Sao Paulo supporters the "richies", the "aristocrats"? Arent the corinthians supporters the "maloqueiro e sofredor"? Isnt corinthians the "team of the people"? Of course it is, since the 20s these 2 teams are seen this way, by press, supporters, analysts, etc...

Wrong again buddy, UOL.com.br researchs indicated some months ago that Sao Paulo is the team with bigger "ibope" in the television. The only media that comments Corinthians more than Sao Paulo is the argentinian media, and it is because of Tevez and Passarella.

Well, I would really like to see them. Why dont you say the vehicle who made them? Or put some link for a site where I can read about this research?

I totally agree.

And try to improve your english.

11. AlonsoH

AlonsoH New Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Birmingham, Al
    I asked my Dad about Alianza and La U. He said that Alianza is considered the people's Futbol Club while La U is the club of the Affluent. That being said 2 things should be considered. 1 just because one club represents a group of people dosent mean those people pull for them. I know of plenty of rich Alianzistas and plenty of poor La U people. 2 is that La U has been the more popular of the 2 for a loooong time but I dont think that that is grounds for determining which Club correspondes with which group.

12. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    The only teams that might compete with Flamengo and Corinthians in terms of fans would be America and Chivas of Mexico.
    They have a hell lot of fans.

This is the way it goes in Venezuela as far as I know:
    El clasico:
    Tachira vs Estudiantes de Merida (2 of the 3 teams that have made it to quarterfinals in CL and the 2 oldest teams)
    El clasico moderno:
    Tachira vs Caracas, This one is very interesting.
    - Tachira has history, fans and 5 championships in about 25 years.
    - Caracas has 7 stars in 18 years is unbeaten in 4 years, and unbeaten at home in the last 33 games vs Tachira.

There's not a real derby in Venezuela. Except for maybe Caracas-Italchacao, but usually only about 2000 fans would go to that game :(

13. Milolaz

Milolaz New Member

May 11, 2005
    You're now good on this one.

I was taking a break at work and got to this site/board, saw this and had to join. Nation wide, Guadalajara the team of the people (most fans) and america was born to play the bad guy (second). america is owned by the bigest television company in Mex and they will feed you a lot of b.s., a lot of people bought what the media told them and are now america fans. The rest of the teams you wrote down are not as big as these two, nation wide Cruz Azul is the third team with the most fans.

14. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well, thank you and Welcome! :)

15. palta molida

palta molida New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    Uk
    Yes I agree Colo Colo and Uni de Chile are the two big teams for the people, although I would say Colo Colo is probably slightly more popular, the stats are maybe more 40:20 than 30:30

16. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Yup, if la U was really the club of the affluent it wouldn't have more fans than Alianza. Peru isn't exactly teeming with affluent people.

The old-time poor limeños in the 30s and 40s were almost all Alianza, plus almost all blacks are Alianza fans. They got this reputation back then and haven't shaken it off.

17. Diablo_manda

Diablo_manda New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Cedritos Bogota D.C
    America, Nacional and Millonarios have the most fans...

i really dont have a # but in bogota D.C Millonarios, America and Nacional have the most fans Santa fe comes in at a fourth

18. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Once upon a time Millonarios had the most fans (in the 60s, 70s) I think America overtook them sometime in the 80s after making it to the Libertadores finals for 3 consecutive times.

19. luisbarca15

luisbarca15 New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    si won me vas a decir ke tachira-estudiantes no es un derby? :rolleyes: esa ************ es el unico partido ke vale la pena ver

20. italchacao

italchacao New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin TX
    un derby es un partido entre dos equipos de la misma ciudad.

21. luisbarca15

luisbarca15 New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    si weon tons pq al barca-madrid le dicen derby :rolleyes:

22. italchacao

italchacao New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin TX
    no sabia que al barça-madrid le dijeran derby y tal vez es porque no abia puesto atencion, pero no es correcto

23. luisbarca15

luisbarca15 New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    mierd@ won un derby es un clasico , como lo es el clasico de sud america brazil-argentina, el clasico de españa madrid-barca, el clasico de los andes tachira-estudiantes :rolleyes:

24. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C
    En sudamerica nadie le dice Derby don Luis. Solo Clasicos Derbies es usado en Europa.

America si tiene mas hinchas pero en Bogota Millonarios es el que tiene mas hinchada.

25. luisbarca15

luisbarca15 New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    por eso won pero es la misma mierd@