Teams in Granada

Discussion in 'Andalucia' started by El Guero Naco, Jul 6, 2005.

1. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey guys, I'm moving to Granada in late August and was wondering what teams are located there or nearby.

I checked soccer-spain.com and couldn't find anything in Granada (the city).

2. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Lived there 4 years, man.

Right now Granada is pretty much a soccer hellhole of sorts.

Their main team is Granada CF, with 17 seasons in Primera, but none since 1977.

In 2002 they dropped to Tercera due to non-payment.

Because of a lawsuit (years in the courts) between the club and the rich guy in town, the rich guy is trying to kill off GCF, forming Granada Atletico this year and trying to buy their way into the Tercera. Money against tradition.

Granada CF has not done well though and only 1,500 loyals remain.

HOWEVER:

1) Those 1,500 are awesome fans and loyal to the end. I was part of a "peña" called Sur Granaino. The best. Cheering, hating the rival with artistic ways of letting the opponents and refs know who da man, banging the drum... those were cool times. Fun, fun, fun.

2) LORENZO SANZ (YES, EX RM PREZ) IS GETTING INVOLVED IN THE CLUB!!

At this moment GCF is by far still THE city club... if Granada At. has success then things may change.

IMHO: Granada Atletico is a farce.

Stadium: Nuevo Los Carmenes, 12-14K people.

Malaga will play Granada in August.

Granada province: The small town of BAZA will have a team in Segunda B next year for the 1st time ever.

ALSO: Want First Division? Go down A-92 to Malaga (hour and a half) or to Sevilla (almost three hours)... or try Cadiz (the trip is about 2 hrs. but very nice and Gaditanos rule)

3. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Oh sh@t man I just noticed...

Granada CF is... red and white stripes with blue shorts. Sound famililar? :D

OK, so the stripes are now horizontal, but for many years it was like Chivas.

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Granada, amazing place, ALahmbra is amazing. I too wish to live there... what will you be doing there and do you need any Puerto Rican helpers? lol

5. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I just got my assignment today. I'm going there to be an assistant teacher in a high school there, helping the students and teachers with English.

9 months.

Dude, I'll make it to Puerto Rico one day. Hell, I might even sign up with the military just so I could be shipped there. To me, Puerto Rico is like heaven on earth.

6. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Good luck in Granada. I found it to be the most beautiful city I visited in Espana. This year, Granada had two teams in Tercera Group IX, Granada and Granada 74. It looks like 74 got relegated, though. Granada finished 5th, just out of the playoffs. Here's a link to the final table:

http://marcawas5.recoletos.es/Estadisticas/LigaFutbol/Controlador

Q

Edit: This link just takes you to the marca.es match calendar. The info is in there, though. Q

7. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Funny, I lived in Granada...

And now in Puerto Rico!

I'm half boricua half Andalusian

And yes, PR Islanders fan too, only I don't have space on the left
    <<<<<<<<

8. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Santa Fe, Arenas (Armilla), Imperio (Albolote)... all within 15-20 mins. driving time.

Granada CF and Granada Atletico will be a NASTY derby if GA gets their move from Guadix approved.

9. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the info guys.

I might have to join up with that band of 1,500 you speak of.

I'm a member of the fan group for the Atlanta Silverbacks here. We play in the 2nd division (USL) and the hardcore fans consist of between 10-15. So I'm used to my team having a small following!

10. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No chit? I go to all the Islanders games with my girlfriend! I hang with some Irish boys that always wear Arsenal jerseys to the game... one of them looks like he could be a rough neck skinhead but is actually the coolest dude. Did you go to the last Islanders game where we beat the Kickers 3-1? What an awsome game and incredible 3 goals by the Islanders... serious WORLD CLASS GOALS I would have never expected from our team...

As for the comment about Puerto Rico being heaven on Earth... thats what the Moors called the Alhambra Palace in Grenada... Heaven on Earth! I love Spain!

11. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Watch out what you ask for, right now the chances of going to PR via the military is slim to none, but then again you could be going to Afghanistan or Iraq. One who knows and is bound for Afghanistan either late this year or first thing in 2006.

"Duty First"

El Pichi

12. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I know that. But I have contacts high up in the military thanks to my dad and a guy I work with and they told me how to get in.

Besides, my dad told me they'd never send me to war because I have really bad eyesight and my language skills are too impressive to send me out to die.

They're gonna need me here in 10 years, thanks to the mexicanos.

But hopefully by the time I get back from Granada we'll have come to our senses and gotten out of there.

13. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah right your so full of yourself that you thinks your Gods gift to the world. :eek: Unless you're a P4 profile you will be deployed and if you are a P4 you would be discharged due to your bad eye sight! Besides you don't have to speak five languages to be an 11B!!

You may want to read up on what guys that have worn the uniform and though they never thought they would be in harms way but when the ******** hit the fan they took charge!

http://www.medalofhonor.com/Sgt.York.htm

I am sure that I could use a guy like you to clear a minefield while on a patrol in Afghanistan!

Viva Er Beti Manque Lopera!

El Pichi

14. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Damn. Looks like someone needs to clean the sand out of their vagina...

15. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. Pichi's just calling your bull dh!t out for what it is.

16. Iberian

Iberian Member

Jun 10, 2004
    New Jersey, USA
    Errr....how are you going to watch your beloved Betis in the CL from there?.....wait, by that time they won't be playing in the CL anyways :D

They'll be back home watching Sevilla in the UEFA on TV with Lopera hiding in the bathroom during playing times!

Anyhow, good luck.

17. Colin Pike

Colin Pike New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Berwick upon Tweed
    I'm looking for some information on Granada CF. I'm from Scotland and will be visiting Spain next month and spending a day in Granada.
    What I'm looking for is information on their ground eg directions and whether there's a club shop at the ground.
    In fact any stuff on the club at all would be most welcome on football at that level.