Team USA -- USA Men's Basketball

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by I. Tristeza, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Good thing that wasn't the case for the gold medal game...

2. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The best team doesn't always win or clearly doesn't always deserves to win.

Forgot the key word or did I say it right the first time? ;):eek:

3. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Shaq carried Kobe to his titles just like Wade and LeBron did for Kobe this summer ;)

4. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You edited that post after I quoted it...cheeky, cheeky :p

Your statement was irrelevant though since the US was the best team in the Olympics AND deserved to win the gold medal.

5. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense, but are you a troll or lacking in knowledge of basketball. There is no way that Spain is the better team in talent or in the gold medal game. The Spain played over their heads and they were still not better than the USA. Play that game three times and the outcome would be an 11 point loss and two 20+ point losses to the USA.

6. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, for every 17 year old Lebron there are a hundred washouts. The current rule makes sense. It allows players a chance to develop further by playing college. Most are ill equipped to handle the responsibility and make the adjustments from High school to the pro game. They are huge. Look at Lebron, not only was he physically mature, he was also very mature and poised. That is a rare gift. Listen to his interviews, he acts like a 30 year old season veteran.

7. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ^^^

Hell yes.

Rep owed.

9. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No and don't even go on about basketball knowledge please.

With that said, you tell me where I said anything about Spain being the better team. Furthermore, if you look at the game, Spain kept pace with a very strong US Men's team and all international reports I've read, Spain was near par with the Americans in this final.

I thought I had more to say, but I don't, you're just reading whatever it is you want to read and saying whatever you think you need to say.

They did win, it's true so it nothing else matters. On some popular basketball forums, some bball fans have their own typical responses of reasons negating stuff from the US. It's typical stuff you would here on these forums involving soccer, just with basketball.

I'm wondering though, if say Lithuania did upset the the US what would have been the comments. When the amateur US team beat the superior Soviets in Ice Hockey in 1980 in the Olympics, the US team deserved to win the gold. They beat the best, but then some could argue that they aren't the best. When Greece won the Euro's people were still saying if they even deserved it or were the best.

Humans. :rolleyes:

A Champion is the best and that's all that's to it.

10. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can say about the 2008 Bejing Olympuic game from a basketball perspective:Mission Accomplished.

Anyways, lets keep the basketball talk up and running through the season.

11. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should I not go on about basketball knowledge? To make a post that implies that Spain was the better team, by stating that the the most deserving team doesn't always win is misleading if that is not what you meant to write. As I posted earlier Spain played extremely well. In fact, they played well over their heads to stay within 11 points of the USA and to be in the hunt to win the game in the fourth quarter.

As well as Spain played, the USA played better and furthermore they did not steal this game from Spain. Hard fought game by both teams.

12. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  13. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one and dones hurt college basketball. Simple as. It should be a player's choice wether or not he wants to take that risk, sorry they are adults, I find it silly to force these plsyers to play a year of college ball, or in the dumb ones cases, go overseas. They belong even less in college then they do sitting on an NBA bench or in the D League.

14. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    For a given definition of "college basketball." The TV contracts are doing fine, because people seldom tune in to watch the well executed team offence of Random U, they tune in to watch the next big thing that will be in the draft 3 months later.

I agree 100% with this... except that it may be the smart ones that go overseas, despite what their SAT scores may say to the contrary.

In any case, I think that shipping the kid to Europe may do him more good in the long run than having him stay one year in an absolutely fake "college" environment where he is given no incentive to mature. Have the player try to run a posse in Kaunas or Vladivostok and see if he can.

15. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I really don't get it. How is that picture racist? This whole racism thing is rediculous. Some people seriously need to work more or get a hobby.

16. canesfan00

canesfan00 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Miami
    Repped. I just wish we could leave him in China since they obviously worship him there. All this will do is boost his ego and when things aren't going his way he will either ask for a trade or complain about his team mates. Hopefully this is the last team I see him in a USA jersey.

17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Good god there are alot of childish people on BS.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Kobe had the biggest play of the fourth quarter (a four-point play that also fouled out Fernandez). He also scored 13 of his 20 in the fourth quarter. Yet Wade gets most of the credit for closing out the game.

19. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Doesn't surprise me. Most basketball wagoneers are idiots.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    In fairness, Wade did bail out the US in the first half. But the fourth quarter was Kobe's.

21. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Sure. Wade was the US best player in the tournament. Surprisingly so.

22. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    I would not be so proud if your 300 million country where basketball is like a number one sport beats a country with 40 million people where they all play soccer and then nothing and than still nothing and than cycling and basketball etc . And even have trouble with them.

23. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    they did what they had to do

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    N° 3 sport would be closer to reality.

And they also beat a country with 1.3 billion people where basketball is crazy popular. :D

25. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    And then some. What was the average win margin in the tournament? 30 points?