Team Payrolls

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Chadwell, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Chadwell

Chadwell New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    North Carolina
    Its probably been asked a hundred times, but I'll make it a hundred and one...

Are EPL team payrolls made public knowledge? And if so, is the information online anywhere?

Thanks.

2. Devilish Red

Devilish Red New Member

May 23, 2004
    No.

Fooball is very secretive. Most of the numbers you see for salaries, transfers are guesswork. There is however, a fooball finance review.

Top 20 Clubs (2003/4) - Turnover

1 (1) Man Utd £171.5m
    2 (4) Real Madrid £156.3m
    3 (3) AC Milan £147.2m
    4 (10) Chelsea £143.7m
    5 (2) Juventus £142.4m
    6 (7) Arsenal £115m
    7 (13) Barcelona £110.1m
    8 (6) Inter Milan £110.3m
    9 (5) Bayern Munich £110.1m
    10 (8) Liverpool £92.3m
    11 (10) Newcastle £90.5m
    12 (11) Roma £72m
    13 (18) Celtic £69m
    14 (16) Tottenham £66.3m
    15 (15) Lazio £65.8m
    16 (-) Man City £61.9m
    17 (14) Schalke £60.5m
    18 (-) Marseille £58.3m
    19 (-) Rangers £57.1m
    20 (-) Aston Villa £55.9m

3. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    How on earth are Newcastle, Spurs, City and Villa so high?

4. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Because we have 49,000 season tickets at an average of £560. That is a lot of money, plus TV money, shirt sales and other crap.

Even though we haven't been in europe this season our turn over rose to £92million, but we lost £13 million after taxes and expenses. :rolleyes:

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    loads of support - loyal and stupid enough to dig into their (our) pockets whether they're offered quality or crap.

6. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Mainly crap.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ... and thus the inspiration for leg_breaker's query.

8. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Something tells me you only started watching football about 5 years ago.....

They are big clubs unlike Bolton.

9. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    I don't get why, with the EPL being so rich, they don't (yet) show relative dominance in Europe.

I have to wonder if the jackasses that run the clubs ever have meetings about this sort of thing. "We have the big turnover, and these poorer clubs in Europe keep beating us. How do we fix this?"

10. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    It all goes back to when English clubs were banned from Europe for 5 years. In that time European football moved on and its only now that they are catching up.

11. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    What I meant is, how can they be so rich yet so low down in the table? Especially Newcastle, £90 million a year turnover and they're more likely to be relegated than qualify for Europe.

Compare that to say PSV or Porto who aren't even in the table.

12. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    English teams used to dominate Europe from 75 to 85, with three teams winning it, and 7 wins in 8 seasons, 8 finalists in 10 years. Then we got banned, and have never recovered.

Also it's generally not poorer teams who beat English teams, it's often teams like Milan, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, hardly broke.

13. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Its all about what teams have done the past - it builds up your support. Just because a team hasnt been to well lately doesnt mean that the support they had built up over the period before doesnt just stop supporting. Like for Spurs who were one of the top team from the 50s to the 80s built up big support and then because they had a crap 90s doesnt mean the support just stops.

If Man Utd got relegated they probally would still be top of the list.

14. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    But financially they certainly have recovered. It just doesn't seem that those excess millions of pounds haven't translated in up to date management and tactics.

Yeah, lately. Though in some cases it doesn't seem right. ManU finished last in their group behind three clubs that probably have far lower turnovers. I wonder what Villareal's turnovers are compared to Everton. They're starting to show for their wealth, but it has taken a while.

15. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Villareal are owned by millionare floortile baron.

16. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    On the whole, players here are overpaid for their level of ability. Newcastle have got overpaying players down to an art-form. That tends to eat up any wealth "advantage".

17. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Anyway, the English league is ranked second behind Spain in terms of European performance, and if it wasn't for the incredibly wealthy Real Madrid they'd probably be top.

18. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    How many first division Spanish clubs aren't owned by millionares?
    I mean, does he have hundreds of millions, or just a few million? And does he 'donate' extra cash for players?

I wonder why it's in England though.
    All kidding aside, I don't consider the English to be dumber people. Unless maybe there is some sort of football cultural thing... where the people in charge are older and got there during the times that football was further from the mass popularity it has now.

19. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Well Villareal itself is about . <that big so yeah he's got a few bob.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's it right there.