Team Nickname

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by Gioca, Nov 13, 2004.

1. flipper

flipper New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Eastern US
    Did someone from Rochester steal your lunch money once?

2. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Yeah and they spent the money on that tired image campaign...just about the price of a PB&J sandwich....."OH CANADA....!!!"

3. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Rochester Rhinos should be renamed to just "The Rhinos"

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is, they're not from a city called "The".

-G

5. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Personally, I think the city should be renamed to Rhinochester.

6. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I could give a rats ass what the team is called. All I know is that Paetac Field is going to be the cats pajamas.

7. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have noticed in their 10th Season Emblem that the Ragin' is getting awefully small.

8. flipper

flipper New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Eastern US

You noticed that too? I guess the kicker will be what the big sign on Oak street, the one you might be able to see from 490, will look like once it's finished. I have a feeling the 'ragin' will be even smaller by then.

9. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So where is my rep then???!!!!

:p

Credit where credit is due, that's what I always said...... :D

10. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    you must have failed history class?

11. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    You must've been taking a leak when God was handing out senses of humor.

12. Guelah Papyrus

Guelah Papyrus New Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Fairport, NY
    Most supporters from..........this thread?.....these boards?.......
    Don't you think that it's stupid to generalize the feelings of thousands of people based on the 30 or so who feel like posting on-line.

Ah yes, Toronto with it's SSS and overwhelming fan support. Lay off the hash hoser.

13. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

This post is absurd. The Ragin' Rhinos symbol and teamname cannot be compared to something like the Yankees or the Boston Bruins. It can't because it's amatuerish. From the poor logo that some hack designed, to teh "Ragin," which is completely bush-league. That certainly isn't a tradition that MLS wants to deal with. If it was, and this is the key part my friend, the Metrostars would have kept the exploding building logo, or the 'Quakes would still have the scorpion in the logo. I know reality bites, but there is no way in hell a Rochester team comes into the league as is with the logo and team name as is. If they do, then it's a massive step back for the league.

The leageu should be trying to establish teams that can stand up to the great American sportsteams. They should be like the original 6 in hockey (notice I'm not saying Euro teams). By my estimation only the Fire, DC United, and maybe FC Dallas (witholding the "FC Dallas" splashed across the front, at least it doesn't have seismic waves like the 'Quakes jerseys), and Chivas. The rest of the teams are still cheesey and need work (even teh Metros, the team badge is still amateurish).

And the Rhinos badge doesn't have to be like Man Us, with stylized demons (insert Rhinos instead, which would be cool but whatever). It could be someting sleak (Aresenal redid their badge into a much more modern design), but as long as it is well done. As is, the badge wouldn't be proper for a high school team. It's gimicky.

14. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    "Ragin' Rhinos" is kinda...well...lame, but there's nothing wrong with "Rochester Rhinos". I thought that was the official name anyway--isn't "Ragin' Rhinos" just sort of a nickname?? If not, it certainly could be in the MLS version of the club.

As for the logo...yeah, it's bad, but there's no reason it couldn't be restyled as the last guy said...and if we're comparing it to other major sports in the US it's not any worse than Chief Wahoo, the Anaheim Mighty Ducks logo, or the whole Stanford tree thing.

15. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    To begin with, who compared the Rochester Ragin' Rhinos logo to those of the New York Yankees or Boston Bruins? I certainly didn't.

As for not being able to compare the logos because the Ragin' Rhinos mark is "amateurish", you're wrong. The inability to compare the marks has nothing to do with the "professionalism" of their respective designs. Rather, it would be foolish to do so given the fact that the logos of the Yankees and Bruins were designed in an entirely different era than that of the Ragin' Rhinos. It would be like comparing apples and oranges. Design techniques and standards have changed.

A "poor logo" in your estimation. However, team management and - more importantly -the fan base in Rochester have both overwhelmingly embraced the Ragin' Rhinos identity package. You'd be hard-pressed to identify a majority of Rochester fans who believe that the Ragin' Rhinos primary mark is a "poor logo".

As for the logo having been designed by some "hack", it is - in point of fact - the work of graphic design professional Doug Steinmiller. Mr. Steinmiller's other pro sports clients have included the Rochester Knighthawks and the National Lacrosse League. In short, Mr. Steinmiller possesses a level of training and professionalism in graphic design that raises him above the level of a "hack". Just out of curiosity, do you possess the same level of training and experience in the field?

You're assuming that Major League Soccer doesn't wish to embrace the Rochester Ragin' Rhinos branding tradition. Where is the evidence to suggest that this is Major League Soccer's attitude? Why wouldn't Major League Soccer wish to embrace a team branding tradition that has been in place for a decade in Rochester and enjoyed the popular support of the majority of Rochester soccer fans during that period of time? The fact is, there is no evidence to suggest that this would be Major League Soccer's attitude in the event that Rochester should be absorbed into the league. Speaking of which...

You're confused, "my friend". You're making my argument for me. In point of fact, the reason that MLS was ready, willing and able to distance itself from the MetroStars initial logo package was the very fact that the MetroStars had not yet had a chance to establish any long-standing traditions with regard to logos. This is in contrast to Rochester's current situation, where the majority of fans have had a decade to weigh-in on the Ragin' Rhinos identity... and support it.

No, they wouldn't. Again, you're making my argument for me. Why did MLS dump the Clash identity package? Because it didn't resonate with the fan base. What did MLS replace the Clash identity package with? The Earthquakes identity package, which harkened back to a soccer team identity that fans in the Bay Area did support... just as Rochester supports the Ragin' Rhinos identity.

Here's reality: Major League Soccer dropped the ball in a big way when it allowed Nike to have free reign with the development of team identity packages (names, logos, uniforms, etc.) prior to the league's launch. Nike's designers and marketing people were virtually working in a vacuum in Beaverton, Oregon and it showed. That was a "step back" for MLS.

Successful sports branding dictates that a team's name, logo and uniforms either need to be the result of grass-roots market research in the host community prior to the franchise launch, or the team's identity package has to stand the test of time. The Rochester Ragin' Rhinos identity has stood the test of time and is embraced by the vast majority of fans in the team's home market. If Major League Soccer is smart, it won't tamper with that established branding success. MLS should recognize the strength of the brand-equity that the Ragin' Rhinos name carries in the Rochester market and leave well enough alone. To change the Ragin' Rhinos brand at this juncture would actually be another "step back" on the part of MLS.

I'm all for MLS following the North American template with regard to branding sports franchises. It makes sense to follow the traditions of the North America when doing business in the North American marketplace. That said, another branding tradition dictates that one shouldn't screw around with an established tradition. Why? Because continuity and longevity lead to the perception of a sports team's identity package being "great".

Despite the fact that you may not embrace it, the Ragin' Rhinos identity package is now an established - and supported - tradition for soccer fans in Rochester. As I said in my original post, it is up to the supporters of a team - in this case, the Rochester Ragin Rhinos' supporters - to determine what constitutes their club traditions. In Rochester, the vast majority of fans have made their voices heard: they love their current name in its entirety, their current logo in all is cartoonish charm and their current colors in all their bold glory.

It doesn't matter what you think of the Rochester Ragin' Rhinos identity package; you're a MetroStars fan. Your opinion doesn't matter one iota. It doesn't matter what I think of their identity package; I'm a New England Revolution fan. My opinion doesn't matter. As long as they're happy with their team's identity and traditions, that is all that matters... and the suits at MLS will tamper with that formula at their own peril.

16. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure over time the logo will develop just as many sports logos in N. America do.

Also, the "ragin' " gets smaller and smaller with each new season.

17. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they should change their name to the Rochester Raging Rhinoz with a z.......whatever happened to the z fad anyways?

Doesn't chivas mean "Goats" in spanish? I'm pretty apathetic about the whole euro debate.......It works for some teams (FC Dallas is a much better name than the Dallas Burn) but I couldn't see Rochester being anything but the Rhinos.

The plunger butt Koalas is a good name too......It's a perfect name for LA to change to!

18. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes this is pointless. The Rochester Rhinos name and logo wont change if and when we go to the MLS, the only thing that will change is the Raging. The people of Rochester don't call them the Raging Rhinos anyhow, they just say Rochester Rhinos. The Raging will probably go extinct, as it is well on its way right now, and to say if Rochester doens't change its name and or logo it will bring down the MLS well that is very ignorant to say. People shouldn't say things about Rochester going MLS if they haven't been to a game or have seen PaeTec Park in person. It is magnificent.

19. bjdaly

bjdaly New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    Rochester, NY, USA
    All you have to do is go around this area and see how much Rhinos stuff is out there. Particularly in soccer circles and among young soccer players. Changing the name would be foolish. Is a logo redesign possible? Absolutely, it could help drum up sales. However, I don't think the Rhinos name is going anywhere. It may not be a huge brand on a national scale, but it certainly is on a local scale.

20. Guelah Papyrus

Guelah Papyrus New Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Fairport, NY
    And take into account that you can only buy Rhino's stuff at the stadium. They don't sell their wears at any of the local sports stores. (Which continues to baffle me).

21. bjdaly

bjdaly New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    Rochester, NY, USA
    True. It can be difficult to get into traditional sales channels. I know Locker Room Sports used to sell their stuff, but I haven't been there recently.

A lot of the merchandise out there can be attributed to soccer camps and junior Rhinos teams though. That's been a key part of the Rhinos successful branding among the youth.

22. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The owner of Recognition Experts who is the SOUL holder of Rhinos merchandise licensing is a partner of Frank DuRoss's in ownership of the Rochester Rattlers. It's really another area of the Rhinos that is quite minor league and I hope changes soon. Not a single sporting goods store in the city sells Rhinos stuff other than Soccer Shack who has 3 or 4 official jersies it buys through the jersey supplier and NOT Recognition Experts. AND the jersies are more expensive to buy than a Manchester United jersey.