Team names

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by IHaveWorms, Jun 3, 2010.

?

Soccer team names: International or american version?

1. FC, AC, Real

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nicknames

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I couldn't care less as long as the city/area is included.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. They should poll NYRB fans "Would you prefer keeping the new stadium and DP signings or go back to Giants Stadium?"

1 person likes this.
  2. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the fans want to go back to Giants Stadium, I just think the fans didn't want the team name changed to the Red Bulls when Red Bull bought it out. Either way, it doesn't matter to me. I applaude Red Bull for building a great stadium and buying DP's. I just don't get the changing of the name to the New York Red Bulls. It's not my team though.

3. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume they paid a good deal of money to change the team name. It's more of a case of "beggars can't be choosers". Sure the ideal situation would have been keeping the name MetroStars AND getting a new stadium, but if you asked NY fans if they would prefer a team name or a stadium most would choose the latter. Bayer Leverkusen was named after a company 100 years ago. I wonder how many their fans complain about that?

4. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It could've been really nice, if kept the name simple representing New York something like FC New York, then showing sponsorship heavily.

It really feels like overdone - New York Redbulls, Red Bull Park, Red Bull on Logo, Huge RedBull as Jersey sponsor, etc.

5. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's waaaay overdone. But like I said, it's not my team so I don't care. But I can tell you that the change turned a lot of people off from the team. I'm not saying it's right, but it happened.

6. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayer Leverkusen was the name when the team started. New York started as the Metrostars and gained a core base and then changed the name when Red Bull bought it out. I think things would have been different if the team started out as New York Red Bulls instead of Metrostars. Of course fans would have chosen the stadium over the name, but why did it have to be one or the other? Metrostars playing at Red Bull Arena with the Red Bull logo on the jersey as the sponsor.

7. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Red Bull wants everyone, whether the media or fans, to say "Red Bulls" every time they refer to the team. It's free advertising for their company.

I mean, look at how many times I plugged their product in just this one post. They didn't want anyone using the name "Metrostars" any more.

8. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they lose games because they spend too much time spelunking Wikipedia instead of training. Which I understand completely.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nicknames is the only way to go. but it's beyond idiotic when you call the team "FC" instead of "SC" and "real" instead of "royal" or "regal."

i like soccer because i like the sport of soccer...i want the team name to represent me not to help me fit in with big brother europe.

1 person likes this.
  10. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    SC = Sporting Club.

I guess you meant ST = Soccer Team?

I would be cool if FC Dallas renamed to ST Dallas.

11. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or SC because they are referred to as MLS "clubs". I like the baseball name "Athetics". That could be used in lieu of AC. Sounds less pretentious.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the Brazilian team Corinthians have anything to do with the book in the bible?

13. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    actually, they are named after a british team that had the same name. i dont know what the story is behind that name, but the wanted to model themselves after the original corinthians team.

they valued something more than just winning cups.

there is more story to this team, and its amazing how big their impact was back then.

http://www.corinthian-casuals.com/clubinfo/history.php

14. Garby80

Garby80 New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Copenhagen
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Free means something you don't pay for :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  15. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    uh.. or FC because they are also currently referred to as "FC"? what was the point again in the first place?

AC = Athletics Club, so you should have no problem with it if you like "Athletics".

16. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yes, they are paying for all of those, but it could be less effective if it's overdone.

17. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I mean a name like "Kansas City Athletics". Not AC Kansas City

*and yes I'm aware there was a KC Atheltics baseball team back in the 60's and 70's ;)

18. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many times have you been paid to say "Red Bull"?

19. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bull knew they would annoy some MetroStar fans when they rebranded the club, but it's still a great way to advertise for them. Hell, we're having a discussion about Red Bull right now, not Monster :p

20. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Metrostar wasn't exactly a great name either, so between Red Bulls and Metrostars, I don't really care.

For one of the New York teams, I would like to see something like New York City FC.
    One of them New York City FC, and the other one New York Cosmos. That would be perfec!!

21. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I dunno, "Robots of Doom" is starting to grow on me. :D

It's kind of like this horrible movie I saw on MST3K once, where there was a girl/guy combo called the "Astronauts of Rhythm" ("we're out of this world...") who sang some song called "Yikes Stripes," or something (I have no idea why I remember this :eek:).

I kid you not.

22. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Getafe says: Oh you didn't know?

[​IMG]

23. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    To let everyone know, the official name of the Impact has been

Impact de Montreal FC
    -------------------
    Montreal Impact FC

since the establishment in 1992/1993.

So that solves the needs of the guy say we should be called Impact de Montreal, as well as everyone saying it should be "CF Impact de Montreal, like in France"(Never heard of Toulouse FC, FC Metz, FC Sion(French-Swiss)?)

Please tell your friends, since seeing everyone suggest things that have been in place for near on 20 years is agonizing.

Imagine if everyone and their mothers said DC United should be called DC United?

24. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not forget that the original O/I of the team also owned MetroMedia, so the name "MetroStars" was a bit of an ad from the beginning.

25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Metromedia had been folded into Fox almost 10 years before the MetroStars had even been formed. There wasn't anything for MetroStars to be advertising for.