Team Name, Colors, Kit, Crest, etc.

Discussion in 'Charlotte FC' started by GermanAmerican, Mar 27, 2012.

1. reedinthewind

reedinthewind Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    Also, lets remember that both the gamecocks and the tarheels are both refered to as 'Carolina' so its not that big of a deal to have the team away from SC (or NC for that matter) and still call it Carolina Airborne. But I like Airborne FC better.

2. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Potential Sponser

[​IMG]

3. reedinthewind

reedinthewind Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    god that killed the conversation. how about a poll?

Carolina Airborne
    Airborne FC
    Oak City FC
    Carolina United

What else. (and ElB if you make a list of 30 names that include ridiculous stuff like "commodores, platoon or squadron" i'm going to pee on an orphan)

4. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another for the list... Raleigh Railhawks (if they move to Raleigh) / Carolina Railhawks (if they stay in Cary)

Carolina United please take this off the list! Turrible. Just turrible.

My vote is for Oak City FC.

I've been trying to think of a Club name using either 'Wake' or 'Triangle', but haven't come up with anything yet. I feel like those are more descriptive of the region than 'Carolina' (if Raleigh specific names are too unpopular).

5. reedinthewind

reedinthewind Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    yes! carolina united is bland

6. Sounder_in_Carolina

May 2, 2011
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Carolina United....agreed, don't want it.

Combine both
    Carolina Oaks :cool:

I have no expereince with Raleigh or its history so having trouble seeing why Oak City FC. Has any top tier US professional team done anything like that before? If it is that much apart of the culture could be marketing gold...but is it something that is a major part of the culture and city?

7. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely understand the lack of broad appeal of the Oak moniker for people outside of Wake County. If chosen by a future MLS franchise, its purpose would be to attempt local civic pride and an absolute unique twist on the American sports club naming convention.

To your question about the culture; the actual nickname for Raleigh is the "City of Oaks". Raleigh is very wooded - even within the city - something that most people appreciate and some people take pride in. On New Years Eve, the city celebration drops a huge acorn (ala NYC dropping an apple). An oak tree is also in the city logo. The convention center also has a 'shimmer wall' of lighted glass that forms the shape of an oak tree.

http://raleighskyline.com/images/09...9_shimmer_wall_colo_raleighskyline.com_13.jpg

But to my knowledge there isnt any festival of oaks or a large community cultural celebration of any sort.

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carolina Researchers???

9. reedinthewind

reedinthewind Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    Well its better than the "Commodores"!, but i see through your mocking ways ElBo :0 I had forgotten about the Acorn dropping on new years eve, Oak City Football Club is sweet and you know what, it will take 1 conversation for people to actually learn something about the city and the team. OH NO LEARNING!!!

I bet you'd like 'Searchers FC' (instead of your researchers) kinda homage to what many consider to be the best John Wayne movie, however they are wrong, its Big Jake.

"Airborne" is pretty money. Plus there are all sorts of songs and chants about the 82nd that we could sing. This one may seem a little corny but could fill a stadium with song easily.

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, you could have one side saying AIR-BORRRRRRRR--OOOORRRRRR-NNEEE... while the other side says cryptically quiet, "Shoot; Shoot; Shoot the Son of a B*tch."

11. offside33

offside33 Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Academica Carolina a la Associação Académica de Coimbra.
    The flag should be something like this to represent the triangle.

12. Akhan786

Akhan786 Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Although I'm a Duke fan and had some reservations about Carolina blue being the color for our possible MLS team, I do like the color scheme with the maroon. It reminds me of West Ham. It would be an awful pill to swallow, but I also wouldn't mind neon/Carolina blue with black.

My favorite would probably be silver/gray and black because it would be something different and iconic. I personally love the Brooklyn Nets jerseys and there's some kind of classiness to it as well. I'd be open to putting a dash of purple in there as well like you put in this scheme.

A random name I'll throw out there is Carolina Fusion FC. I really can't think of any historical significance, but it's an Academy team here and I've always thought it had a nice ring to it.

13. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't be surprised to see the Carolina Panthers ownership get involved someday putting a team in Charlotte and pick up the old ABA team nickname and call them the "Carolina Cougars FC".

logo.jpg

MLS1FAN repped this.
  14. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please...no more cats.

I'm originally from Raleigh, grew up in NC, and want nothing more than an MLS team in my home state to pull for. Screw Atlanta, screw Florida. Let's go Carolina!

Although I like the Railhawks, they seem a little too "cute" for the big leagues, and I've never been able to get behind them.

Been following the thread, and thought the idea of flight would be a good one.

What about:

Carolina Aeronautic FC (nod to both sea and air, strong sounding, nickname the Aeros)
    Carolina Aviators FC
    Carolina Battalion FC (slight nod to that team in Charleston, which has a kick ass name)

I'm not a fan of using FC all the time, but if we use SC and the team is located in NC (most likely), people are going to confuse the shit out of our abbreviation.

15. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PS: Airborne is wimpy vitamin tablet developed by sniffling teachers (nothing against teachers...I am one). But let's not associate ourselves with such things.

16. reedinthewind

reedinthewind Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    A
    Airborne is also the name of one of America's elite fighting forces.....I'm sure that trumps the tablet.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No love for Carolina Crescent or Crescent Carolina?

Saint Devious repped this.
  18. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I finally read up on the 82nd Airborne out of Fort Bragg and am starting to like the name alot. Especially after finding this image:

[​IMG]

I'm no jingoist, but the phrase "Airborne all the way" is cool.

19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's sad when you have to justify not being a "jingoist" when either supporting the military or showing patriotism.

20. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's even sadder is when those two things are used interchangeably. One could argue that unquestioning support of everything that the military does is jingoistic but not patriotic.

jin·go·ism

noun \ˈjiŋ-(ˌ)gō-ˌi-zəm\

: extreme chauvinism or nationalism marked especially by a belligerent foreign policy

21. Saint Devious

Saint Devious New Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Greensboro, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The notion is very unorthodox, but I think MLS needs to have a team in Greensboro, NC. The Greensboro Triad region is a larger metropolitan area than places with NFL teams like New Orleans and Jacksonville. However, Greensboro does not host any upper league professional sports teams. As the only Major League team in the city, an MLS GREENSBORO UNITED FC would be massively popular within Greensboro and the entire Triad region.
    Greensboro United logo8.png
    The Triad region is a well known hotbed of soccer in the United States. The wildly successful Carolina Dynamo are very well supported and sell out most games even though they are located in Browns Summit. Our largest university (UNCG) has a well known and respected soccer program.

If GREENSBORO UNITED FC were to have a stadium in the newly redeveloped downtown giving access to the local 5 colleges and the surrounding Triad area the stadium would be sold out every home game and would be the most supported soccer team in the southeast region.

The primary colors in the crest Green and Gold are symbolic of the city flag: [​IMG]
    And the alternate color blue in the crest is the color of the Guilford County crest: [​IMG]

The motto "Courage & Faith," could also be borrowed from the Guilford County crest. The United in the FC name honors the struggles of the many textile workers that were once predominant in the area.. Other nicknames could be the Battalion, the Generals (local hockey and baseball teams have also been named this), or the Militia, etc. could be used as well.

22. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    uh, i lived in NC for many years ... why are all of the suggested names military in nature ... if you are putting a team in the Triangle ... the most well educated and liberal part of the state a military name isn't exactly speaking to your core soccer audience now is it? how much do young, hip, well educated, fairly well off professionals in the Triangle area give two shites about military themes?

how about trying to focus on a team name that might actually be appealing to your core target audience? and i definitely thing Triangle needs to be part of the name to bring in all of those communities ... calling it Raleigh just upsets those in Durham or Chapel Hill where lots of your fans are coming from.

just my two cents from somebody who lived in Charlotte and Durham for many years.

Triangle FC
    Carolina Hypotenuses
    AC Equilateral

23. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    Why not just support this?

[​IMG]

SYoshonis repped this.
  24. Saint Devious

Saint Devious New Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Greensboro, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I do support the Railhawks, but I would much rather support an MLS or NASL team from my hometown of Greensboro that represents the Triad area than drive 2 hours away to see the Railhawks. You have to understand, that the Charlotte, Triad, and Triangle regions of NC are very very different from one another and share a bit of a rivalry, particularly on display in college sports.

25. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Because not everyone lives in Cary or likes the RailHawks name and colors for a MLS team.