Team name/badge/colors/uniforms/ideas...

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by Laramie, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite the contrary. Everyone that's met me in meatspace from BigSoccer loves me and wants to buy me drinks.

At this point, you could just admit that you really had no idea that it might be offensive to Indians to grab some of their culture and/or religion and slap it on your poorly thought out logo/badge. You could have admitted you had no grasp of the rising tide against such logos, team names, and the economic and social backlash against "designers" that have essentially been co-opting Indian imagery because, you know, "Buckskin/Feathers are the New Black".

Or you can just go play with Photoshop some more and wonder why some Indians might be offended that they're the only ones who get "honored" by such jackassery.

2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not pissed about the flag in the least. I am in favor of ridding this country of every Indian sports moniker. We're not here to be anyone's mascots.

Funny that it's always done to "honor" Indians, and no one else gets to put up with it.

Yeah. Slavery, Ethnic Cleansing, Assimilation, and a Civil War didn't bring this country down, but letting racist sports logos, names & mascots die out is going to kill us.

That and letting "teh gheys" get married.

So, I'm told.

3. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then don't get pissed Zuran, he made clear he did it since its on the flag as a symbol. Most people don't associate names like Redskins and Indians as having any connection to the past wrongs, they're simply team names. It's when people try to make it an issue that people get pissed and defend the names. Guess next up is changing the Milwaukee Brewers because it reminds them of Schlitz

4. elitespy

elitespy Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    An Indian that cares, this is the first time I have seen that since that crying Indian commercial.

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/amyodell/victorias-secrets-native-american-gaffe-continue

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...n-normalizes-oppression-Native-Americans.html

http://www.thefrisky.com/2013-12-16...es-in-dallas-fashion-show-kind-of-apologizes/

Sorry. Our cultures are not a trend, nor are they a clip art library for dickholes to use. Did his feelings get hurt? Too bad.

Really?

[​IMG]

That sucks for them, I guess. I guess what people that like to keep these names don't get is that we're all just a bit tired of it. Now that pretty much every other minority doesn't have to put up it, I guess we're just the last group that people want to keep their bigotry for, just a little bit longer.

You know that guy was Italian, right? Played Indian just to get in the movies.

Kinda like that coach that the Redskins are supposedly trying to honor. Not Sioux.

Nevertheless, trust me, we care, we always have, you're just been ignoring us, pretending we're all dead, like the Vikings I suppose.

After a century and a half of first having the dominant culture try to scrub and erase out cultures, languages, customs out of existence though Assimilation, watching sometimes the last people who spoke their tribal language as their first or only language slowly die off, then followed by the appropriation of elements of those cultures though cartoonish caricatures and Hollywood stereotypes, yeah, we're a bit tired of it. We just have the ability to put that message out there now w/o anyone being able to suppress it. Thank you Al Gore, for the internet.

Sorry I have to give you clowns a history lesson every few weeks. Eventually, you'll all learn and we can move on as a country and just start referring to each other as "Americans".

Cactus Hibs repped this.
  6. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    While I might not have been as caustic as you in my reply, I agree with what you are saying in spirit about the misappropriation of Native American symbols and use of offensive names for sports teams. I have no doubt that he only used the feathers because they are in the state flag, genuinely meaning no offense, and as a Native American myself, have no issue with. It's paying tribute to something that is closely related to the state, which is the same thing the flag does, not creating a caricature.

As far as everything else you've mentioned, I agree. Sadly, the feelings towards Native Americans in this country will never change, we both know that. As a demographic who has suffered through marginalization and genocide, to near extinction, we have become nothing more, in the minds of the average American who, without a hint of hypocrisy rails against the evils of immigrants, than caricatures who can be appropriated for whatever product they happen to be selling.

7. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a gift
    You're entitled to your opinion on the subject, but not meaning any offense, doesn't mean that something isn't offensive. And while it is closely related to the State, it's also related to the state because of forced relocation. Allowing it continue, however benign, gives a toe hold to those who hold names like Redskins & Savages so dear, not to mention those that so easily shit all over NDN culture for profit or hipster cred.

I thought like that once too, but given the ever declining support for such imagery, names, etc, I have hope that Chief Wahoo will be buried and the r3dskins name will be retired in my lifetime. But it won't happen if I don't work to make it so, all while working to rescue the culture that was so hated for so long, only to become branding & mockery.

8. C. B.

C. B. Member

Sep 6, 2013
    OKC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, how about that name/badge/colors/uniform ideas?
    Any updates?

9. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. No updates about anything.
    OKC NASL website; nothing.
    OKCFC website: nada.
    NPSL website: zilch.
    Just, "I've heard from someone, who knows someone, who used to sleep with one of the guys, that there's going to be an announcement soon..." Been hearing that for about a month now. Getting tired of waiting, personally. And I've been one of the people sticking my neck out around here for this team. I'm starting to not really care.
    In this day and age of social media, you can float info VERY easily. No one is saying crap! That doesn't look good. And with Jacksonville giving their team name/colors today, and with the nRg ready to start a season soon, it looks EVEN WORSE!
    To paraphrase Erin Brockovich, "I don't know know where they went to marketing school, but the SUCK at it!"

10. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Even just something regarding the NPSL would be a sign of life at this point.

Speaking of which, how often do teams say from Oklahoma play a team, say from Baltimore? My wife's all time favorite DCU player will be coaching a Baltimore NPSL team

11. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would only be if they both got to, probably, the national semi-finals. even though there has been NO announcement from the team people, the NPSL has already put out a schedule with OKC FC on it?!? The South Central Region is broken up into North and South, with the teams playing everyone in their division twice, and the teams in the other division once.

12. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
  13. C. B.

C. B. Member

Sep 6, 2013
    OKC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what made me revisit this thread. I saw the Jacksonville unveiling and was impressed. Nice colors, strong logo.

It made me want to see something exciting from the OKC NASL camp. I thought I read a few weeks ago that they met with a design team regarding colors & logo.

It would only take a few tweets to let people know the wheels are still moving.

ManuSooner repped this.
  14. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I mean!! How f'ing hard is it to simply say, "Stay tuned" every now and then??!!?

15. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Maybe, with the rumored pull out of McLaughlin, there is nothing to say. He seemed, at least the way it was explained to me, the driving force behind the soccer push, and if he is really gone, maybe so is the team?

That would be a terrible thought though, because there are a lot of passionate fans who are going to miss having something they can support in the city.

16. C. B.

C. B. Member

Sep 6, 2013
    OKC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it naive to think that group of fans would give the usl pro side a chance?
    I've read manu's stance and reasoning enough times to understand where he's coming from. Totally get it.
    But is that too much to overcome to see some live soccer? Not flaming, just asking.

17. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even Nashville FC has a better grasp on social media than OKC NASL!

18. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I'm willing to support all the teams, although I have been a part of OKCFC's group from the start and have been a solid supporter of the NASL effort.

I do know that a few people feel poisoned and burned by the twists and turns, false starts and various actions taken by the groups to the point that they're abandoning all the teams and focusing on MLS.

The more I see and hear from Energy, the less skeptical I become. I do plan on attending as many of their games as I can, and if they're the team left at the end of the day, they're my team.

I wanted a team in Oklahoma City, and I'm getting three. If I'm left with one, so be it.

C. B. repped this.
  19. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The NASL appears to have a good foothold in San Antonio and Indianapolis. Some markets in the NASL could be in a position to merge with the MLS should things go south for the new NASL.

This does cloud the hopes for many fans who were anticipating the NASL making a strong presence in OKC.
    Especially when ManuSooner, who keeps in the know--says "No one is saying crap! That doesn't look good..."

Hearing that Jacksonville will be announcing their team cosmetics today; it does keep this situation with OKC NASL in limbo. There are a number of auto window stickers in view and soft promotions going on with the USL-Pro OKC Prodigal LLC Energy group in the metro area.

The concern with having two groups jockeying for positions in which one starts play in 2014 and the other in 2015 is this: If the NASL OKC group starts advertising early while the USL-Pro Energy campaign is going on --it would easily benefit the USL-Pro group. You must admit that this element for confusion is high with both groups building their profiles. An early NASL marketing blitz would only benefit the USL-Pro franchise, since they will be starting early.

Seeing that the team doesn't begin play until 2015, maybe an announcement is forthcoming.

[​IMG]

"By The Numbers… North American Soccer League vs. Major League Soccer."--http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/2013...can-soccer-league-vs-major-league-soccer.html

20. C. B.

C. B. Member

Sep 6, 2013
    OKC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the Jacksonville Armada FC logo that was unveiled today.
    [​IMG]

21. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Looks great!

The Jacksonville Armada FC will have a full year to market its brand.

Orlando which is approximately 125 miles from Jacksonville shouldn't compromise their market when Orlando moves into the Major League Soccer. Orlando is an established NBA market; whereas, Jacksonville has managed to sustain itself as an NFL market.

22. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Who knows, could this signal an eventual return of the Roughnecks to the North American Soccer League (NASL)?

Fans vote to resurrect Roughnecks name for new Tulsa pro soccer team:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_5f48c868-d653-5fc7-bc2e-c1f9567273b1.html

It would be great if they could use the 'original' Tulsa Roughnecks logo--it would certainly bring back memories. 2015 will see a new long awaited 'in state' rivalry with the Oklahoma City Energy who will begin USL-Pro play in 2014. This will be great for soccer in the state of Oklahoma.

OKC will also have a team in the NASL beginning 2015. Tim McLauglin (NASL-OKC expansion), who was the primary owner of the team has withdrawn and the other investors have picked up the slack.

23. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can the Tulsa shit not stay in the Tulsa fora?

24. C. B.

C. B. Member

Sep 6, 2013
    OKC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the Tulsa fora?

25. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe