Team MVP for 2002

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by MockaMooDoe, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Hello all, I spent some time reading up on what goes on here and thought it may be time for me to express my points of views like the rest of you. I'll start with this subject since it seems to at least have posts that offer some sense, unlike many of the others I've just finished reading.

As far as MVP, I think there are some good arguments for all the players mentioned often. CC has the goals to back up those who consider him, though he still reminds me of some former productive forwards (well, goal scorers that couldn't do anything else) who either can't seem to cut it anymore or are no longer of value to MLS teams. Chung has the points to back up his complaints from NY about wanting to get away from the left side and be around the ball more. CHenderson like has already been mentioned, runs all day, is one of the few guys who seems to understand CV thoughts, and continues placing himself in offensive positions.

My vote however, will go to Carlos Valderrama. As the season has gone on, more of his teammates have learned of his on the field value, and strategy the coach has. Pass the ball forward through him. Take him out of the midfield and see what happens, you'll be back to early last year or any previous year. When was the last time the Rapids had three players with the scoring numbers they currently have, and none of these is last years top 11 player/captain who has 4 game winning goals in a short time.

I realize the stats mentioned in other post about secondary assists, and how many he has and Chung has and this and that. But lets remember that the team has at least a target and focus on the field. Not sure if Chung would be as unselfish having the plays start with him, and by that I mean, starting plays that sometimes don't count as assists, be it primary or seconday. CV is vital to the way the team plays, and that is a reason that CC, CH and MC all have the numbers they have. Many players can get the ball in the box and score, (we have four of them), but how many players can start a play that allows others to get in those situations??

2. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    First, Welcome aboard know it all.

Then:
    A guy who can finish is the rarest commodity in all of soccer. All over the world teams put up with all kinds of wierd or lazy behavior from a player for the reason that he has the capacity to score. CV pulling that from the midfield is harder to take.

3. greenlightwilly

greenlightwilly New Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Colorado
    I don't see how you can draw that conclusion from the responses so far. It looks to me like Chung is the clear winner here - although CC is running a close second.

BTW, how is Chelo working out for you guys?

4. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you people all on dope? Team MVP will be Seth Trembly. He had the breakaway that almost had him bag his first MLS goal.

Not to slam Seth, but think the real competition is between Chung and Henderson.

The tie breaker that we need to factor in is how many autographs each player has written out and the number of times they've been to the post game party.