Team for Swiss Game

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by finlma, Oct 1, 2003.

1. finlma

finlma New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    What do people think the starting 11 should be against Switzerland. I'd go with the following:

Given (GK)
    Carr (RB)
    O'Shea (CB)
    Breen (CB) Only cause there's no one else
    Finnan (LB) Not Harte please!
    Duff (LM)
    Holland (CM)
    McPhail (CM) The best passer we have. Let Holland do the grafting and McPhail create the chance. Healy and Reid have been tried and have not performed.
    Keane
    Connolly He's in form, Morrison is not playing.

2. finlma

finlma New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    That team wouldn't be much good since its only got 10 players. I'd put Kilbane on the right.

3. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Agree on most but Healy is far better then McPhail. People have this idea of McPhail in their heads that he's some kind of Liam Brady, the fact is he's a light weight mid fielder who can hit a decent ball when given about 10 minutes to think about it. Every cap he's had has proved he's not upto it, as has numerous managers at Leeds not picking him.

Other then that, I'd favour Reid over Kilbane on the right.

4. seanmcging

seanmcging New Member

Mar 24, 2003
    London
    I' like to see:

Given
    Carr
    Breen
    O'Brien
    O'Shea
    Kilbane
    A.Reid/Miller
    Holland
    Duff
    Keane
    Connolly

Left back is tricky, so best to put O'Shea there & give O'Brien a chance at Centre Back.
    Gave Kilbane a hard time for the last couple of years, but has had two good games recently for Ireland, good thing is if Duff starts on the right then if Kilbane does have a bad game then he can swap & get S.Reid in for the right.
    Not sure where Reid plays for Forest, but would like to see him given a chance, likewise with Miller. Connolly is on fire even though I do like Morrison better as a player but he is not getting a start at Birmingham, so Clinton to come on a sub to score the winner.