Team Colors

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by blazindw, Nov 11, 2009.

1. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, it seems like that MCS was on the right track with selecting our colors. There are not a lot of teams in the current USL-1 that will have our current color scheme. In fact, not a lot of teams will have blue or orange in their color scheme. Here are the teams as they currently break down (type of primary kit in parentheses):

Austin – red/white (red/white striped kit, white shorts, red socks)

Portland – forest green/yellow/white (all forest green kit)

Cleveland – green/white/black (black kit, green shorts, black socks)
    Baltimore – white/red/blue (white kit w/ red/blue sash, white shorts, white socks)
    FCNY – yellow/powder blue (kits TBD)

Tampa – green/gold (white w/ yellow/green striped sleeves kit, white shorts, white socks)

Charleston – yellow/black/red (yellow/black striped kit, black shorts, black socks)
    Puerto Rico – orange/white (all orange kit)

Rochester – black/white/gold (black/white striped kit, black shorts, black socks)

One thing that also shocks me, in taking a look at the teams, is the number of teams with striped primary kits (3, 4 if you include Tampa Bay). It would be interesting to see if Duggan a) sticks with the Bucks colors of white/black/orange, b) goes with the colors adopted by MCS of blue/orange, or c) goes with another color scheme depending on any rebranding of the new team.

2. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Detroit International! Sky blue, the color of the UN flag, and also many famous clubs around the world.

[​IMG]

Although, I suspect that the as-yet-unnamed foreign club with whom Dan Duggan is probably partnering will have something to do with the branding of the new team.

3. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe so too...the question I'm dying to know the answer to is: who's the club?! The anticipation is killing me! :)

4. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any timeline for when an announcement to be made? I'm really excited about Detroit coming up to USL1.

5. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully we'll know more in a month or so, as this USL/TOA situation gets sorted out.

6. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    If it's the Michigan Bucks moving up, I imagine it will be their team colors. :D

If not, or if they change their name/colors for the move, my vote is:

Name: Detroit Wheels (use the old WFL logo), or,

Cougars (homage to USA team of 1967)

Colors: either navy/orange/white, or royal blue/silver/white (and maybe yellow thrown in for good measure).

Please, no more red/black!!!!!!!

7. TheMoozer

TheMoozer New Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Detroit
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I was hoping for actually with Glentoran FC as the parent club. :)

8. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's old school! LOL

9. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure Glentoran is in a position to sponsor anyone else. It's not like the Northern Ireland league is awash with cash.

No, my guess is either a sort of mid-table Premiership club, or a big club from a second-tier European league (Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, that sort of thing).

10. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any of which I'd be happy with.

11. TheMoozer

TheMoozer New Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Detroit
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was kinda joking. ¬_¬

Is Derby a possibility? Their chairman has links to Detroit, doesn't he?

12. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ownership group has Detroit roots.

13. Jboc15

Jboc15 New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Detroit
    If they dont use blue/orange, I wouldnt mind seeing purple/black like Northwestern.

14. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI
    Ha Purple and Black...a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away when the Motor City Supporters first started we had a poll about what we should call ourselves and what our colors should be. Purple was in second place with the name "Purple Gang" for the supporters group. For those of you who aren't too familiar with Detroit history, Purple Gang recalls one of the more famous gangs from Detroit in the 20's when gangsters ran rampant.

So I wouldn't be too sad to see Purple and talk about unique...

15. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could live with that. It would be unique in MLS, and I love the whole Purple Gang tie-in.

16. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could live with purple, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I hope that our new colors (if we do not rebrand them with a partner European club) would tie in either to one of the other Detroit teams or to our state flag or Detroit's flag (depending on if we are called the Michigan ____ or the Detroit _____).

17. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI
    I may or may not be a fan of Fiorentina...haha

Purple looks good to me.

18. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you guys feel about the city flag (or state flag depending on the name of the team) being on the uniform somewhere? I always like how many teams in Spain put either the Spanish flag or the flag of their region on their jerseys. It would be cool to have a Detroit/Michigan flag on the back collar or on the right chest opposite the crest.

19. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI
    I'm not sure how this would work properly...If we aren't playing in Detroit proper, should we use the city flag? Say the stadium is in Pontiac, well do you think they might take offense to the use of the Detroit flag? If anything I'd say go with the Michigan flag somewhere in the design...and if you think about it even if you just have the Crest with the Deer and Elk part of the flag, obviously the rest of the flag is just a blue background and you put that on a sleeve or something I could be good with that.

20. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I didn't think about that...perhaps the Michigan flag would be the way to go. I was thinking about a couple teams in the NHL that use flags, like Vancouver, Calgary and Columbus...they use their state/province flag, which would be cool.

21. Jboc15

Jboc15 New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Detroit

That would be my first choice and I think it would be awesome because not a lot of teams wear purple. I just dont want a see a color that a lot of other teams use.

22. TheMoozer

TheMoozer New Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Detroit
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some kits I designed (poorly, lol)

based on Detroit flag:
    [​IMG]

purple kits:
    [​IMG]

Obviously, I didn't go into too much detail, but do you guys like where I'm going with these?

23. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like where you're going with the blue/white/red kits, although they look more American than Detroit. But, could be a good concept for the USMNT kits!

24. TheMoozer

TheMoozer New Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Detroit
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I thought that about halfway through, too. I'd have to take the Michigan flag off the shorts though.

25. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, they would be more suited to New England. Love the purple, though, but lose the yellow stripe.