Team Anthem...

Discussion in 'Colorado Supporters Clubs' started by teddy_montoya, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put me down for Rocky Mountain High.

2. Denvercal

Denvercal New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Northglenn
    I know its late in the anthem discussion, but what about "Hallelujah"? Can't you just hear a large crowd singing the chorus.

3. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would this be after each goal, or only every goal after the first?

:D

4. tsrapids49

tsrapids49 New Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Highlands Ranch
    " ole ole " is the best song after a goal there is. maybe you should just get into it more.:D

5. wilyZ

wilyZ Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, please, never attempt to have this song sung in a game. This has got to be one of the most...you know what, I'm not going to say, because I'll most likely be responded to with lectures on what state this is and such. However, you may want to ask yourself what year this is as well, because I'm pretty sure the '70s are over. If you're going to give us a team anthem (which in my opinion seems a ridiculous notion, because our regular attendance won't chant or sing, even if the board showed the lyrics and played the tune), please don't make it this song or any like it in terms of time. I'm not saying that you should pick a song from today's variety that some might find offensive (after all, today's music in every genre is either hated or loved), but for God's sake, don't turn the clock back 30 years, lest we all start growing afros and whipping out disco balls.

6. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being as this "debate" has been going on almost since the Earth cooled, I'll make a prediction: Won't. Ever. Happen.

Carry on.

7. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP.

8. wilyZ

wilyZ Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    different generations, different taste

9. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    For what it's worth, I think Rocky Mountain High as itself is a giant slice of Limburger cheese. But, that considered, I think it would be a fun song for fans to sing, regardless of taste, generation or sobriety level. Of all of the songs we've brainstormed (besides Glory Glory Colorado that we ripped from CU), it's the only song that says plainly that we're from Colorado and we're proud of it, and if we sing it after goals, it's gonna drive the point home even sweeter. Plus, the great thing about it being a folk song is you really don't have to have any great singing talent to get a decent rendition of it going, which is a good thing considering the London Philharmonic and Opera isn't recruiting any of us any time soon.

And the one other thing it really has going for it is it's one of only a few songs that we've brainstormed that the other casual fans at games might know the words to. If there's even half a chance in hell we can get a whole stadium singing one song, this would be it.

10. NL1NateDogg

NL1NateDogg New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Loveland
    How come almost all of the choices have to do with the altitude, or the state, and not the team??? I mean we are still the Rapids! right? Why not CCR's or even Ike and Tina Turners- " Proud Mary "" Rollin' on the River " I'd be willing to bet that more people know all of the words to that one already...;) And although from the 70's as well, more up beat and has bee done even today by bands...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XfyEpmQM7bw

11. wilyZ

wilyZ Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First bold: The fact that it's the only song we picked that says this means to me that it has nothing to compare to, which is less a good thing than picking through the metaphorical bargain bin: so long as it works, quality doesn't matter. But it does matter, and it's important that most people, if not everyone, think that it's a good song.

Second bold: Put simply, I have no idea what the lyrics are to this song except for "Rocky Mountain High", and I have no intention to learn them after hearing it from Teddy's post.

Third bold: there is NO chance in heaven, hell, or on earth that the crowd will actively participate in a chant.

Finally, we tried this song at the B&B game, and it died immediately. In my opinion, it's just a poor choice through and through.

12. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Are you seriously going to fake a logical analysis of this on me?

1)I said "Of all of the songs we've brainstormed." Read back through this thread and you'll see that there were at least 20-30 songs suggested here. There's also the thread "Team Anthem with Poll," which, while it didn't give a definitive choice, Rocky Mountain High was the leading vote getter. So there's your "majority."
    2) If you don't want to learn the song, then go right ahead. As I've said many times before and many other people have said here, no one's holding a gun to your head to make you sing it. But frankly, your cynicism is redefining "counterproductive" right now.
    3)Quite aware, but I'd much rather set my sights high and fail than not even bother trying.
    4)The B&B game had 2000 people in attendance and no one was making any noise that game anywhere, even for the goals. Probably hard for you guys to believe, but all of the chants you were singing weren't audible more than 3 sections over. It's an absolutely poor example and game to choose for that kind of a test run.

Now please, so that this doesn't turn into a sniping war, suggest a better song here if you don't like Rocky Mountain High. Just telling people you don't like the song over and over again really isn't accomplishing a thing, it's just undermining the efforts people are taking here.

13. NL1NateDogg

NL1NateDogg New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Loveland

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XfyEpmQM7bw

suggested...:cool:

14. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'm pretty sure that Green River by CCR was suggested, but never Proud Mary. And no one really got behind Green River in the thread, so it was left out of the poll. I like either one - Green River's probably got the better lyrics in terms of how they work with the Rapids, but more people are likely to know Proud Mary.

15. NL1NateDogg

NL1NateDogg New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Loveland

Most people know Proud Mary as Rolling on the River... so I would disagree with you that the lyrics are better with Green River... and I would be willing to garentee that your everyday joe at the game would be along especially by the time you hit rollin' on the river...:cool:

16. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Green River's about returning to a river that's a point of childhood bliss...Proud Mary's a bit darker and has more to do with having to work your butt off in dirty jobs just to get away to the river (as well of a bit of the metaphor of the cycle of life). As I said, I like both, so I'd enjoy singing either of the two.

17. wilyZ

wilyZ Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, so let me once read back my interpretation of very first f*cking sentence, or my "logical analysis". You've basically just tried to discredit my entire post. Whether or not you've succeeded, the fact of the matter is that this was a low blow, but so we avoid your little "sniping war", I'll throw in some extra points. For your majority point, I hardly consider something a majority when the runner-up is one vote behind. Furthermore, just because a song gets the most votes doesn't mean anything if it was voted on by the less active supporters. As for my cynicism, you're right, but not in this instance. I attempted to bring up some points that I felt brought input into the topic, but whatever. Finally, the population of the B&B game wasn't what I was referring to, but the sound of the chant. We had enough people chanting this song for it to be understood, yet it sounded horrible.