Team Anthem...

Discussion in 'Colorado Supporters Clubs' started by teddy_montoya, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Daminada

Daminada New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    To further prove my point, taken from wiki about the song YNWA:

"In England, the song's most successful performance was recorded in 1963 by the Liverpudlian Merseybeat group Gerry and the Pacemakers (peaking at number one in the singles chart for four consecutive weeks). It quickly became the anthem of Liverpool Football Club and is invariably sung by its supporters moments before the start of each home game.[2][3]"

This was a new song that was #1 in the charts for only 4 weeks (would that be a fad)? You guys have to stop looking at old crusty songs and pick one that is new and that will stick. Alter the lyrics if you have to but it pick something that can grow old with the club.

2. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    YNWA was atop the charts for 4 weeks almost entirely because of the football team's adaptations IIRC. It had already been a solidly popular song (it was penned for the play in 1945), but its chart value had more to do with football promoting it to the top.

The point that we shouldn't be so entrenched in the past is a fine point, but following it with Justin Timberlake as your idea? I don't consider myself a pop music connoisseur by any means, but the melodies in his songs are so forgettable, formulaic and lyrically cliched that it would take a massive stadium-wide singing effort to keep the anthem from dying out by May. He writes (or his label writes) songs designed to make cash quick and fade in the memory in time for the next single that sounds eerily similar. It's just not made to be an anthem, it's made to be background music while macking some chick.

Some bands today do make anthemic pop music - for example, that Matchbox 20 song from about 6 months ago ("Let's see how far we've come?" can't remember the title) had the typical sing-along chorus, big pumping beat and rock elements to make it feel like an anthem. I personally didn't care for it, but you can't account for taste there.

3. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You call it limiting, I call it being realistic. And I still would kill myself before I would sing Justin Timberlake in public, as would anybody the stadium that is not a 14-year-old girl. I want to pick something that really works, not something that will fail. They'll only sing if the song works...or if its Sponge Bob. As I said before, nobody is going to sing something that doesn’t work. Nobody will take it seriously either. Nobody will sing it if its plastic and cheesy. Virtually all pop music today is a shallow contrived fad. If you pick something thats a little bit older and has actually withstood time, odds are it will stick around longer. Common sense. As for coming up with a new song and lyrics...great, so are you gonna volunteer for that, or are you just gonna assume somebody else will do it for you? Also, knowing the FO, if this gets F'ed up the first time, you can say bye bye to that idea for a long time. A failed anthem will go the way of the cheerleaders.

4. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I think its best if we give this topic a break. Wait awhile and come back to it several months later and look what we have thought of. We're not gonna get it this year, so whats the rush? I think taking our time to choose a song carefully would be prudent.

5. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only faster.

6. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I intend to keep poking it with a stick until it either dies, or moves forward.

The Joker by Steve MIller. I'd love to hear 10k people hit the wolf-whistle part simultaneously, and watch all the kiddies turn their heads like a dog hearing a strange sound when we all sing "pompitous".

:D

7. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. This is why things DON'T get done, is because we want to sit on it, or brainstorm some more. Who cares, can we just get to a list of 15-20 f*********cking songs.

8. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    FYP...:)
    Exactly. Stop the B#ll Sh!t and make a decision on the list.

Sometimes it seems like the fans can never decide on something becasue no one can agree on anything. Prove me wrong and push this thing forward (and If I knew how to create a poll i would have).

Oh, and if you don't like the f'n song that is chosen don't sing. Don't sing it and don't bash it. Either learn how to go along with the ride or shut the hell up.

9. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure you can, just reread this thread. :p

If people are really ready to vote, someone will take the initiative and start a poll.

10. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see the rush, but thats fine if the majority wants to press on. Though I think we should take our time to collect more songs, and then gradually narrow them down through a series of polls.

11. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    So why not start with this set and make it that they cannot be submitted again?

12. TeleRock

TeleRock Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. Why not just use the "Glory, Glory Colorado" to the tune of Battle Hymn of the Republic that is posted on C-Firm's website?

The credits go to Bilfish and Chili . . . a nice co-sponsored venture right?

And it's beyond ridiculously easy. I mean. Anyone can just hum the parts they don't know and it shouldn't get too garbled if you had half the stadium doing it.

I think it would be nice too, because it points out the signifigance of our rivalry with FSL.

13. TeleRock

TeleRock Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. Double post, suffer through it.

Regardless of what song is chosen, I would like to make a suggestion on how to get people actually singing the song together.

We should make print outs of the lyrics that we can give to sections 108 and 114. Maybe even more that we can give to the sections next to us. Then, at predetermined times in the game say the 30 min mark, after a goal, etc. C-Firm sends some of their loudest people over to Class VI. I would suggest 8 total. They spread out 4 to a side on each aisle along section 108. They then coordinate the song with C-Firmers in 114 to begin.

Basically, it's like the C-Firmers become the pseudo cheerleaders for the song. With a handful of loud C-Firmers and the rest of Class VI in section 108, we should be able to get the majority of the people singing. Section 114 shouldn't really have that much trouble getting their section singing. Then you have two sections fully coordinated with the song and hopefully people sitting between the two sections would begin pick up on it after a while.

Meh?

14. superrapids

superrapids New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Denver
    A few have suggested Rocky mountain High. I know it has a cheese factor, but that's part of the fun. Not to mention that it is part of Colorado lor and because it is bublegum singer songwriter pop music, it's easy to learn and everyone know the lyrics. Hell I could probably recite the lyrics to Spice Girls songs, but I'm going to medication for that. Most teams in the UK that have team anthems aren't hip now tunes. Hello **********cat, Glad all over, my bonnie etc. you'll never walk alone is a dreadful song but it has local Liverpool meaning.

I think it would unifying to have everyone in the stadium singing Rocky Mountain High. And it sounds even better drunk.

Just my 2 cents. But I'm always game for Slayer too!

15. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How to start an anthem:

Get six loudmouths to agree to sing something at the start. Lather, Rinse, Repeat until the section sings it, like we did with "Ole Can of Burr"

I'm singing the "Rocky Mountain High" Chorus:

That Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    I've seen it raining fire in the sky
    Shadow of the Starlight
    Softer than a lullaby
    Rocky Mountain High (Colorado)
    (Repeat, fade)

I need four other C-Frimers (my sons will be on board) and six CVIers to pledge. Ten Seconds after kickoff (the stadium yells a little at the kickoff).

16. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW: Glory, Glory Colorado will be the new goal song. I'll die to make this happen. "Ole, Ole" had got to find another home.

17. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we have forward momentum.

I'm not committing yet, but I'm in favor of the plan.

18. We encourage everyone to come to a resolution on this issue so it is in place for game #1

19. Slim 7

Slim 7 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I'm in, Brother, although I'll miss game one (out of town).

I would recommend using the last chorus...

That Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    I've seen it raining fire in the sky
    Friends around the campfire
    And everybody's high (hehehheh, he said high)
    Rocky Mountain High (Colorado)
    (Repeat, fade)

But really, any of them are fine with me.

Definitely add the "Colorado." It's not in the youtube video earlier in the post, but it's in the original song.

20. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never in history have four little words been so easy to say yet so hard to deliver.

RFO, go with it. If we wait for a consensus/majority/quorum/white smoke, nothing will ever get done.

21. This one is on the fans..........we would like to see this implemented from you guys before we commit to assisting on this.

22. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is Rocky Mountain High. I say we do this one. Start listening from 58sec to 1:25

[youtube]OwARpaKHx_w[/youtube]

23. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say we keep "'Ole Can of Burr" for the 90th minute.

24. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    How about this? We could always take an agreesive stance. You know sing this towards the opposing team instead of a slow love fest in the stands. Shake it up a bit, you know.
    [youtube]DKhnmUdmz74[/youtube]

Foo Fighters
    The Pretender

Lyrics:

keep you in the dark you know they all pretend
    keep you in the dark and saw it all begin

send in your skeletons
    sing as the bones come marchin' in again
    the knee you buried deep
    the secrets that you keep are ever ready, are you ready?

I'm finished making sense
    done pleading ignorance
    that whole defense
    spending this energy
    but the wheel thats spinnin' me is never ending, never ending
    same ol' story

what if I say you're not like the others
    what if I you're not just another one
    look at your face, you're the pretender
    what if I say I'll never surrender x2

in time I'm so I'm told
    I'm just another soul for sale, oh well
    the pages I repress
    they are not permanent, they are temporary, same ol story

what if I say I'll never surrender x2

I'm the voice inside your head you refuse to hear
    I'm the face you have to face mirroring yourself
    I'm whats left, I'm whats right, I'm the enemy
    I'm the hand that takes you down and brings you to your knees

so who are you, yeah who are you, yeah who are you, yeah who are you
    even in the dark, you know they all pretend

what if I say I'll never surrender

(even in the dark, you know they all pretend)
    what if I say I'll never surrender x3

so who are you
    yeah who are you
    yeah who are you
    yeah who are you...

25. TeleRock

TeleRock Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's do Rocky Mountain High. Get the FO behind us while we can.