Team Anthem...

Discussion in 'Colorado Supporters Clubs' started by teddy_montoya, Jan 26, 2008.

1. outforkicks

outforkicks New Member

May 20, 2005
    Denver,Co
    R-E-A-D my post again....there is frustration because the problem IS how the ENTIRE group is run. And I HAVE tried solutions..both last season and before that and NOTHING was done then and things don't seem to changing for this season.

In other words...there are those who TRIED to be part of a solution...went on deaf ears among the Board...thus rises the problem. Get it?

2. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    What about a something from the beatles?
    Something like Carry That Weight
    Writer, lead vocal: Paul McCartney

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
    Carry that weight a long time

I never give you my pillow
    I only send you my invitation
    And in the middle of the celebrations
    I break down

[youtube]OEggVZhhkrw[/youtube]
    Slightly obscure but noticable... only 1:36(with instruments)... and not forcefully uplifting.
    It can be sung for a goal, for the game, after the game and even after a loss.
    Yes it is about a breakup or a pregnancy, but out of context it can mean anything.
    I offer this to change the search to something simple and possibly from an era where lyrics meant more.

Also, isn't lean on me a little sappy? - If it's just me, fine.

Or hell, just pick something simple like this for this season to get people trained to sing and organize when, where and how it will get done. Then we can spend all season looking for the right song and have a solid group together that are used to getting something going.

I'll stop editing now... sorry.

3. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I gotta say though.. and this is completly off topic...
    I nominate this song as the anthem for this thread and the Rapids suppoters....

Fixing a Hole
    Writer, lead vocal: Paul McCartney

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in
    And stops my mind from wandering
    Where will it go
    I'm filling the cracks that ran through the door
    And kept my mind from wandering
    Where will it go

And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong
    I'm right

Where I belong I'm right
    Where I belong.

See the people standing there who disagree and never win
    And wonder why they don't get in my door.
    I'm painting my room in the colourful way
    And when my mind is wandering
    There I will go.

And it really doesn't matter if
    I'm wrong I'm right

Where I belong I'm right
    Where I belong.

Silly people run around they worry me
    And never ask me why they don't get past my door.
    I'm taking the time for a number of things
    That weren't important yesterday
    And I still go.
    I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in
    And stops my mind from wandering
    Where it will go.

[youtube]EKukhx1DPR4[/youtube]
    The colorado connection? The fray has done a cover of this song...

:D

4. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I said it before and I think it got skipped over, but as a solution to trying to get things done and make a decision on this, can a mod maybe assemble the 20-30 or so songs into a poll thread, the same way we do the forum tagline?

Face it, we can sit here and brainstorm forever, but a poll wouldn't hurt to get the ball moving beyond just brainstorming.

5. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I think cuz nothing has really been a resounding yes ... until the right idea comes up - we got nothing to vote on IMO

7. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Tom Petty:
    Well we wont back down, no we wont back down
    You can stand us up at the gates of hell
    But we wont back down

Gonna stand our ground, wont be turned around
    And we'll keep this world from draggin us down
    Gonna stand our ground and we wont back down

(short - everyone knows it ... )

8. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    Shouldn't that, then, automatically disqualify it?

9. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    So Monty Python isn't generating the enthusiasm I would expect, fair enough.

Surely, Roger Waters biting lyrics will move the supporters souls:

Within our humble sawdust ring
    The players are arraigned
    The powerful and puny
    The saintly and deranged

The Honest Bird, a future queen
    All innocent and green
    Sparring all the livelong day
    Make ready for our play

Okay, it's opera, might take 3 or 4 seasons to get everyone on the same page, but hey, we're in it for the long haul, no?

10. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    Just re-write the words to a song. Come up with our own words, use the music.

Something like Bandelero by Slightly Stoopid might work well. St Mary by Rancid?

11. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    Well don't have no money cause I don't have a job
    Don't have a job cause I ain't got no skills
    Ain't got no skills 'cause I was not trained
    I was not trained 'cause I didn't go to school
    Didn't go to school 'cause nobody told me
    Nobody told me 'cause nobody knew shit
    Nobody knew shit 'cause nobody knows nothing
    Nobody knows nothing and that's just it

What can you do? You get what's given to you
    Square one, here I come, here I come square one
    You get what's given to you

Don't have a home 'cause I don't pay no bills
    Don't pay no bills 'cause nobody pays me
    Nobody pays me 'cause I don't go to no work
    Don't go to no work and that's just it

I know what you say to me, but baby it can wait
    I just stop, take a look around and realize it's too late

No job, no skills, no money, no nothing
    No nothing 'cause I want it for free - Dirt cheap!
    Want it for free, all that is coming to me

So I look real hard for somebody to blame
    Someone to blame!
    Somebody to blame or an easy way out
    Easy way out!
    An easy way out 'cause it ain't much fun
    No fun!
    The place that starts with a square and ends with a one

Let down
    You feel stupid
    Don't cry
    Can't do it
    You can't win
    Don't you forget it
    You missed out

Square one here I come, here I come square one! [x4]
    You get what's given to youuuuuuu...

Square One Here I Come - The Hives

12. Slim 7

Slim 7 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Rocky Mountain High is taken? By whom?!?

RMH gets my vote. Chorus only. Start with "Colorado Rocky Mountain high/I've seen it rain fire in the sky..." and end with "Rocky Mountain High Colorado" repeated however many times. So not too long or complex. Even if you haven't heard the song (unlikely) or don't have the chorus memorized, you can pick up on the last line repeated. It's only four words.

The song has that schmaltzy appeal. Plus, it screams Colorado, and the state legislature recently voted it the second state song.

13. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    Those are just some fairly catchy, easy to sing along/create words for type songs. Square one even has some somewhat appropriate lyrics. Not so much with the other two.

[youtube]XWXry-3MQJo[/youtube]

Bandelero

[youtube]xV0KMn4cd3c[/youtube]

St Mary

[youtube]6ylmIp-lEOs[/youtube]

Square One Here I Come

14. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we should use some ill nino theres a bunch of songs that could be played during warm up to amp up the fans and players seriously i could post some videos but they won't show up when i a code here?

15. Daminada

Daminada New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm just trolling here, but why all the listing of old songs? Last thing I was to do pregame is sing a John Denver song. We aren't Celtic or some club with a long standing history.. we should be looking at newer music that will get people pumped.

Now with that said it's very hard to find new music that's appropriate.. but that doesn't mean we can't change the lyrics completly to whatever we want. An example:

Justin Timberlake's FutureSex/LoveSound, listen to the sound replacing it with these lyrics:

Colo - rado - rap -ids

You know what you want
    and that makes you just like me
    see everything says that your hot baby
    but can you make it hot for me
    said if you think about holding back don't worry
    because we are going to make it so easy
    so take the field and score my running rapids
    we are on a mission to please

wait a second

etc

No I'm not a Justin Timberlake fan, just showing that you need to take a song that is hip that will get people into it and change the lyrics up to fit.

16. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're kidding right? Firstly, the music industry today is too fragmented for everybody to find a song they like, let alone agree on. Second, the majority of newer bands suck! They have little or no talent when it comes to writing lyrics, let alone any that would be applicable to a soccer game. You want a 1-way ticket to fail and get made fun of, sinning a crappy plastic "hip" pop-song will do it. I would sooner commit suicide before I ever sing a Justin Timberlake song in public.

17. Daminada

Daminada New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I think you missed the point, you are never going to pick a song everybody likes.. no matter what decade you pick. And for the most part, you are never going to find lyrics that fit without altering them. Given those 2 facts, why would you pick a snoozer song like Rocky Mountain High? Pick a song that is current and will get people pumped, not everybody will like it but if most get into it that's all that matters.

Either that or find somebody to create a new song that will fit and that rocks! Something that fits for 2008.. not 1992.

18. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how bout this :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tJ15nrPtqvs

or

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mmlqmnuPDqg

i think this should be played in the locker room before game

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x_rngW4rDtY

i honestly do think any of these songs would work for anything sports related its beautiful music latin rhythm has soccer vibe all over it :D

warm up on the field
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=brRvCP2xZSo

i would post the videos i tried doing he embedded thing no prevail sorry

this is my favorite amp me up song its not really hardcore or nothing its sort of soft but the lyrics are great chorus is dope
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-_tn-65kmgg

19. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wooly Bully!

20. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I'll take this in a different direction for a moment...

Chilli, GoRapids, can you pool the team for songs that they would like or songs that they all ready use in the locker room?
    If we have their buy in maybe the FO would be willing to reopen this "case" and be willing to invest in the copyright fee.

And it might move this quagmired thread along.

21. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you read this tread at all? We've already established why some songs can and can't work.

1. The supporters have enough trouble getting organized chants together, you really think they'll be able to magically defy that trend and sing brand new lyrics to a song not even half of them have heard before?

2. Picking a fad song that no one will remember in 10 years means that no one is going to sing it after the first few seasons, assuming they even sing it in the first place.

3. YNWA wasn't written as a pop song. It's from Rodgers and Hammerstein and was made into a pop song some 20 years later. The most obvious example of a team anthem does not fit your theory.

4. Nobody has the resources here to write a completely new song, it's just not realistic at all. AIK for example is one of the biggest clubs in Sweden and over 100 years old...they didn't even have an anthem until the 80's.

I think the problem here is that you don't really understand what/how an anthem functions, if people can't sing to it they might as well just do what they do now and play the generic stadium music you can here at just about any venue in the country. There are plenty of newer songs I like, but virtually none of them I can picture that could be sung by a large group of fans and have it sound any good.

If I seem to miss your point, you're going to have to give some examples that are better than "pop", "hip", or something from "Justin Timberlake."

22. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    Haha, maybe take some 3oh!3 lyrics and redo them a bit. They're a far more respectable representation of the CO/Denver music scene than the Fray, should we want to stick local...

23. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a recent, anthemic song with few words that maybe footy fans would get behind: Chumbawumba's "Tubthumping".

24. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I question how you would edit the alcohol out of the song. And it's not very anthem-y...

What about Danny boy?
    [youtube]EaPFCvzzcFM&feature=related[/youtube]

Either way... I agree. Getr a poll going cuz there are too many spoons in the pot. Not everyone is going to be happy with the song chosen.
    There are pleanty of suggestions on here and this discussion needs to move forward at some point.

25. Daminada

Daminada New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I have read the entire thread and it seems to me that you are rather limiting yourself to the possiblities. Stop thinking about the problem and think of the soultion. People in mass will do just about anything as long as it's fun and they are having a good time. I never thought I would sing my schools fight song (Williamtell Overture sp?) until I went to a game and everybody just started doing it.

This isn't about the supporters.. most people don't give a damn what you do over there. For the most part it all seems like yelling and dancing throughout the game. The Front office has come on this thread and has asked for us to give them something... they will put it on the big screen along with the lyrics.. people will sing it, the supporters don't have to hardly do anything.

If the song dies in 3 years then you pick another.. at least you got a good 3 years out of it. You might not find the perfect song on the first try but if you keep trying, then sooner or later you will find one that sticks. A fad song is one that dies out pretty quickly.. well you wont know it's a fad song until it dies out.. so why not pick it and see where it goes?

I never said it was a pop song.. but.., it's interesting to note that they didn't start using it as a team anthem until the early 60's.. right around the time the pop song came out. :)

There is no telling why they didn't have one.. maybe it wasen't the 'in' thing to do. The point is, if you want it to happen you have to make it happen. If that means writing your own than fine. If that means taking a brand new song, current song, changing the lyrics etc then fine. Make it happen.

I think you are underestimating people's ability to sing. It's like you guys are trying to dumb it down to a preschooler. It certainly can't be death metal fast and maybe Justin Timberlake's song is a bit fast.. but heck, put it out there and see what happens. There are a lot of hip bands singing things that could be augmented into what you want, you just have to use your imagination a little bit. And for the love of god, stop suggesting these depressing negative songs.. the Font Office has asked you for ideas.. take advantage of that and give them something that might actually work.

I'll throw out another song here.. and this one is old. You could use the main theme from Carmen and write some basic lyrics to go with the song. That would be original.. it's up lifting and who knows where it would go. Here is a youtube of it, the song would start at the 1:05 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_elappgMI9o&feature=related

The first round everybody sings with the music, the second time through we sing the same thing over but without the lead music, just the background music etc. then afterwards maybe it fades into some techno. There is an idea, run with it.