Team Anthem...

Discussion in 'Colorado Supporters Clubs' started by teddy_montoya, Jan 26, 2008.

1. ringshot

ringshot New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Broomfield, CO
    Now on this I disagree, I think if we (groups) are disiplined and we have RFO support; we could get something going, but only (I believe) if it's rockin'!

G'Day...Ron :D

2. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    HA!!! funny funny Ron.... :D

3. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'd prefer something local or more Rapids-related to something that cliche from an Irish band who lost their innovative touch 10 years ago.

Bands like the Apples (in Stereo), Neutral Milk Hotel, the Fray, or even bands like String Cheese Incident all have some local ties. I've always felt the song "in the aeroplane over the sea" by Neutral Milk could be re-written to have a soccer theme, and since it's sung off-key it'd be perfect for our, um, musical talents ;)

T.Rex wrote a song called "Rapids" that lyrically was questionable but the chorus works:

And we stood like the Rapids
    and I was like a new born child

And for other angles, well, Willie Nelson wrote a song called "Denver" :)

4. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of the Fray, or Single File, maybe even Flobots :). There are a ton of new and good local bands making Denver proud. I wouldn't mind using one of them...

5. Deveron

Deveron Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Linkin Park "What I've Done" ?

6. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need an iconic song with easy lyrics that everyone will remember and enjoy belting out. Not a cheesy pop song.

7. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, kinda like You'll NEVER Walk Alone. It is a part of Liverpool history. We need something like that.

RFO: Any luck?

8. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    From wikipedia:

"You'll Never Walk Alone" is a show tune from the 1945 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, Carousel."
    "In England, the song's most successful performance was recorded in 1963 by the Liverpudlian Merseybeat group Gerry and the Pacemakers (peaking at number one in the singles chart for four consecutive weeks)"

Don't put the cart before the horse, boys. A "cheesy pop song" is what YNWA was before Liverpool fans made it into something more than that.

And while we're at it, download AS Roma or Barcelona's main songs. You might not find a cheesier bit of pop not recorded by a Lou Pearlman boy band.

My problem with using the U2 song is it says nothing about us - it's a song that's already cliche for so much and came out 5 years before the Rapids were even a twinkle in Anschutz's eyes. It's better if a song evolves out of the Rapids history somehow instead of pulling from history pre-Rapids.

9. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but how many songs are you going to find that relate to the Rapids? I cannot think of one. Unless you are talking about another Rapids club somewhere else. Sure you want the song to relate to the team. But how can you do that if there is none. Second, the song doesn't need to relate to soccer, nor the Rapids. It is a song sung by the fans in support of their club. And their pride....

There are soo many great songs out there. We just need to determine which one we like...

10. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about "One Step Beyond" by Madness? Motherwell uses this, it's fast, high energy and there's only one lyric to remember: One Step Beyond!

11. VMG1759

VMG1759 New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Boulder CO
    I like the ska approach, i think Chelsea uses a ska song too ( The Liquidator ), how bout "the Guns of Navarone" ties in with the whole RM arsenal thing...

And then towards the end of the season we can switch to "Too much pressure" :cool:

12. VMG1759

VMG1759 New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Boulder CO
  13. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Jimmy, we should use Single File or someone of that nature. We need to decide quickly so the FO can make this happen....

15. Slim 7

Slim 7 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Denver, CO
  16. ringshot

ringshot New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Broomfield, CO
  17. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just a Metro douchebag, but I always thought that iconic popular songs expressing emotions of loyalty, comradeship, and devotion were the best bet for this sort of thing. "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" is an expression of diehard idealism in the face of discouragement; "You'll Never Walk Alone" is a promise from the heart of exactly what it says.

To really get the voices swelling, you need a song whose lyrics are a direct expression of the emotion that fans feel for their team and their fellow fans - it shouldn't have to have anything to do with Colorado, mountains, rapids or Rapids, any of that. All of the more "clever" or "fitting" choices of anthem start to feel a little abstract when people are drunk and emotional and looking for something to sing together, whereas "You'll Never Walk Alone" or "Lean on Me" sure doesn't.

This is why I liked "Stand by Me" as a choice for the Metro anthem. Nothing whatsoever to do with the team, but it expresses the feeling. The only downer was the attempt to slightly rework the lyrics (adding "Metro" in place of "darling"). A song is a song - poetry, not prose - and there's no need to get all literal about it, saying "Metro" or "Rapids". I mean, you're at the game, supporting the team - no need to keep saying their name, 'cause everyone already gets the idea. Some modification makes sense, but it's best to keep the basic meaning intact.

Luckily, there's tons of universally-known songs out there expressing these emotions, and plenty which are unclaimed by any other team. Just pick something where everyone knows the words, forget about the FO, and do a sing-along...over and over again, for ten years.

The best chance for something to stick is a beautiful, timeless, fairly simple melody which is easy to sing in a group and widely known. U2? Generally too reliant on harmony and texture, although "With or Without You" has a sweet melodic line and expresses unerring devotion. Neutral Milk Hotel? Too much eccentricity in timing and delivery for mass singing, and not sufficiently universal. Merle Haggard? None of his best-known songs has a melody strong enough. John Denver? A better direction, but why not, say, "Country Roads"? "RMH" is effectively taken, and "Country Roads" could be modified without changing the meaning, has a better melody, and expresses loyalty to place.

(Just my unsolicited thoughts.)

18. TheDoc

TheDoc Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say we do "Hurt" by Johnny Cash. Very emotional song that can be easily memorized by anyone.

19. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know that one and I'm lazy. What's it about?

20. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot how intense that one was until I watched the video again the other night.

21. TheDoc

TheDoc Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go [/youtube]

22. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've always been partial to Annie's Song - many English clubs call their version "Come Thrill Me Again" - but historically I've been in the overwhelming minority.

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/story.php?sid=909&stid=152882&p=2 (not the best midi, but you get the idea)

First we have to have a core group that can last ten years to sing something for ten years; we're working on it, though.

23. TheDoc

TheDoc Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here Chili click here to watch hurt by Johnny Cash:D

24. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, perfect for today's lazy mood: a "click here" link! Thank you. Yes, I know this song, but I know it as a Nine Inch Nails song. Good song, but from what I've heard, now the FO is saying they probably won't do an anthem because nobody has been able to agree yet.

25. TheDoc

TheDoc Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FO cant stop us from singing as the match starts. Its up to us to take matters into our own hands then.