Teaching fast player to play fast against slow opponents

Discussion in 'Coach' started by smontrose, Jul 21, 2021.

1. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see this alot where better players will play down to lesser talent, be it in practice sessions or games.
    My 04 boy is like this. He has performed well above his club placement at certain tryouts and camps but unfortunately also good at playing down against lower competition. Seeing this right now in h.s. setting...

How do you snap a player out of this? I thought videos would help but in my opinion everyone already looks slow on video...

Ideas?

2. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Need more context. When you say playing "slow" do you mean playing poorly? You seem to be equating "faster" with "better".
    But there are certainly fast players who are not skilled. So it's a bit confusing.

Anywho - I would use video. Identify a particular play and review it with him.

3. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick decisions
    Aggressive play
    Quick movement
    Using physical speed on wing to create crossing opportunities
    Imagine a h.s. senior against a freshman

4. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    My first thought was to have him train against a higher level team, but that's probably not an option in a HS setting versus a club. Maybe work on some personal goal-setting that will push him to work and play harder to achieve the goals? Challenge him to be a leader for his teammates to show them "the way things should be done" so they know how they can raise their level of play?

5. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thx for input.
    He is primarily a club player and this has been a problem.
    He gets placed in the pool based on his weakest link which is the mental component...he gets frustrated with himself and it quickly spirals.
    When he is forced to play at a higher level based on competition or demands of coach he can shine.
    Hence the need to attain a higher level of self awareness I guess you could say?

6. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Is he having fun and is he comfortable in the environmnet? You are describing it as a problem and the weakest link. Is that how he views it too? If so, it's pretty tough to be confident.

7. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most days he is not having fun.
    He is always comfortable as far as he feels confident playing against anyone....until mistakes come...
    He doesn't see it as a problem because I don't think he can tell when he's playing fast vs. slow. I guess you might substitute highly technical vs. low technical...
    On average, technically tactically and athletically he plays at Prem 1 level, and I'd argue above that level.
    Because of the mental side and temper he's placed in more or less Select level squads.
    Need to get him to develop a level of body or self awareness to stop the negative feedback circle and play up to his talent no matter what other players doing.

8. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Sounds like a mental thing. Probably will grow out of it with maturity.
    Maybe look up examples of players who have made a lot of mistakes (which is all of them) and who still go on to try their hardest in every game.
    Messi and Ronaldo have missed key penalty kicks. But they move on. You have to. Learn from your mistakes. You have to give 100% every game.

9. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We talk about perseverance. If out of ten touches you screw up first eight but push through, score and get an assist, your likely the hero.
    One if his coaches put it nicely. It's a game of moments.
    That one always sticks with me.
    I see the maturity happening slowly but he's now u18. We're just about out of time.

Thx

10. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Out of time for what? To try out for college?
    If you say he plays better with higher competition then this will be to his advantage. He could be able to make a jr college roster if he's as good as you say. And then transfer later as he continues maturing. I would not give up.

11. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're definitely not giving up. We only talk about maximizing or realizing the potential he has.
    He's not crazy about playing college. Wants to either play or focus on studies. I think that's actually a pretty mature thought but have no idea where we go beyond u19.

12. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    My kid is the opposite, ie when faced with older/faster kids he kind of shuts down. He gets deflated, frustrated, sad. Kind of mopes around.
    But when he plays against less skilled kids he pounces on them.

Ideally he'd play with kids right at his level.

I had to have a talk with him today about not giving up (during the game).