Taylor Twellman our next YA (Hertha Berlin)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Line9Foul, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Line9Foul

Line9Foul New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Good ol' USA
    Yanks-Abroad was reporting that Hertha Berlin and several top flight Bundesliga clubs are interested. It will be a big blow to MLS to lose Donovan to Leverkusen and Twellman to Hertha Berlin.... but this guys deserve it and it will only strenghten our national team pool. Twellman is ready.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rob Stone, during the Revs playoff game Sunday, said that Tewllman had at least two suitors from the Bundesliga. Of course he was reluctant to say who but Stone said this was confirmed through Twellman. I personally would like to see twellman go over to Germany and get some good bundesliga exposure. He definately fits the stereotypical bundesliga striker with his physical play, abilty to "post" up, and his leaping ability. He kinda had a slow year but it's pretty damn good to score 9 goals and have an "off" year. Hopefully if he's picked up on loan and plays good minutes it could springboard another look from Arena.

3. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Nowhere does it say that TT is going to Hertha Berlin.

It says they are interested.

MLS owns TT for at least 2 more years, if not 3, thus if Hertha wanted him, they'd have to pay a decent transfer fee.

It's not like TT is just walking away in January.

4. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Twellman has already played in the bundesliga, and left for one of two reasons; wasn't getting p.t., or didn't like it.

With regard to the WC, I highly doubt he would be on the US roster, Donovan, McBride, Conor Casey, Clint Mathis, etc. There is no room for him, not even in the middle. And how about Johnson, Ching, these players have done more when they have been called up.

And I don't think NE would be hurt if he left, I mean Pat Noonan, Clint Dempsey, Andy Dorman, seem like key players on the team.

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he actually played a minute in the Bundesliga. He did play for 1860's reserve team in the regionaliga. If I remember correctly he left beacue he was tearing up the lower league and was given no chance for the 1st team.

6. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Uhh, that's exactly what he said. If you're going to be a hard-ass, you've got to get it right. Otherwise, you're just a fool.

7. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    cause Twellman is packing Gillette with fans?

with Noonan and maybe a healthy Joe-Max Moore back up top, NE will survive. Twellman has had an unfortunate year compared to recent ones and doesn't seem to be in serious contention for a USMNT role at the moment. Either way, MLS or Germany I'm ok, but I hope he only goes to Germany if he'll play.

By they way, I bet Columbus fans are wondering if they'll take Sanneh back as part of the deal. I'm a huge Sanneh fan, but it looked to me like he mailed it in (didn't try hard) and played foolishly without giving MLS respect in his disappointing performance last week.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Twellman played 24 games with Hertha (A) in Regionaliga Süd, scoring 5 goals. Hamburger SV's Benjamin Lauth, considered by many to be a future Germany star striker, played on the same team, scoring 4 goals in 28 games. The top scorer was one Danny Fuchs, who scored 14 and is currently in B2 with Greuter Fürth.

Lauth is one year younger than TT and has 23 Bundesliga goals to his credit.

9. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Taylor never played for Hertha.

He was with 1860, and he played much more than 24 times.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Oops.. my mistake on the team. But the credits do show him with 24 matches in the 2,000/2,001 season, 5 goals, 2 yellow cards.

11. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    So I'll admit it, I'm a Twellman fanboy. I think people under-rate him like crazy. When anti-Twellman people talk about people who over-rate Twellman, I'm probably one of the people they're talking about.

And the sole reason for this post is so if Twellman ends up being a pivotal player for the US, I'll have some proof to go back to and have the anti-Twellman people eat crow.

Hope he makes the pond hop.

12. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC

he was there for 2 seasons, not 1

13. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Hard to imagine that Taylor could not do better then what they current have at Hertha.

Kicker lists them having 5 strikers, including former National teammer Fredi Bobic.

In 11 matches, the most goals anyone has scored is 1 (total- for the entire season!). That's freakin' awful given several of the players are veterans, and have rec'd major minutes...

14. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I'm a Taylor fan too. He's a heady player, and in some ways, I think his game is suitable for European continent. He is maybe a tick slow, but his 'mind' and positioning is often quite good. He's pretty consistent scorer it seems...never gets in too too deep a funk.

I think the British game is a bit too quick for him, but like Ailton, I think he can shine in a game like BL- which emphasizes overall skill (in his own way- I'm not saying he can do what Ailton did last year), but I think Taylor can be an above-average effective striker in the BL in the right situation...and for more than one year...

I hope he does go. He's really for the next stage, and the age is right (nice to see a younger Yank go over- like Beas). He's done everything he could do in MLS (outside win a championship) and NE will be fine w/o him with Noonan, JMM likely back next year and Dempsey...

I also think its the right move for his WC aspirations....he's getting crowded out now amongst the MLS selection, and good performance in Germany would help vault him back into the mix...not the mention the hefty raise...

15. SMRT

SMRT New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    I thought I remembered Twellmen scoring a lot more goals for 1860's reserves. Not sure how many he scored, but I did find a quote saying he led the reserve team in goals his first full year.

"Twellman signed with 1860 in January 2000, but due to transfer rules was unable to play with the club until late April of that year. He appeared in more than 40 games for the club's reserve side, leading the team in goals in his first full season despite being the team's youngest player."

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCN/is_4_25/ai_92201933

16. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Me too, I thought I heard he played great, led the team in scoring but the coach said flat out, "Even though you're the best player on the reserves you won't get a shot until you're 24".

edit: should have read the link

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    This may be so. I get my info from the source that only has info for BL1, BL2 and the Regional leagues, aka BL3. If he played in the 4th Division, which is where the 1860 Münich (A) team seemed to be in that season, then I can't find any data on it.

So, I have we have the reconciliation of our data.

PS. I do have him on the bench for the opening game of 2,000 - 2,001 season that 1860 München (A) drew 3:3 with SC Pfullendorf on July, 29, 2,000. He came in on the 80th minute. There were 1,400 spectators at the game.

18. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If Twellman wants a go at the 1.BL, Hertha would be a good place. Apart from being in Berlin, which by most accounts is a good place to live, Hertha has nothing in the attack. Nando is a youngster with some talent, but I think there are questions about where his head is at. Bobic is washed up and has been a disaster for Hertha since joining the club last season from Hannover. Wichniarek, also signed last season from Bielefeld, has been a huge disappointment and doesn't appear to figure in their plans. Reina is a journeyman who signed midseason from Dortmund last year. He is more a withdrawn striker/attacking MF type. And that's about it. In short, if Twellman practices well, there is a clear path to playing time. Importantly, while the 2004-05 version of Hertha is not a very good team, I don't see them being relegation-threatened, and I think they will continue to consolidate going forward. This is a club that has big aspirations suitable for a big city like Berlin. FYI, Hertha has been playing variations on a 4-5-1 much of the season, but I think that's a function of the personnel more than anything. IIRC, Goetz, the coach, usually played 4-4-2 at TSV 1860 last season and in his first go-around with Hertha. If Twellman signs with Hertha, perhaps he can become partners with Tony Sanneh, who owns a bar in town (a remnant of his stay at Hertha).

19. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Twellman only scored five goals for 1860 amateurs in the Regionalliga. He also scored some goals in cup matches and friendlies, which some articles included in his total.

The next season, after the amateurs were relegated into the fourth division, Twellman had trouble cracking the starting lineup and 1860 let him come back to the US. Some people may be confusing him with Casey, who IIRC was scoring over a goal a game in the fourth division before he was loaned to Hannover.

20. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, CM4 definitely disagrees. History file says he netted 24 goals in 30 games during the 2000 season for 1860 Amateurs.

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

you almost said that as if you had the first clue about about what you were talking about

so i suppose you'll now break down each hertha striker for us :rolleyes:

22. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Tell 'em this:

Twellmann at 1860 Amateure:

1999/2000 Regionalliga Süd 4 games/0 goals
    2000/2001 Regionalliga Süd 25 games/5 goals
    2001/2002 Oberliga Bayern (4th Division), left during winter break

23. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    They were using him at right mid, weren't they?

24. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they'll be going after Charisteas instead.
    From Hertha site:
    Although, given their lack of goals coming from strikers perhaps they can use more than one new striker.

25. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999