Tasha's endeavors continue...w/ minor hiccup

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by battchy, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who was it?

The stories of a few are just as inspiring, though I will have to tell you offline on that.

Cheers!

2. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

From what I hear there is no present cure, only treatment. The only way to substantially extend the life of a person with this disease is through a lung transplant. It's kinda like changing an air filter in a car....It doesn't get rid of the disease but the new lung usually makes life alot better for a while. Correct me if i'm wrong.

3. megs2

megs2 New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Missouri
    Tasha actually happened to be one of my mom's former students and my mom really liked her. I was asking her about tasha and she said she probably won't live past her 20's, which is really sad. So its great what you guys are doing for her!

4. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    :(

5. keepit0

keepit0 Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Nope no cure. CF is actually a big deal to me. I was part of the biostatistics team that developed / got FDA approval for Pulmozyme while I was at Genentech.

Pulmozyme (along with Tobramycin) is the only "treatments" for CF. There are aminoglycides and various steroid treatments that are given to limit some of the symptoms, but nothing that gets you to a cure.

CF generally attacks the patient in two ways. One, an attack on the immune system that allows various bacteria into the lungs which destroys the lungs. (Hence the need for lung transplants. The air filter example is a good one.). (Pulmozyme tries to increase pulmonary function by clearing out some of the buildup in the lungs from dead antibodies).
    Second, it makes it difficult for the patient to digest nutrients which typically makes CFpatients smaller than the average population for the same sex/height/age.

20-30 years ago, CF patients wouldn't make it past 20. Now, most get into their late 20s, some into their 30s. It ain't great, but it's better than it was.

6. keepit0

keepit0 Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Have we decided what to do for the person who donated the miles?

7. 1Bri Fanatic333

Jul 12, 2000
    Re: Re: Tasha's endeavors continue...w/ minor hiccup

Can we talk about all the gory details later and just enjoy the fact that shes coming this Saturday, and be excited as hell for it?!?!

8. keepit0

keepit0 Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: Tasha's endeavors continue...w/ minor hiccup

Uhh, someone asked a question. It was being answered.

If you don't want to hear the answer, ignore and don't respond with your version of what order the rest of the world should march to.

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Tasha's endeavors continue...w/ minor hiccup

That's just amazing!! Sometimes we go about our everyday lives and forget about the people who fight to make our lives better. I don't even know what else to say, I was just touched by your post. Thanks for the work you do!

10. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Thanks, for the details, and for putting them in a context that soccer fans could understand. :)

11. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People need to be educated about this disease. This isn't the science board, but a short primer will do. If anyone wants to look further, there are other places on the web to go.

Most definitely.

keepit0 had it right on. I'm not a doctor, but I play one on television.

12. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I like to PLAY doctor.....does that count??? :D

13. 1Bri Fanatic333

Jul 12, 2000
    We dont wish to be told about the sex game you play with Landon in your personal time, thanks though....;)

I'm sorry, i couldnt resist....

14. battchy

battchy Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Mtn View, CA
    well, i hate to break up this entertaining and intelligent run of banter, but i wanted to let you all know what's going on w/ tasha...anyone mind?...;) doctor...doctor (shaking hands as he walks around the circle) doctor...doctor...doctor

anyway, the crew (tasha, mom, megan, kayla) will be landing in san jose friday night +-10:30pm. there they will be met by the limo for the ride to the hotel (s.j. hilton, courtesy of the quakes). saturday, day, they have to themselves. limo will pick them up again at 5pm, when they plan on going to dinner, then dropping them off at the stadium post dinner, +-6:15pm. limo will be picking them up after the game and taking to hotel (presumably), or anywhere else they want to go, but they only have limo till 10pm. sunday, limo picks them up at 6:30pm (yikes!!!) for their triumphant return to missouri.

i spoke w/ mom sanders about 2:30pm today, tasha had received her card and very much enjoyed it (thanks 1bri!). they are very excited to be coming and will be sitting front row as a group.

as for the person that donated the miles ('scotto', hint, hint), he is a loyal quakes follower, has been for years, and has all the accessories he needs; tho he wanted me to thank everyone for the offer. i asked him about that today. he's a great guy who just wanted to be helpful.

as for excess cash. i've never rented limo's for extended time periods, at least not w/o about 20 friends to split the cost of one, but damn!!! they expensive. cost comes to $722.00 total, so i have to see what checks have come in and where we sit w/ excess, if any. i did get a run down f/ erika, and seems like most have followed thru on their pledges, so thanks everyone!!! whetever is left over will be used to buy playoff tix for stanford children's hospital (seemed to be the most popular idea) if time permits this year, or tix for season opener next year if i can't put it together by then. btw...anyone have any contacts over there they can forward me?

anyway, really appreciate everyones assisstance in all it's forms. i'd be surprised if any other fan base, or any other team, could match the generosity and good will shown here. i've been proud to be involved, and you all should be too.

p.s., sanders crew will be calling me a couple times this weekend (saturday), i think i'll see about trying to get them to the club bbq, see if we can't put some faces w/ the support. i'll post here early afternoon to inform if they think they'll come by.

cheers all!
    battch

GO QUAKES!!!

15. 1Bri Fanatic333

Jul 12, 2000
    Least I could do, considering I could only donate 10 measly bucks...*I love college* *rolls eyes*

I feel appreciative to have been asked to take part in such a generous and wonderfull project. You thought of it, along with others, you deserve most fo the credit.

When you talk to them, give them my cell phone number (you have it via PM), so we can try and hook up for after auto alley.

16. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve,

I'm in Monterey tomorrow (Friday) for business, but I should be available via cell phone if the Sanders run into any issues with the flights, etc. (I'll PM you with the cell number.) I'll be able to do what I can to alleviate any situations that arise. I've got a copy of their itineraries with me in case I need to deal with anything.

- Scott

17. keepit0

keepit0 Member

Aug 15, 2001
    This should be great....

Rock the fish on!

18. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    DIALED IN!!! Awesome, you guys are soooo great!!! From the invite, to the flight home, to the Stanford Childrens Hospital ticket donation.....It's the best investment I ever made. Thanks for letting me be a part of this!

I've always felt that donating to research, although very important, didn't really benefit people that wouldn't be around long enough take advantage of it, that's why I am a big fan of Make-A-Wish. I became a big fan of Tasha Sanders when I found out that she made US her wish(Quakes, SJ....yeah, i know, and Donovan :) ). I hope her weekend is even better than the last time she was here! A victory this time would be nice. :D

19. Spartan1

Spartan1 New Member

Feb 23, 2001
    San Jose
    Everyone deserves a big round of applause.
    Everyone did a fantastic job, especially Battchy, ldb, 1Bri, Keepit0, Scotto!!!

Quakes fans are the BEST!!!!

See you all on Saturday

Sp1

20. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    $#^$% myself..

Letter came back due to the wrong address, and mom never told me about it.

For the Childrens Hospital, anyway I can give my 20 to one of the organizers at the game?

21. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Sorry, it's $23.93 with 19.65% intrest added in.....See Mr. Battchy so he can have his goone-squad call off your scheduled beating. ;)

22. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Dont really matter to me..

Hell ill just give them 30 pocket money to contribute or whatever..

Just dont want to seem like a flaker :(

23. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish I'd seen this ealier. Anyway, I could add a bunch to what keepit0 has mentioned regarding treatment for CF, but I will be brief. I'll just say that the drugs used to fight infection and to keep the airway open are numerous and physical therapy and nutrition are also key treatments. Gene therapy trials have been underway for quite some time to study the effectivness of inhaled "normal" CF genes to replace the "abnormal" ones. And as keepit0 stated, there is no cure.

The reason why I'm really posting is to give a glimmer of hope. At the beginning of the summer I followed a patient who has lived with CF and it's treatments all her life. This beautiful, vibrant woman is 26 years older than Tasha. She received a double lung transplant in June of this year and was expected to make a complete recovery...complete as you can get with a transplant of this type. The surgery will hopefully add 10 quality years to her life if all goes well. It looked good when she tranferred from our critical care unit to a step-down unit.

It's so difficult to convey the meaning of the disease and the profound life change prompted by the transplant for this woman. When people live with illness, it's a whole different world...not always, like you would think, a bad world, but different in that life has so much more meaning.

I hope for Tasha that she, like the woman I speak of above, has many many years to look forward to! And I just want to say that I admire you all so much for rocking her world!

24. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone confirm that the Sanders arrived OK tonight?

25. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Anybody know how their trip was?