Tanner Tessmann at Venezia

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 26, 2020.

1. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I don't think they have the room because they can't demolish the stadium. They waited too long to make that decision.

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here there would be another stadium to use while a rebuild was being done even if it wasn't ideal. There must be 20 stadiums NFL and college football, major league and minor league baseball and high school staduims) in DFW that could be used if they had to tear down Frisco to build a newer stadium. Other countries don't have that.

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nearly all Italian stadia are owned by the municipalities. Politicians want votes (as well as kickbacks and ghost jobs for relatives/hangers-on) but there aren't many votes in repairing or upgrading something so nothing is done until the last minute. Meanwhile, why should the teams spend money on infrastructure that they don't control.

Which means that nearly every stadium in Italy was designed or built for Italia 90 or earlier and is obsolete, especially in terms of revenue streams like premium boxes, hospitality, merchandise selling, etc.

The only teams that own their own grounds are Juve and Udinese. Not surprisingly, those grounds are as good as anything in England or Germany

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Which is why many also have, but have made an effort to get away from, running tracks. Need to have the municipal stadium multi-purpose.

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    And very few Serie A clubs own theirs: Juventus, Udinese, Atalanta, Sassuolo, Frosinone. I believe that's all.

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis, for example, has tried for years to buy the stadium from the municipality, but they won't sell it. It underwent renovations a few years ago, but that was only because the city hosted an international university athletics competition, and so the club didn't have to pay for them.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Italian teams will have to adopt the American strategy of threatening to leave when their contracts are up. I guess they'll have to have a serious plan that will actually work for a new venue. Either you sell to us or we move. If a few follow through it will help the next ones.

7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Gotta have a willing city to move to in order for that strategy to work.

AGomes repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams are looking for spots just outside the city they play at now.

9. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #759 AGomes, Mar 9, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
    Not the same. In Italy all small city's have a team already in place. In the USA, there are many major city's without a team so the threat can be legitimatey carried out (ie; The A's of MLB from Oakland to Vegas).

Also in the USA there is probably more a willingness to use tax dollars to build areana's and stadium's for Billionaire's. Not sure the Italians would be so understanding.

Eventually they will come. Arsenal, Man City were still playing out of 100+ Year Old stadiums until recently, relatively speaking.

BMO Field (Toronto FC of MLS) is owned by the city as well. Only difference is it's a SSS.

I can see both Milan and Rome clubs in their own stadiums soon enough. Kinda not good for me as Juve fan as I will not have this to rag on their fanbase anymore.

Also, an earlier message. I do believe Frosinone own their own stadium as well. Looks good on TV too and appropriately sized for that city.

TimB4Last, adam tash and Winoman repped this.
  10. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Tessmann plays the whole match with good stats and a yellow card in a strong 3-1 win over Bari. 3 shots, insane 7/9 on accurate long balls. They move into third place.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking good in Serie B:

12. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    #762 randomnoise, Mar 10, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
    Thanks all, I saw a bunch of "news" this week, which as pointed out above, really didn't say much about what exactly is going to happen with the new stadium. I guess we'll find out in a year or two (or ten, this being Italy).

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Enough to get picked up by a Serie A club in case Venzia isn't promoted?

14. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yup

Bologna or lazio

Maybe udinese

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    He was linked to those Serie A clubs this past summer. I figured he was going to get sold last summer but he’s stayed. Now it looks fairly certain he’ll move up to Serie A (or another league) this summer. He was also linked to Stuttgart last summer iirc.

tomásbernal repped this.
  16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again I'm not talking about a team leaving to another city. I'm talking about them moving to the outskirts or a suburb. Both Ac Milan and Venezia have talked about doing just that. Milan has also talked about fixing their existing stadium. The ACM owner has actually talked about starting a company to do just that for other teams to strengthen Serie A so they can better compete with the other top leagues. So this is not an American type thing and the hardest part is getting local governments to do anything. Not sure how long contracts are but I would think the only pressure would be when a contract is winding down to start threatening with a real option to move to a new stadium in a different part of the city or a close in suburb. Then follow through or get your current stadium completely updated and maybe get partial or complete ownership.

To bring the back to Tanner the Tank with both him and Busio playing together and looking like two of the better mids in Serie B I'd have to think they might be starting together at the Olympics.

17. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Doesn't seem like the usmnt coach rates tanner. Why?
    Looking at American mids, not many are better.
    Forza Tess!

18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    He was/was going to be called up to the 2023 Gold Cup but declined/wasn't selected because he was getting married last summer.

He would have gotten an extensive run with the USMNT that summer if he had been available.

Otherwise he's been rated behind some combination of Musah, McKennie, Adams, De La Torre, Aaronson, Johnny Cardoso and Reyna who have generally occupied the 3 midfield spots for the U.S. the last couple of years.

Once he moves up to a first division and starts performing well he will become a mainstay in the program.

He's really only broken out in the last year or so and there haven't been that many opportunities + his CM competition is not a buncha bums. These are guys playing at AC Milan, Juve, Real Betis, Celta Vigo, Union Berlin, BVB and AFC Bournemouth.

19. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I see mls mids who have more caps.
    Odd

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    MLS mids are available for non-FIFA dates.

Serie B's reputation also isn't very high.

superdave repped this.
  21. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Most MLS mids also don’t skip the Gold Cup where they get 6-7 caps every tournament.

There’s no injustice going on here.

DCU1984 and tomásbernal repped this.
  22. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Not his age and his position

23. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I enjoy negative, defensive, anti soccer.

Winoman repped this.
  24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. I see Juventus, AC Milan, Real Betis, Celta Vigo, PSV and Bournemouth. I forgot - which ones are MLS?

25. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That list doesn't even include Reyna or Aaronson. Pretty solid CM depth.

Pegasus repped this.