Tampa. Orlando where would you put your new stadium.

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Paul. A, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    I guess it could be a long time in the future. but I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on where you would build a Soccer specific stadium in your city.
    I don't think it costs anything to think up a plan. I'd love to see a team in Tampa or possibly Orlando 10 years from now. If anyone would like to state what they would do, I'd be interested to know.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Orlando would build a SSS anytime soon, I would love it of course, but I doubt it.

Has anyone heard any other rumors of Orlando or Tampa's soccer future?

3. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    In Miami, I'd tear down the old Miami Areana site and build a 45-50k seat Soccer stadium with a covered roof around the spectator seats.

Having the stadium adjacent to the Overtown Metrorail station is IDEAL. It avoids most of the traffic conjestion, puts the stadium in a sweet urban location, and may become a perfect stadium for other tenants such as the University of Miami Football which would probably help with the cost as well.

Of course, it sorta sucks having Gridon played however, I suggest placing temporary "turf" for the Gridiron games and at worst placing a turf similar to the one presently used in Giants stadium. The Giants Stadium turf is practically indistinguishable from natural turf at least on TV. (?? I believe it is the same turf that is being used at the Dallas Burn's temporary Dragon Stadium, however the bounce on the ball there is horrendous and the Gridiron markings don't help either?? is it the same turf??)

The other alternative is keeping a natural turf to be shared with Gridiron. Not such a bad alternative since the college gridiron football season is short and U of Miami practices on on-campus fields. Thus only 5 to 6 Gridiron games would be played all year. Sure College Gridiron is usually played on Saturday's but mostly at 12 or 3pm leaving the cool Saturday evening for Soccer at 730 or 8pm.

PS: In yet another positive turn should the above occur. You would leave the OLD and ragged out OB without a tennant--minus soccer an UM Gridiron. Thus allowing for the hopeful development of a state of the art Baseball stadium on that site and thus all parties WIN.

4. IMissTheFusion

IMissTheFusion New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    South Florida
    There is no way UM football would play in a stadium that holds only 50,000. Even if they usually only need the extra capacity once a year.

5. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    you'd think disneys wide world of sports complex would have ONE nice SSS.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would think Disney would be more helpful to the soccer community.

in a semi-related topic, the main event at the Wide World of Sports stadium, the Orlando Rays baseball will cease operations after this season. So guess what? The WWS stadium will be barely used after that. Why even have it?

7. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    I disagree. UM has traditionally had troubles filling up the OB. Because of it, its games lose out in atmosphere and intimacy. They may fill the OB once a year maybe for that FSU or rare UF game but thats in large part from the rivalry and the large UF/FSU alumni in S.Florida as well.

UM would certainly be interested in a state-of-the-art SMALLER(but more luxury seats) facility in downtown with a great deal of intimacy, right next to a metrorail station. Not only that but the smaller stadium creates much more demand and would probably jack up ticket prices for a deservedly better "experience".

Trust me a UM game in a 50k or so seat stadium in downtown would be AWESOME...not to mention the footy. Could you imagine the noise alone in a such a covered stadium right on top of players!!! Gridiron or Footy.

8. Billy Bowlegs

Billy Bowlegs Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Rochester, NY
    I would LOVE to see a European retro-style 20-30k purpose-built soccer stadium in Ybor City! Picture it in the Historic section, with matching Castellano architecture, located right between I-4 and the Crosstown for easy access (once all the I-4 construction is done). I'd name it Campo Ybor.

Doubt I'll ever see it happen (sigh).

9. furie

furie Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ybor

I don't think there's enough room to put a stadium in Ybor city. There's really no open space there.

Has anyone petitioned The Mouse for an expansion? Disney has money. They already own three major sports teams.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, no one reads my posts (if you look its about 5 posts above this one).

Disney is not interested in anyway with sports, especially soccer.
    Yes they have pro teams. Oh they love sports, so much in fact, they just sold the Angels, are trying to sell the Ducks and....what other team?

Well they do have the double A Rays here in Orlando, but they are getting rid of them after this year.

So, in other words, don't rely on the Mouse. Not interested.

11. furie

furie Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i did read your post above. and it does not mention anything about Disney's interest or lack of interest in soccer. all it mentions is that there'll be an open stadium due to their lack of interest in baseball.

calm yourself.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I mentioned Disney's lack luster committment and I said they would never support soccer. Sorry. I'll be more clear next time. LOL

anyways, I heard that Orlando may get a W-League team next year...

13. Kraze

Kraze New Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Orlando
    A little birdy told me a PDL team might be placed in the following markets: Tampa, Miami, Pensacola, Jacksonville, and/or Orlando/Kissimmee.

I'd love to see maybe Thunder Field or Tinker Field converted to a soccer stadium...

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Tampa, Miami, Pensacola and Jacksonville make great sense...and I am all for it. Why would there be another PDL team in Orlando?

We already have one. The Kraze.....????

15. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States