Talent vs Experience and the 2nd Forward spot

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Jul 11, 2005.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    the 2nd forward spot across from our Grown-Ass Man has got to be the #1 issue for USA fans while we put the the finishing touches on qualifying and start gearing up for the World Cup.

I think its approaching crisis mode to be honest. And I think it comes down to two ways of thinking.

start an experienced striker who you don't think will do much but you know will do at least the dirty work involved. He's been there for you before and even though he's not the most talented guy around

the other school of thought is the younger, inexperienced, highly talented forward. This is the high risk high, high reward kind of decision. He's the guy you know who has talent, but don't know if he's ready to bring it at a high level. A forward playing poorly can absolutly destroy your attack for the 65 minutes he's playing.

so whats it to be? I'm voting for the talented player over a guy like Brian McBride or Brian Ching or even Pat Noonan. And I'm hoping Santino Quaranta turns into that player. I don't see any other players that would fit that 2nd category

2. eljewe

eljewe New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wisrapidswis
    Donovan will be the 2nd striker!!! He needs too much space in midfield. That's what he get's at forward. Also, that makes it easier to bring in a forward for defense sub in the 2nd half. Landon gets a lot of crap for not showing up in some games, but he is solid in front of goal. IOW experience

3. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    I know I'll get ripped for this, but I am voting for Pat Noonan. Not so much for his individiual athletic or scoring ability, but as a compliment to EJ. Noonan is strong on the ball and also quite creative. If given space (which he will be with defenses keying on EJ) he can go at defenders one on one. He has a full arsenal of clever flicks and touches, and has a knack for heading wayward crosses back in front of the net.

He's not the fastest guy with the hardest shot, but I think he'll create lots of chances for EJ, Landon and DMB. This is a pairing up front that I am dying to see.

4. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I don't think it is becoming as dire a circumstance as you believe. Clearly there are several options and McBride stands apart from the rest. He has the experience and the work rate to bring something solid to the table. So what are our other options........

Wolff
    Noonan
    Twellman - I honestly think he is due a couple of more looks
    Buddle - don't know if he has it or not
    Q

or go with an "out of position" player like....
    Donovan
    Beasley

So tons of different possibilities. I think the answer is Eddie Gaven and/or Q. The reason why I say that is that I think one of them will lock down our right mid spot by Germany. Which means our midfield becomes even more overcrowded with:

d-mid Pablo
    left mid - DMB
    right mid - Q/Gaven
    a-mid - JOB/Dempsey

so Landy pants will most likely return to playing more forward. IMHO.

I could see us using a lot of one forward formations with Landon and DMB behind ed johnson. (even though the game v. Mexico wasn't great) I could also see that being a 3 forward front line.

I think this team (the germany team) will offer Arena so many different possible formations and lineups that he will have too many options.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    and he's not nearly selfish enough/agressive enough to play forward. He'll utterly dissapear in a match when he has to actually call for the ball. He needs to be playing CAM, getting the ball funnelled through him. Otherwise he's almost useless

6. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For what it's worth, Landon came in as a forward in the Cuba game as a sub for Casey, and then moved to forward in the Canada game when Armas came in for Noonan. Arena, it would seem, might be interested in seeing if you're right........

7. eljewe

eljewe New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wisrapidswis
    If you are going to have someone like Noonan, why not somebody proven like McBride. His hustle is not comparable.

8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

wolff, noonan, twellman, and possibly Buddle would fall into a 3rd category. simply not good enough to start at a high-impact position in the world cup. This isn't hiding Frankie Hejduk at LB vs Portugal. Wolff, once upon a time, before injuries, would have been my choice. But not any more. I gave my feelings on Donovan in the post before, and I think DMB is wasted by playing forward.

9. eljewe

eljewe New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wisrapidswis
    Seems like we have more of of a problem with finishing, than asking/demanding the ball. U-20's bear that out. That's why I said he's so solid in front of goal. He's almost casual. Your right he does disappear in matches, when he doesn't have space. I was at the England game and they clogged the midfield and he disappeared. Thus get him in space against a good team, that wants to take him out.

10. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    You won't get knocked by me. I think Noonan is a definite candidate. He's deadly in front of net (apart from the missed sitter against Canada :) ), is creative, strong in the air, is a good dribbler, has a great work ethic, and combines very well with other players. He might be the most cultured striker we have in our pool. I think he would work great with EJ because he would be able to do the dirty work ala McBride while still giving Arena with a very refined second option up top.

11. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is McBride void or talent or "unrefined?!" McBride is deadly in the air, world-class in this regard by any measure. He has a tremendous work ethic, plays a complete game, and scored in the last two qualifiers. He's proven he can score in the MLS, in the EPL, and in the World Cup.

The only fair knock on Brian as the target forward is he's getting a bit old. If his fitness and form are up to par, I don't see where there's a question. If he's the starter, we'll need some depth behind him, and with some smart subbing and/or a spot start by someone else, there's no reason why he can't perform at the level we'll need.

If Brian plays regularly for Fulham, shows his consistent form, and manages to stay healthy until next summer, I think we'll have both talent and experience in one very refined player - McBride.

12. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Our options at left back scare me more than 2nd striker. ;^)

13. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Has there been any ETA on the return of Eddie Johnson?? Weeks? Months? Years?
    Get the nation's best medical minds on it now!! ;)

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    don't even think about this. My mind refuses to delve into that possibility

15. johnnygol

johnnygol New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    I think EJ is so far the most exciting player but he hasn't been tested at the highest level yet. I think Mcbride is the only proven player that we have up there. EJ needs to get healthy and confirm that he is our best option.

16. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Didn't Lando score his World Cup goals (and generate the own goal) from the forward position?

Sachin

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I think he played a midfield position more than anythig else. I mean he might have lined up as a forward according your ESPN soccer screens but i think played a midfield role

18. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Landon was pure striker at WC02. Typically we had some combination of O'Brien, Mastro, Stewart, Beasley, Reyna, or Lewis in the 4 midfield spots, with McBride and Donovan up top.

He scored against Mexico* and Poland from striker, was robbed on another goal against Poland from the striker spot, scored the "own-goal" off the defender against Portugal while playing striker, and came close several times against Germany, again playing striker.

Donovan is the best option as the 2nd striker. He moves. He has speed. He combines well with others. He can finish, even with his head. What more can you ask?

None of the other striker options in the player pool, other than Johnson and McBride, come even close to what Donovan can offer as a striker.

When everyone is healthy, the Nat team's depth is in midfield. So move Donovan up to striker. In answer to your posted question: Donovan offers talent AND experience at the 2nd forward spot.

* EDIT: Unlike the 1st round matches when he played purely striker, Donovan lined up as one of 5 mids for most of the Mexico match. Wolff and McBride were the strikers. In the 59th minute Stewart came on for Wolff and Donovan moved up to striker. Donovan scored in the 65th minute.

19. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Having watched my tapes of these matches a million times and knowing every moment almost as well as "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", this sounds very correct to me..

20. todd_knode

todd_knode New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    San Diego via DC
    If all of the following are healthy what do you do? McBride, Johnson, Donovan, Beasley, O'Brien, Reyna.

No matter that some people think Donovan is a better option up top than McBride I think you need to start all 6 if healthy.
    Well... I don't think Reyna should start but i'm sure Arena does!

My point is that LD might be better than McBride but whomever is slotted into the midfield to take Landon's place would be worse than putting Donovan at forward and McBride on the bench. If O'Brien and Reyna are both on the field that will allow Donovan to play more up front anyway if he is in the midfield.
    So you could end up with a front line of Johnson, McBride and have Donovan floating.

21. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

nah dude, i agree with you 100% i was going to say the same stuff a really good compliment partner type player, works well in combination and can score too.

also i could see dempsey and landon as real candidates as the 2nd striker and id be just as happy.

forza inter

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    One can play Donovan on top if you don't play the high ball over the press because he'll never challenge a high punt and you'll be losing the ball left and right.

I'd also pull him to the midfield if the other team bunkers. When Canada went into a shell in the 2nd half, he was nearly invisible. Unlike Clint Dempsey, LanDo has no aerial game and very little interest in getting himself dirty going against the big boys in the center. That tiff he threw against Canada was from a 16-year old. And he doesn't dribble in tight quarters not shoots well from the outside.

On the other hand, the boy can finish if left alone and his speed will allow him to get into these spots against the mid-level competition. The question is what to do when someone decides to deck him a few times.

We know, Clint would just come back and pop one. Lando just may disappear.

23. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

I agree. It is McBride, no question. He is also my vote for captain by a long shot (only because Keller is a keeper, so he's not in consideration). It will of course depend on his form at the time leading up to the WC, but based on his most recent EPL and USMNT form, it is a no brainer. He was tearing up the EPL...what more can you ask for?

24. Gmore

Gmore New Member

May 12, 2005
    Virginia
    Tearing up the EPL? Not exactly. But he is a solid player with almost no weaknesses in his game. This is the kind of guy that I want coming into the match for the last 20-30 minutes. He has a great work rate, can hold the ball for you, and can put a game away if given a chance. Unless he tears up the EPL next season, I see him as our first striker off the bench behind Johnson and Donovan, who are the tandem that we will be watching for the next decade.

25. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if I agree with your last point. Remember, LD often scores out of the midfield from within the 12 yd mark. By the same token, as a forward, he very frequently circles back to find positions for attacking movement of the type he gains now from the midfield position. This is going to be totally true if the US has the ball in the attacking third. If there is a fast break opportunity, that is a different story. He'll be out front looking for the lead pass.

To those who claim Donovan as attacker often "disappears," I submit that he never does so in international games unless there is no service from the midfield. There has not been an inept midfield ("inept" relative to the competition) in some time. I don't expect any attacker to do much of anything without reasonable midfield support.