Tajikistan: Where the Swastika Is Welcome

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Iranian Monitor, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Is the grotesque misuse of certain symbols and terms (e.g. Swastika, Aryan, etc) by the Nazis a valid reason to deprive those with true claim to them the right to use them to promote ideas that have nothing to do with what the Nazis were promoting?

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2005/12/27F36005-4B37-4ADA-87E0-034F33867C8E.html

2. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Some context:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Yes, "aryan" is Indo-Asian and yes, the swastika has a meaning separate of that of the Nazis. Still, there needs to be a recognition that this symbol and its significance have been greatly changed for the worse by the Nazis. It might be a "natural" symbol for Tadjikistan, but it is far from non-controversial.

[​IMG]

Before an Indian festival.

3. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    here is another dimension of it in old Persian religions of Mithraism and later passed down to Zorastarianism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika#Mehr.28Mitraism.29

In ancient Persian this sign was, called the sign of the , Mehr is a name for sun in old Persian, as you may notice the sign is an abstraction of a shining sun in mitraism also refer to Mithra. The Mehr sign was a holey symbol of a religion in which sun was mother of every thing in the world, the sign found its root to the next religions in Iran including Zoroastrianism, and Islam now days you can find lots mosques in Iran which the name of Ali is repeated 4 times to form a Mehr sign. There is book named "arrabe run e khorshid" or chariot rider of the sun with lots of sample pictures of the sign and detailed description of the matter published in Farsi.

4. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Unfortunately, it is no joke to say that Iran invented the concept of Aryan supremacy. Iranians are denying the Holocaust because they are responsible for creating the intellectual foundation of Nazism, not to mention being intimate allies of the Nazi regime.

5. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Wasn't it also the case that the swastika was written in the opposite direction in ancient India? As long as Tajiks are using the symbol in a sincere manner without a nod to the traditional European anti-Semitism that has crept into Islamic literature, etc., over the last few decades, I don't have a problem. We'll see how this plays out.

6. Aubrn 13

Aubrn 13 New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Perugia
    please dont make up bullsh!t, u have nothing to back that with

7. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    It is also in China LONG TIME ago with this symbol. The only reason that TODAY in opposite directon because they don't want Western people confusing it with Nazi.

8. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Actually I only heard the president say that which would be expressed by the word "Iranian" rather than "Iranians". There's a subtle difference there, see if you can spot it.

Also something would lead me to believe it is quite fortunate (as opposed to unfortunate), for the sake of your argument, to suggest Iranians "invented Aryan supremacy". But, for shitz and giggles, why don't you further explain you assertion that Iranians created the intellectual foundation of Nazism. What about a lot of Hitler's batshit crazy ideas is uniquely Iranian? Did Iranians also invent Norse mythology? How about meth?

What I'm getting at here is essentially -- :(

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    :confused: Of course they did. :confused:

10. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    I'm making the point that those were important parts in the formation of Hitler's ideology that I'm willing to believe the Iranians had little to do with.

11. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    This is priceless.

12. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    And that's why I'm pro-Iran.

13. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"

voltaire

14. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Repped. Awesome.

15. JPhurst

JPhurst New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Just a reminder folks, that IM is in no way antisemitic, he's just antizionist.

And remember, the real threat in the world is not Iran threatening to wipe Israel off the map, or Iran's leader denying the Holocaust. It is that some people don't want Tajikstan to use the swastika as a symbol.

IM once again helps us get our priorities straight.

16. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    There must be something wrong with my computer. I don't see where he said that at all.

By your method of analysis I'm gonna go ahead and conclude you don't believe the moon landing actually happened.

17. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Until recently, the swastika was still used shamelessly in martialarts in Japan. i think they even thought it was a classy detail to German outfits, it did not represent the horror Westerners had to face which made it a very loaded symbol.

Of course, Japan was Germany's ally in WWII but the swastika had been there well before. On numerous occasions, it was displayed in comics and animes, and people misjudged the reason for its presence. I think Japanese have been realising more and more what it could mean in the West ; they're not renouncing to it but at least, they're more aware it can be a sensitive detail.

A Japanese comics (manga) : Blade of the Immortal

The main character Manji has a huge Swastika on the back of his kimono. The french edition had to inform readers on its presence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. valanjak

valanjak BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    And Americans invented the Big Mack

19. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I don't get it.

20. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The swastika's been in Japan for centuries; as far as they're concerned, it's a Buddhist thing, and has nothing to do with the Nazis or fascism.

21. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Well I think that the real threat to the world is not nuclear weapons that can destroy the world in 5 minutes, or the threats of long term environmental degradation, or a world wide deadly virus pandemic. No, it's none of those things. Rather, it is the people who walk around saying "happy holidays" rather than "MErry Christmas". Or who say "woman" rather than "girl" or "broad". That's the real threat in the world.

Let's have a meetup!

22. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Isn't it a reverse swastika anyways?

23. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I believe so, yeah. And it's usually rendered in yellow instead of black. Some Tibetan monks also use it.

24. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Few years ago I was in Japan and many shrines had reverse swastikas in yellow/red tone made out of different flowers - it was very nice and even though it felt ackward for the first 10 seconds I completely disregarded what it resembles and tried to enjoy a different culture.