Tajik U17 to Gals

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by hairynippleman, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: big time player coming to mls??

Oh great. Another 16 year old in a MLS starting line up.

2. SoccerScottWV

SoccerScottWV Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Charleston,WV,USA

I have come across a large number of people in ,supposedly, better educated parts of the US who don't realize that West Virginia is actually a state and not just the western part of Virginia. Therefore, I find it very difficult to believe that anywhere near a majority of Californians(who are apparently vastly superior to the rest of us) know where Tajikistan is.

And before we go snatching up all of the international U17's, I hope some of our own U17's are able to find their way into the league.

Scott

3. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004

Note in advance: I am an American, so this is not Eurosnobbery.

In all fairness, a recent published survey showed that over 80% of Americans couldn't point to Iraq on a map. I think it's safe to assume Americans collectively know more about Iraq than Tajikstan (I think it's safe to infer 90+% of Americans couldn't identify Tajikstan on a map, but certainly at least 80%). So even if Californians are brighter than the rest of us, that would mean maybe 15%-25% of y'all could point out Tajikstan on a map. If most people in LA know where Tajikstan is, then LA is astronomically better at geography than any other city in the States. It might be true, but of the four obviously bright LA natives I've met at my law school, only one knew about where Missouri was...

4. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    erm most Americans don't know if Washington DC is on east or west coast, and probably can't point out North America on map..

5. alexthewolfe

alexthewolfe New Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Pennsylvania,USA
    Stuff like this blows my mind, I don't know how people can be this stupid, I might be spoiled by being in college and being around smart and for the most part cultured Americans. I could do all the stuff mentioned above when I was probably 7. I guess thats what happens when unemployment is a career.

6. StrawberryShorthutch

Jul 26, 2007
    Uh.. the odds are a good chunk of the people who did poorly in these surveys include a rather large number of people with college educations and decent jobs. A random sampling <i>should</i> give a decent representation of the country as a whole, assuming it is just the uneducated masses or those who do not hold good jobs definitely does not help solve these issues.

7. alexthewolfe

alexthewolfe New Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Pennsylvania,USA
    It would be interesting to see where these samples come from, either way, there is defiantly something clearly wrong with the US education programs. Too many people get left behind, especially now when you can't get much of a job without having a college degree or having some kind of technical training.

8. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without looking it up, name three countries that border Tajikistan.

9. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, it's not true. Go ask 10 people if DC is on the east or west coast. Most will get it right. Don't believe everything you read, especially on Big Soccer.

10. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can you? Or did you have to look it up?

All the 'stans get pretty confusing.

I think you guys are all full of sh*t! Tajikistan is a bitch to find - even for the Euros.

Can anybody name one city in Tajikistan besides the capitol? Hell can anybody name the capitol?

BTW LA is bigger than Tajikistan. Hint LA is not the capitol of Tajikistan.

No offense intended stud.

11. dudewherezbilly

dudewherezbilly New Member

May 17, 2007
    krygystan (sp), uzbekistan, afghanistan.. all the stans are together that is easy enough.

if i am smarter than 90% of americans or whatever for being able to name foreign countries, why aren't i in the top 10% of income? i guess because there are no rewards for being aware of the outside world here

12. skydaddy8

skydaddy8 New Member

Aug 5, 2007
    norman,ok
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

haha what? free education ? financial aid for college? theres no excuse for not being educated. People choose to not be educated.

13. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    Great job taking a complicated issue and pretending like it's simple so you can criticize people and do nothing.

14. garnet&blackattack

garnet&blackattack New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who cares how smart our girls are? As long as they're hot!!!

However, I was somewhat dissapointed that she was re-inforcing some negative stereotypes about the South. But, to her defense, the nickname for Lexington (where she is from) is "Rednecks-ington.":D

15. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004

Dude... i agree with you. Tajikstan is a bitch to find. I probably couldn't point it out on a map (i'd point to the general area and have like a 1 in 4 chance).

I was just responding to the guy who said more than half of the people in LA know where tajikstan is... I'm 100% sure that's not ture.