Tailgate with the General Manager

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by KC Salty, Sep 30, 2004.

1. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't definite yet, but I've invited Curt to the Mystics / Cauldron tailgate in parking section B5 before our first home playoff game for what has become our annual Q&A with the GM. He thinks he should be able to make it, but we need to iron out the time closer to the actual date.

We aren't doing it before the season finale due to the double header with the women Nats.

So, do you want to get insight into our expansion draft plans, new rumors of a SSS, our own player acquisition strategies, etc? Then get your thinking caps on and prepare to fire questions at the GM. One suggestion though, while I'm not saying ask softball questions, remember that we're inviting Curt and that makes him our guest. If you treat guests well and with respect, they're likely to return. Or to paraphrase your mother's advice, "If you can't ask anything nicely, don't ask anything at all."

Finally, Curt wanted me to relay the following to everyone in The Cauldron:

"I think the players reaction to the Cauldron after the Open Cup championship game says it all but please relay to everyone that the support has been phenomenal. The sections part in helping us have a home field advantage throughout the run to the Open Cup is appreciated. We certainly want to build on that championship and your continued enthusiasm and support will be necessary as we make a run at MLS Cup 2004. Thanks!

Curt"

2. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Why would anyone have reason to ask anything unkind?
    :)

Anything can be asked in a respectful tone. With all due respect, if he can't come out to play then maybe he should stay in the house.

Not that it really matters, I remember last year's set of questions were mostly deflected with the deft consistency of a politico. Commit to nothing, answer only what has been filtered previously.

I would certainly welcome CJ's presence. I'm encoraged by optomism that a question of relevance might actually draw a definitive response. It could happen.

Excellent acknowledgement of the fact that KC is undefeated at Arrowhead in the USOC since Snitko's throwing one into his own net on a rainy night v COL many years ago. Thank you Mr. J.

3. jussen1

jussen1 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    SJ
    You mean your GM doesn't come by every tailgate to do tequilla shots?

4. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based upon his performance in player acquisitions, you would think he does. A lot. :p

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One question that I would like to ask the Curt, but can't since I won't be there, would be about the situation in San Jose with security, his feelings on it, and what the Wizards do to make sure something like that doesn't happen at Arrowhead, other then our friend the queen marine. I don't know if this is the right spot, but I thought since I'm not going to be there for it, that I'd post my question here.

6. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I wasn't in the Cauldron for the San Jose game, but security has been great in all the games for the 2nd half of the season. Nobody's been testing them I guess, but I've heard a lot worse than "crap" come out of the Cauldron since then -- and security hasn't even flinched. In fact, I've seen multiple security personnel celebrating the team's recent success in the games and afterwards.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to the game in San Jose between the Earthquakes and the Galaxy, when some of the Galaxy fans had a run in with security.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    If by "run in" you mean the Galaxy fans' heads ran into the SJPD's batons, then yes.

9. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    How about somebody asking why we can't get all our road games televised?

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Excellent question.

----

I'd ask if there was any truth to the Wizards to Rochester/Houston rumors earlier this year.

I'd ask if KC is in line to 1) get a WCQ next year or 2) ever host an All-Star Game or MLS Cup.

Possibly related to the last question, I'd ask if he thinks the Wizards will have their own stadium within four or five years.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three more excellent questions andy.

12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Ben acting as Curt...

1) We know nothing about our organization being moved. As far as we're concerned we will be here next season.

2) We hope to get a WCQ and have submitted a request.
    2b) We have made it aware that we would like an MLS Cup/All-Star game, but the league has decided against it.

3) We'd like an SSS, but the community needs to provide it and that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon.

These are approximations, but I'm fairly sure I'm close. :)

13. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    crazy. i had written this response almost word-for-word and then decided to not post it. i totally wanted to say it, but for some reason felt that it might not be appropriate. glad someone said it.

14. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    If this is said, we won't allow a Cheney "Halliburton who?" and just drop the subject... ;)

The followup would be: "What changes then can be made to Arrowhead seating and gameday presentation to foster the intimate and exciting atmosphere that an SSS would provide? Are we content with what we have?"

A couple suggestions to send him back with wouldn't hurt. I personally would like to see the organization close the endzones and place the Yard next to the Cauldron on the inside.

Also, please limit sound effects and announcements to pregame, halftime, and postgame. We need to encourage appreciation and understanding of the game by not distracting the audience with in-game promotions. If you absolutely have to keep the Papa John's Magic Minute, that's the only one.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not gonna happen though, too many people along that sideline have season tickets there, some people, my family included have had those season tickets since year 1, that would not be the way to treat a loyal part of your fan base, by moving them so that the GA can be there.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    During the USOC Final there was no music over the PA that I remember, nor was there any Zard announcements or other PA driven distractions. Even the miking of the Cauldron was unnecessary. A small energetic crowd was great.

Can we - once and for all - get them to kill the music and sound bites? Please?

17. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Any game that hasn't been MLS related has always been like this. I don't know, but I'd assume there are rules for games sanctioned by USSF in competitions like WCQs or USOC that state you can't play the music.
    But it would be a great question to ask, specifically to point out how nice it was and maybe find out exactly what games they decide to play the crap and what the decision making process is. Then, mention that maybe that process needs an overhaul.

18. Prairielander

Prairielander New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    The Land of OZ
    What about putting GA into just the corner sections across the tunnel from the Cauldron and on the opposite side of the end zone then adding the sections currently under the traps. Close the rest of the end zone. I think that would be sufficient for most games. If you need more seats for a big game or giveaway night, open up the rest of the end zone (or the other end as they’ve done in the past).

19. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Maybe so, but unless someone requested it, you'd think most season ticket holders would be happy to have a seat even closer to the center. The Yard could be moved to that same section, but on the opposite side of the field if that was a problem. They've spread everyone out too much IMO. There is no reason to open the endzones without a serious sized crowd. When everyone is more compact, it will be a much better game experience.

20. gk0002

gk0002 New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Lee's Summit
    Someone should tell him to read the Wizards forums on Bigsoccer every so often. Then he could get an idea of what the fans want. That way he doesn't have to bombarded with suggestions and complaints the whole time IMHO.

21. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, just as Peter Wilt does on the Chicago forum. What a concept, eh?

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't know about Curt specifically, but I do know that the front office is aware of what goes on here. I don't know how closely they follow things, but I know that they do check in from time to time.

23. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spoke with Curt a couple of years ago and he specifically said that he does NOT read these boards. Now, that may have changed since then, but I'm not sure....

24. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    It's been suggested by more than one person.

25. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    Let's see what happens with a little comparison here:

Peter Wilt reads the suggestions of his fans on the boards...and puts together a team that might not make the playoffs in the EAST.

Curt Johnson doesn't read the boards...and puts together a team fighting for the SS and in line for home-field advantage in the playoffs.

So which is the better strategy? ;)