Tag Line Question

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Steigs, Sep 17, 2003.

1. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: agreed

Hey PJ - thank God you set us straight on who the all-knowing and wise are.

While I think #8 is totally off base, don't be such a dipstick. It means what it means.
    That fact that it has such great value as a double entendre for DC United fans makes it all the better.(See my earlier post).

It's a quote. From a book. You should try reading one sometime.

2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Re: Re: agreed

Rough..thanks for that.

3. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    easy, tiger

My post wasn't bagging on anyone. I actually gave Thamlin tickets to the autograph session, so I obviously think he's a great guy.

My point is that unless you post all of the time, you weren't in on the discussion for the tagline change, and you missed the meaning and significance of the quote.

I only meant to say that the quote shouldn't be an insider thing that only frequent posters or Italian-speaking DC United fans would understand. A quote in English would make sense to all posters, whether they were frequent or first-timers.

As far as the reading cut, I didn't get into medical school because I'm illiterate. You're right though, I haven't kept up with my Italian classics like I should have :)

Hey look at that! - a response without name calling or mocking. I reserve those for Burn fans :)

#8 Member

Jul 5, 2000
    Washington DC metro
    Re: easy, tiger

A post that better reflects my actual feelings on this matter. I couldn't have said it better myself - and I didn't.

5. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

After three threads, a thousand posts, a congressional investigation and an Official BigSoccer poll, we settled on this tagline. :rolleyes:

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

Thanks!!

:)

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    1. Again, we're not changing it until the season's over. And maybe not even for a while then - unless we win something. Then we'll talk.

2. The idea that a tagline shouldn't ever be an insider thing is wrong. Those who sustain this board - the frequent posters you speak of - have the right to decide upon the tagline board because, quite frankly, it's their board. If they want a tagline that only they get then so be it.

3. It being in Italian doesn't make it any less of obscure then some taglines in English. Chicago has "Come on, it's just a loaf of bread". That's pretty damned esoteric. (Though DC United supporters really should know it's significance.) Indeed, while it doesn't take too much Googling to figure out the DC tagline, Chicago's tag - you can't even Google that. It's truly esoteric knowledge for the privileged few.

4. Did I mention that we're not changing it until after the season ends? And maybe not even then unless we win someting ...

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: easy, tiger

Don't forget the recount and the Supreme Court decision.

9. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Re: Re: Re: easy, tiger

IIRC, wasn't there a parting of the Potomac and a 'burning bush' involved as well...

All I know is that as much as I railed against the tagline at the time and still don't like it, I don't want go through another "selection" process in the next 2 season...

10. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: easy, tiger

or the hanging chads

11. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Speaking of Hell-

The Metrostars shall burn in Hell!

12. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Seriously though, if and when the tagline is changed again, it should only be changed to "*#*#*#*# THE METRO" because that is the sole truth of the universe.