T51: England v. Sweden, 6 July

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by soccernutter, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It was like that was the only Swedish song that the French knew, they had it on repeat from what I heard :ROFLMAO:

Obviously never heard of gräva guld i usa

kolabear repped this.
  2. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Go Sweden!!! Nice job dismantling the English dynasty!!!

3. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Didn’t watch the match but England sounds like bad losers
    Congrats Sweden for a good tournament! :thumbsup:

blissett repped this.
  4. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    It was an obvious handball and looks very intentional... should have been a yellow

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Ok, that’s just ridiculous, lol.

Steve Page and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  6. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Now, you're obviously here for trolling. Get out.

M, JimWharton, Romario'sgurl and 2 others repped this.
  7. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know, but England head coaching job would be an attractive position for her someday after she’s done with USWNT.

Mark Sampson probably laughing at Phil right now or he already did.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Strong of Sweden to peak in this World Cup. I didn't see them as potential medal winners a month ago. A very favourable first round group allowed them to rotate astutely and then they grew from there. I'm reading the bronze winning team will have a big welcome home parade in Gothenburg on Monday. A tour with an open top bus ending on the main square in the city.

I'm sure Norway wouldn't have a reception like that even with gold medals after seven straight 5-0 wins. We would have a minister showing up at the airport with a bouquet of flowers and that's it. :coffee:

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is it simply there isn't a lot of fan support in Norway? Surely more support for the women's team than for the men's right?

10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posters can criticize Neville, but of course it's hard to get up for the 3rd-4th game. All he did is say what's obvious.

I think some people thinking he, and some members of the US team and other teams, are obnoxious, arrogant, you name it ... is great for women's soccer. The more passion, the better.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    There is fan support, but that parade thing is very 'un-Norwegian'.

Nope. Well, may be if Ada Hegerberg comes back, there might be a sudden rush in the ticket sales. Norway host England in early September. I wonder if there might be a record attendance after the World Cup.

blissett repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Interesting. Wouldn't a Parade also be very "un-Swedish"?

blissett repped this.
  13. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    No, Sweden have these home comings from time to time. I've seen their hockey team after winning in Olympics or world championships, for instance.

blissett repped this.
  14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I’m confused.
    Out of town and not able to watch match. I see all the posts saying that you can’t call the handball and then I see this that makes it clear as can be. Ball comes up, she cups it with her arm. That’s handling all day long.

jnielsen repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    And yet Norway hasn't?

Sorry, I don't mean to be difficult or to allege you 2 are the same. It's just surprising that your nation would be uneasy with parades honoring sports heroes. Specifically female sporting heroes. That'd be precisely what many in society would be desiring, I'd reckon.

16. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    No worries. There was nothing for the wins at WWC 1995, Olympics 2000 or endless amount of medals at the Euros. Our handball women have won buckets of medals in tournaments without any parades also. There just hasn't been a culture for parades so far. I hope it changes when the next opportunity for celebration comes.

jnielsen and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No need to call it out, just report the post and let me do what ever it is that I need to do.

18. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I mentioned in the Referee Forum, I now understand what White is gesturing about. She's not claiming the ball went off her body rather than her arm; she's saying the ball came off the Swedish defender's body, Sembrant's stomach, and she's right.

I still have to leave it to referees whether this is handling under either old or new laws, but this is very contrary to common sense.

Of course, I also question the common sense of automatically, unconditionally, calling this handling when two players are jostling for position like this. If not for the tussle for position, White gets her body in a position she wants, more in front of the ball, shielding it.

blissett, M and Kakeru repped this.
  19. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    jnielsen, jocasta and blissett repped this.
  20. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    What was that stadium - 1/3 full?

21. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    More than half full. People were moving and trying to avoid sitting right under the sun, but they still managed to get a little more than 20,300 people in a stadium that is configured to hold 36,718.

I'm disappointed with the English turnout in this tournament. The Germans brought their share of spectators at every single match involving Germany, but the English should have done a lot more considering geographical proximity and accessibility between both countries.

22. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Holy crap that was a fun game. Wish we’d have seen that Fran Kirby the whole tournament.

Neville. Neville. Neville.

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Although Nice is not exactly the closest French town to England. :giggle:

kolabear repped this.
  24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the part of the law (an addition to the handling part of the law this past year) that is relevant: [bold is my own]
    "It is an offense if a player:
    -deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving their hand/arm towards the ball
    -gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then scores in the opponent's goal or creates a goal-scoring opportunity
    -scores in their opponent's goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper"

It doesn't need to be deliberate anymore if that second bullet point happens. It came off the arm by accident but still led to the goal? Handball. Period.

And I think White even makes a movement of her arm to control the ball, which would even fall under the first bullet point. But that's debatable. The second is not.

jnielsen, jocasta, kolabear and 4 others repped this.
  25. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. We all suspected, watching the World Cup, that the new laws were draconian.

The second point (about touching hand/arm) practically renders the first point ("deliberately touches") moot, irrelevant, or superfluous.

The new law is clear. It's just that, as I said and as this play shows, it's contrary to common sense. Another failure on the part of IFAB/FIFA/the Committee led by referees like Collina and Busacca.

As I've also said before, the laws are being rewritten and reinterpreted not for the benefit of the players playing the game, nor the fans, nor the game itself, but for referees to absolve them of blame. And it's ruining the game.

Steve Page and blissett repped this.