Sweden VS Mexico?

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by cocreator, Nov 22, 2004.

1. cocreator

cocreator New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    I heard that Sweden and Mexico would be playing in a friendly
    some time in january of 2005.

Do any of you Swedes or Scandi's know any thing of this?

Do you know of any information supporting this news?

If it is true, do you think that sweden would take a good team or just leave for the
    young and not so experienced players?

thankyou in advance for any responses :)

2. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Sweden will be playing Mexico January 26 somewhere in California and another match is scheduled for January 30, opposition unnamed but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be USA.

The swedish national team usually plays a winter tournament (in Thailand and Hongkong the last two years), manily to try out promising domestic players. The big names (Larsson, Ljungberg, Ibrahimovic et al) never participate in these games, they are busy with their clubs.

3. Jombajomba

Jombajomba New Member

May 23, 2002

Its only for domestic players, except for the domestics good enough for the first team. I think the real nt is playing france just about that date as well.

4. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Sweden plays in France on February 9, and that would be the last friendly before World Cup qualifying gets underway again at the end of March. At this point, the national team is done for the year, the match against Scotland was the last scheduled game for 2004.

Final round qualifying for CONCACAF's slots in the World Cup begins on Feb. 9 as well, so I wouldn't be surprised either to see the USA take the January 30 game, especially if it is in California to begin with.

5. DIF1891

DIF1891 Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Stockholm
    The National team on these winter tours consist of players from the leagues that are on winter break, the scandinavian leagues that is. So there is always a lot of talent on show but the big names will be missing.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the up-and-coming stars of the swedish league will be in the team as Dusan Djuric, Samuel Holmén, Markus Rosenberg and Tobias Hysén. Hopefully the older keepers will be left at home and the recent U-21 keepers will get a chance like John Alvbåge and Jonas Sandqvist, it would be nice to have someone younger and better than Hedman as backup to Isaksson.

6. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    So to answer the question will Swedan be playing Mexico and so then I guess Mexico will be using it's B team which will be cool because the more practice the merrier!!!

7. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    My guess is you'd see the Mexico "A" team, or whatever they can pull together off of it, for at least a half...the CONCACAF final round World cup qualifying begins in the first week of February, this would be one of the final tune-ups for them (and the US, assuming they take the other match)

8. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    It would probably work wonders for both sides!!! I hope it's a fast hard game thats all i'm asking for for the two sides to battle and put a good show!!!

9. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hopefully Lavolpe will use some of the younger players he's been working with instead of using some of Mexico's older veterans.

10. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Yeah thats true?

11. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Apparently, Sweden-Mexico will be at Petco Park in San Diego on January 26th. Sweden-USA has been scrapped due to a dispute between the USSF and national team players, which lead to the cancellation of a December training session, and 2 friendlies in January for the USA. Instead, Sweden will play South Korea at the Home Depot Center on January 22. Tickets for that game are available now, through Ticketmaster, and will run you anywhere from $18-45.

12. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Yeah I heard about the south-korea and Swedan match at the home depot center thats a good brush up for Swedan and Korea can't tell who would win that i mean Korea has been looking good at times!!! But then the next game in San Diego, Ca on Jan 26 which I will be attending I can't believe that I am driving two and a half hours down south of me to see a soccer match but not just any soccer match it's Swedan and Mexico which will be pretty intense plus I will be sitting close to the field I don't think any of you swedes have ever been to a Mexico match before omg it gets loud like I mean those horns you hear blowing and people shouting Mexico Mexico it's high energy!!! I love it!!!

13. urtel

urtel Member

Jul 16, 2003
    PDX
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    Sweden names squad to face Mexico/South Korea

Goalies
    Eddi Gustafsson, Molde
    Jonas Sandqvist, Landskrona

Backs
    C Andersson, Lillestrom
    Mikael Dorsin, Rosenborg BK
    Teddy Lucic, Häcken
    Mattias Nylund, Sundsvall
    Olof Persson, Malmo
    Fredrik Risp, Goteborg
    Alexander Ostlund, Hammarby

Midfield/Forwards
    Niclas Alexandersson, Goteborg
    Daniel Andersson, Malmo
    Petter Andersson, Hammarby
    Tobias Hysen, Djurgården
    Andreas Johansson, Djurgården
    George Mourad, Goteborg
    Marcus Rosenborg, Malmo
    Fredrik Berglund, Esjberg
    Johan Elamander, Brondby
    Martin Ericsson, Alborg
    Stefan Ishizaki, Valerenga

14. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Re: Sweden names squad to face Mexico/South Korea

These are the players I have heard of before from that list which I think they are good, but correct me if I am wrong??? I heard of Ericsson,Rosenborg,Andersson all three of them but not sure which one of them is popular, oh and Johansson!! Yeah those names sound familiar!!!??? I hope Mexico uses their B squad why because they need the experience which I think they will along with some exceptions!!! Anyone know when their flight leaves from Swedan to LAX I bet their flying SAS Scandanavian airlines!!!

15. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're gonna have the game in North Tijuana?

16. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing against Mexico instead of USA, it's a much better chance to get to see them here in the US! :cool: :eek:

17. Jombajomba

Jombajomba New Member

May 23, 2002
    Granqvist and Djuric are the most talanted [that has nothing to do with age] players I have seen in their seperate positions, for I dont know how many years, but of course they are overlooked for...the likes of Stefan Ishizaki, Petter Andersson, Risp, O.Persson, C.Andersson etc.

Nice to see D.Andersson back and hopefully he will given a chance on his proper position but...again Stefan Ishizaki? Bah...bah, bah.

18. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

Please keep your racist comments to yourself this is not the forum for those type of comments!!! I don't need to lower myself to your level!!! :mad:

19. urtel

urtel Member

Jul 16, 2003
    PDX
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    Most of the players listed show a great deal of potential. Teddy Lucic will probably be the Swedes' skipper.

Should be a good show.

20. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    I guess this is Swedans future team well thats good that their all young!!! about whats the average age of the players in that squad to come over to california??

21. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    My Mexican counter parts were telling me in another forum Mexico needs to use alot of caution on corner kicks from Swedan because of the height advantage!!! We would get killed by the headers because Swedes are alot taller than Mexican players!!! So what mexico needs to do is kick the ball on corner tries and kick it to the out side of the box so that way we can reliegh it around for a penatrating shot!!!

22. DIF1891

DIF1891 Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Stockholm
    The squad selected for this match didn't get a great reception from swedish football fans, some players are over the top as Alexandersson and Lucic and are not considered the future so therefore should have stayed home. Many swedes will have a problem with Daniel Andersson getting picked as he has been awful for the national team in pretty much all of his 38 games, not a peoples favourite that one.

Personally I'm a bit surprised that Ishizaki and Petter Andersson were in the squad as well. They showed some sparks during the season but Ishizaki really only played well a couple of games and has really not gotten any better the last 2 years, Petter Andersson made a bright start to the season but did not shine in the last half.

Players like Granqvist, Djuric, Holmén and Arneng should perhaps have been picked instead.

The average age btw is 24,75 so it's not exceptionally young by any standards but there are a couple of up and coming players in there like Rosenberg and Hysén. And some with potential who if they excel with the chance they are getting may cause an upset, Mourad and Petter Andersson for example.

23. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I've also seen quite alot of Swedes at svenskafans.com, wanting the midfielder Tobias Grahn in the team...

24. Jombajomba

Jombajomba New Member

May 23, 2002

25. DIF1891

DIF1891 Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Stockholm