Sweden Friendly

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by kinstlinger, Nov 24, 2004.

1. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    Read in this morning's Wahl CNN/SI Column that our boys will be playing Sweden in January - any news on this ?

They don't play their next UEFA qualifier until March, vs Bulgaria, so it's not like they'll need to bring their big guns for a big game.

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Expect another Denmark-esque roster. Basically a Swedish league all-star team...

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home or away?

:D

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Maybe they will bring their bikini team.

5. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Outstanding!

6. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Anybody know where this game would take place? Probably HDC, my guess, because the US will be training there in January.

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

If a Scandinavian team is coming across the Atlantic in January, you can bet your sweet a$$ it is going to be somewhere high profile, warm and sunny. Therefore the only places can be

1. Miami
    2. LA (if the US and S. Korea are having camps there, this will be the location)

8. sweet nick willy

sweet nick willy New Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Barcelona
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Christian Wilhemsson and his mullet are going to play...

[​IMG]

:eek:

9. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Sweden is playing Mexico in California on January 26. As of this point, I haven't heard a venue announced, but the Swedes have another game in California on the 30th against, at this point, unnamed opposition. With Mexico too, this is more preparation for the Hex, than buildup for Sweden. The domestic teams will all be in preseason training by that point, most club friendlies begin in February, so it'd more than likely be a domestic team.

Rumor in the US schedule thread is that the US-Sweden match would be at HDC. If South Korea and Mexico are both there too, it wouldn't surprise me too much to see US-Sweden, US-South Korea, Mexico-Sweden, Mexico-Korea all at the HDC the last couple weeks in January.

10. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Now that's what I'm talking about! No qualifiers out here but if this were the consolation, I wouldn't complain. All four teams advanced past the group stage, the US were quarterfinalists, Korea semifinalists... not a bad little mini-tournament at HDC. Add the U-20 qualifying and that's one hell of a January.

11. Justin Cedar

Justin Cedar New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Edwardsville,IL/STL
    They'd best be televising that shtuff cause there's no way I can make it to Cali twice in one month!

12. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I would not hold my breath for ESPN, but I am fairly confident we can count on Telemundo

13. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, a very busy & interesting month of soccer at the HDC. My plan is to see USA-S. Korea (imagine how many Korean babes will be there...WOO), USA-Sweden & S. Korea-Mexico (MUST cheer for the Koreans).

HOWEVER, I would trade ALL those matches at the HDC for just ONE USMNT WCQ!! All this friendlies lead me to believe that the USSF has NO plans to give the HDC a WCQ in 2005, unfortunately.

14. HOWEVER, I would trade ALL those matches at the HDC for just ONE USMNT WCQ!! All this friendlies lead me to believe that the USSF has NO plans to give the HDC a WCQ in 2005, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe HDC didn't host a WCQ in the last round, but it should certainly get one (or two) in the next round. This is the premier soccer stadium in the US. Maybe we'll get the game against T&T, probably the only nation in the Hex without enough nationals in the LA-area to turn it into a road match for the US-MNT.

Hosting matches at HDC, whether WCQ or friendlies, adds to the prestige of US Soccer in general. When I attended MLS Cup earlier this month, I was greeted by a fellow FulhamFC supporter, who had flown from England just for our little old league championship match and to see Home Depot. When he returned to London, I'm sure he sang the praises of American soccer based not only on the quality of the match, but also on the quality of the facility.

I also attended the Denmark friendly earlier in '04. This was about as well- attended, if not better-attended, than the recent WCQ in C'bus. Moreover, the Galaxy draw better than anyone else in MLS. LA fans and HDC attendees should be rewarded with more games to attend. JMH(and self-interested)O.

15. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    arena always limits meaningful west coast matches due to the travel from europe....

adding three more time zones, just magnifies the jet lag

16. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    He's got nothing on Spector

17. Raider Red

Raider Red Member

Jul 30, 2002
    Dallas
    Jet lag means we'll see the MLS-US All-Stars.

18. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I suspect those who play against sweden, are those FROM MLS who'll play feb 9...

given it's korea and sweden....getting these guys match fit is imperative, so we might not see much liberal subbing at all...