News: Sweden and Mexico in January?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by KZ Man, Nov 8, 2008.

1. KZ Man

KZ Man Member

Jun 12, 2006
    NoVa
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Times reporting that U.S. and Mexico will play Sweden and possibly another Scandinavian team, probably at the HDC in LA.

"The U.S. national soccer team will play Sweden on Jan. 24, most likely at the Home Depot Center in Carson and possibly as part of a doubleheader featuring Mexico and another Scandinavian team."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/11/usa-and-mexico.html

So would this team be drawn from the camp cupcake call-ups?

Edit: Actually the article suggests it would be the camp cupcake group: "If U.S. Coach Bob Bradley follows precedent, he will call the American squad together in Carson for a two-week January camp leading up to the Sweden game."

2. mcadaal

mcadaal Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What does camp cupcake mean? I'm sorry - I've been out of the loop. I know its obviously a USMNT camp, but why call it that?

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no euros, mainly fringe players .... it's not the meat-and-potatoes (another food reference!) of the roster. it's the lower run of the player pool. Camp Cupcake.

4. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Not trying to sound slick-at-the-mouth but this is old news.

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and the title of the main thread is misleading. from what I read, the US is playing Sweden, not Mexico. Mexico might be part of a doubleheader and then play Sweden themselves. But I didn't see where it said the US was playing Mexico.

6. KZ Man

KZ Man Member

Jun 12, 2006
    NoVa
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No mention of it on the US Soccer site.

7. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Hex starts in February, we will probably start a few more mainstream players than the usualy January camp. I can easily see it being a stronger than usual Camp Cupcake

8. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has there ever been any talk of playing Russia, also has a summer league, in January?

9. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt it as the date is most likely not a FIFA date so the Euro based players clubs don't have to release them.

I think it will be our best team from MLS, Scandinavian Leagues and FMF.

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you say no Euro-based players, that doesn't include Scandinavia, since those leagues have a similar calendar (which is why the January game is generally against a Scandinavian team).

In reality, we should call this a B international, but USSF would never do that.

11. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    And there probably won't be until a month before the game.

12. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly...hence this line:

13. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    the hex will start end of february...

i'd suspect camp cupcakle is all about keeping mls talent in shape, although i can see some guys going to some euro club to train...

but the hex players will be largely euro based, with donovan being an exception..

we shall see who ends up where in january

14. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Agree with the description of the attendees being mostly domestic, but I don't follow the logic why that leads us to "cupcake."

15. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FYP!

16. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    11 February
    28 March
    1 April
    6 June
    10 June
    12 August
    5 September
    9 September
    10 October
    14 October

yes, i was thinking of the march 28 date

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The US's WCQ dates in June were moved up three days by Fifa --

11 February
    28 March
    1 April
    3 June
    7 June
    12 August
    5 September
    9 September
    10 October
    14 October

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2008/11/morning_kickaround_96.html
    -------
    *The two U.S. World Cup qualifiers scheduled for June 6-10 will now be played between June 3 and 7, FIFA announced. The reason for the change was the USA's participation in the Confederations Cup, which takes place June 14-28 in South Africa. The final round of CONCACAF qualifying begins Feb. 11. The schedule and pairings for each of the 10 matchdays are expected to be finalized next month.
    -------

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2008/11/midday_kickaround_7.html
    -------
    *Update on a morning item: I am now hearing that the CONCACAF final-round draw for World Cup qualifying might end up taking place Nov. 23 -- the same weekend as the FIFA Confederations Cup draw and MLS Cup.
    -------

18. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Interesting. I'm actually eagerly looking forward to seeing who we get paired up with in the Confederations Cup (even though so many have expressed what they believe to be our group) as well as who we play and when we play them in the next round of qualifying.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There was supposed to be a Gold Cup in 2009, but I just can't see it fitting in there. Maybe it's already been cancelled and I haven't been paying attention. I guess it could take place in July............

MLS players on the national team could be out months at a time. I don't know how MLS avoids it.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    "Camp Cupcake" has been the Big Soccer nickname for this camp for many years. I'm not sure where it originates from. Kind of like the OTC, ABMOD, and GAM, BigSoccer develops it's own language.

I always though it was because the camp mostly consisted of young 'uns from MLS who are trying to make an impact. The team always seems to play a "B" side from Scandinavia as well. Who knows...........

It's always interesting to see who's on the roster for this camp. It gives guys a chance to impress Bob prior to the hex and Confederations Cup. This is the chance for Kenny Cooper, Robbie Rogers, and company to really show everybody that they belong. And not just in the game, but in the practices and locker-room as well.

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Individual Eleven (then under another screen name, which he posted) gave it in 2006.

The Cupcake referred to the quality of opposition - then Norway's and Japan's domestic squads and Guatemala - that followed the three week training period.

22. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because our top players aren't going to be there.

if you're playing a team with a bunch of second and third teamers, they'd be a cupcake. this is our cupcake team. most of concacaf is cupcakes ...

23. USA 1776

USA 1776 Member

Feb 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden? Again?

24. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread somehow suggests the notion that we are playing Sweden and Mexico in a doubleheader.

That would actually be amazing. What a grinder for the players. Yeah, Bob, work them boys into shape! Woooooo. That'd be kind of like a weekend U-12 youth tournament set-up...or Futbolito. Sweet!

25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002