Suprise, Suprise, Wenger dodges blame again

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by prk166, Sep 21, 2003.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    http://www.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=164394&cpid=8&title=Wenger's+Ruud+rage

I always expect a manager to support his players through thick and thin. But you can give support without dodging blame. I'd like to see Arse for once just say that Viera is a spaz, did something stupid, and could've cost his team the game. I'm fully open to the possibilty that RVN got in a cheap when he climbed up Viera's back. However, it didn't look that on TV.

More so, what is Viera's deal? I love to have a fiery player that gets out of control every now and then. Keane's done it. But Viera seems so much more better at having consitantly spazzing out over stupid things. I hope the FA throw in an extra game or three suspension for Viera's actions after the play.

2. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first step to fixing a problem is admitting that the problem exists. Wenger's failure to accept the mistakes of his players is just part of the reason for their horrible disciplinary record. He can cry "bias" all he wants, but at the end of the day you live with the decisions of your players on the pitch. I think we all saw this reaction coming.

3. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a relatively new United fan, I can't say I ever truly hated Arsenal because they had never given me a reason to.

Well, after today, I hate ARSEnal.

4. red sleaze

red sleaze New Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Manchester NH
    Welcome to the club, but the Scousers are the traditional hated enemy for those living in Manchester. Two seasons ago it was a relief that the Arse won the title instead of Liverpool.

5. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    It seems to me that the whole Arsenal setup, club and fans, are seeing things through a fog of paranoia. The behaviour of their team here was a disgrace. An absolute disgrace and I'll be very surprised if the FA don't come down on them very heavily indeed.

Wenger is talking absolute garbage when he accuses RvN of overplaying Vieira's attempted kick. He made a clumsy challenge on Vieira. It was nothing more than that. As they both fell he fell partially on top of Vieira. As he got up Vieira clearly made an attempt to kick him. The kick didn't come anywhere near making contact and RvN, seeing the kick, moved away from him. Nothing else. No dive. No false claim he was kicked. Nothing to exaggerate a stupid response from Vieira and an indication he still can't control the red mist reaction.

The ref was perfectly placed to see what happened. It was a deliberate attempt to kick RvN. It was a red card in itself - though it didn't make contact, the INTENTION was clear. Reminiscent to me of Beckham's kick on Simeone against Argentina but without Simeone's exaggerated response.

Presumably, because it didn't make contact the ref only gave a yellow. But it was second yellow and he was off.

The penalty was a weak one but Keown does have a habit of sneakily interfering with attackers and this time it was all too obvious. He clearly pushed Forlan as he went for a cross in the middle of the box. I don't think in fact Forlan would have got to the cross and it was an unnecessary push. But, push it was, and it clearly unbalanced Forlan and ensured that he didn't get to the ball. Keown cannot complain he was badly done by. He gets away with his interference tactics often but not this time.

But after the final whistle the behaviour of several of the players - particularly Keown, who threw a punch at RvN's back, was atrocious. That any manager can stand for that sort of behaviour is ridiculous. That he now tries to justify it is sick.

RvN did absolutely nothing in response. It took enormous self control not to react as he was set upon by four Arsenal players. He was clearly feeling gutted as a result of the missed penalty and just wanted to get back to the dressing room. The Arsenal players jeered, humiliated and pushed him around and behaved like complete scum.

It won't improve until Wenger sees what everyone else can see - his players have no self control, no discipline. They're a disgrace to English football!

6. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Typical Arsenal after the game to be all over Ruud. No class. Arsenal can be a beautiful offensive team when they are clicking on all cylinders, but when they are in their defensive third of the field, they are pure thuggery. At some point Wenger has got to take responsibility for the team's poor discipline. A lucky point for the GOONers.

7. Desigol

Desigol New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    County Tyrone, NI
    Reminds me of Johnny English saying, "The only thing the French should host is an invasion!" :). btw, Ruud needs a pair of flippers and a snorkel to improve his dives. ;)

8. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    funniest.post.ever

RvN did nothing in response because he couldn't, he's 100% pure C*NT. I'm surpised RvN didn't dive to the ground in pain when the Arsenal players were in his face.

9. USsupport

USsupport New Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arlington, VA, USA
    he showed more self control than I would have done in that situation. I'm glad he did. If it was me (or most other people I'd guess) I'd be looking at a lengthy ban for reacting to the Parlour/Keown/Lauren taunting.

10. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    it wasn't self control ... it was fear.

11. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian New Member

Mar 18, 2003
    Club:
    --other--
    This type of comment I would expect from an idiot. Fortunately not all Arse fans are idiots.

I was in a pub watching the game, and an Arse fan threw a stool in my direction after RvN missed. Fine, although I was not identified as a Man U supporter, and there was a kid sitting next to me who nearly took the brunt of the flying chair.

Really mature behaviour. Keep it up, lads. Your team has the fans it currently deserves.

12. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he should have turned and punched Keown square in the nose, kicked Lauren in the nuts, and did a Cantona on Ashley Cole's face.

Clearly, Ruud is not Arsenal material. :rolleyes:

13. USsupport

USsupport New Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arlington, VA, USA
    maybe you're relying on your own experience to judge what RVN felt.

it just keeps getting better.

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Arsenal's Behavior

I put the following on Arsenal's boards, which will no doubt please their fans -

Let me give you the neutral position.

Between the poor European performances, the red cards, and the Wenger excuses, Arsenal is fast becoming the joke of our office. I'm talking about European soccer fans who are neither Arsenal nor Man U supporters. True neutrals, like me.

It's one thing to be hated. It's another to be the butt of jokes. Your players -- and your coach -- need to get a grip. They're embarrassing the name of the club that you support.

Before you get too excited, though ... Keane is a thug, RvN dives too often, and Fergie's as big a whiner as Wenger. Your behavior isn't perfect, either. But yes, better than Arsenal's, of that there is no doubt.

15. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    I'm totally nuetral, but this sort of post exemplifies Arsenal's problems. Arsenal's biggest problems are from within.
    Wenger, I believe will be gone as a result of his total lack of management of his team. They are the most talented EPL side, but find ways to lose. That is managerial.

16. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Interesting take. Just after the debacle against Inter Milan if you'd browsed the Arsenal boards you'd have found them arguing amongst themselves as to whether Wenger's passed his freshness date. Now when you hear the Arsenal board coming out to condemn the behavior of their players last Sunday, one wonders how much more they can tolerate. Quite simply the behavior of their players at the end of the match was disgusting. I have yet to hear or read anything Wenger's said publicly to disavow their behavior. Instead, he took the opportunity to launch a fresh assault on RVN, although his was verbal, and now he's been asked to explain himself to the FA. Clearly, Wenger is part of (if not the root of) Arsenal's disciplinary problem, and not the solution. If Wenger doesn't see the light and continues as an enabler, I think he could indeed find himself out of work at Highbury.

17. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well with such a well-thought out argument, how can one argue otherwise? :rolleyes:

18. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/030925/325/e9ex0.html

Wenger:

20. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very impressive from the Frenchman. He manages to play down what his players did, blames the media for it all, accuses the FA of bias, and STILL it gets reported as an "apology". Well done. :rolleyes:

21. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ""That doesn't mean we were right," said the Frenchman. "But it does mean some people get away with things here that they shouldn't get away with.""

Tell us something we don't know, Arsene...all law and punishment is based on getting caught.

22. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any truth to the rumour that the FA have requested Arsene Wenger to explain his "apology" now as well?

:D

23. flounderchop

flounderchop New Member

Say what ...

Arsene must be totally blind when it comes to the actions of his players:

By this comment, I am guessing that Arsene walked to the dressing room before the final whistle.

24. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Re: Say whay ...

Which is funny becaue in his post-game interview he said he saw everything because he was sitting so high at OT he had a good view! In any other sport this guy would have been out on his ass long ago!

25. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Say what ...

So blame Sky for getting caught? Sure thing, Mr Coates (Dream Team reference).