Supporter's Shield

Discussion dans 'MLS: News & Analysis' créé par TWR, 16 Septembre 2003.

1. TWR

TWR New Member

18 Janvier 2000
    New York
    Right now there are two exciting things going on in MLS. One is the fight two stay out of the Eastern cellar. The other of course is the race for the vaunted Supporter's Shield. With six games to go Chicago and San Jose are dead even at 43pts with the Fire up by virtue of goal differential. Also Colorado Rapids are coming up on the outside shot at two games back. Looks like this race will go down to the wire. It deserves to get more attention.

Some crucial info that will decide the Supporter's Shield.

Recent Form:
    Chicago Fire (3-1-1)
    San Jose Earthquakes (2-2-1)
    Colorado Rapids (4-0-1)

Obviously the team formally known as the Crapids are the hottest team, but do they have enough time with only six games remaining to make up two games on two different teams. They will need a lot of help, but it can be done. San Jose seems to have leveled off.

Remaining Schedule:
    Chicago Fire/ at Dal, at Col, LA, CLB, COL, at CLB
    San Jose Quakes/at KC, Dal, MET, at COL, at LA, LA
    Colorado Rapids/at NE, Chi, at KC, SJ, at Chi, at Dal

Colorado has four road games, while Chicago and San Jose have three games each. How will the Fire react to being back in Soldier Field for their final homestand? Will they enjoy newfound support or will they miss the advantage that came with their knowledge of how to play on Naperville's crappy pitch. From first glance it looks like the Quakes have the easier schedule, but will they have the incentive to continue after clinching a spot in the MLS Cup tournament so early on.

Side Note: How many goals could Edson Buddle have scored if he had been healthy for the entire season? He easily could have been the leading goal scorer in MLS. Dude is good.

2. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

31 Juillet 2000
    Arlington, VA
    It should be interesting to see who comes out on top.

3. Greddy

Greddy Member

24 Juin 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry if this is a dumb question but, is the supporters shield actual silverware or just a title. I'm asking because I can't seem to find a picture of it.

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

8 Août 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Supporters' Shield is an actual trophy, created and paid for by... the supporters. I think the KC fans got it started and did the legwork, while fans of other teams sent money.

It is presented to the supporters of the winning team at the MLS Supporters' Summit held during MLS Cup weekend.

Here is a picture from Yellow Card Journalism of the presentation at MLS Cup last year. I believe that's Sam Pierron of KC on the left, and Ozzy, the Galaxian guy, on the right.

http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2002/1019_summit_ajm/web_IMG_8556.jpg

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

6 Janvier 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great picture. I love the Shield. It's pretty classy.

One thing working in Col's favor is they play Chicago twice and Earthquakes once (at home). So they will get plenty of chances to gain ground if they can produce the results.

On the other hand, I think at some point Hankinson has to rest some of his starters. He's been working them harder than ploughorses during the Depression. On the other, other hand, catching the Quakes does carry with it a significant benefit, i.e., being able to play the semifinal game at home if they pass through the QF round. So he'll probably be producing the whip as much as ever.

6. TIKY

TIKY New Member

6 Avril 2001
    San Diego
    ???

"I love the shield. It's pretty classy."

I think it looks like *#*#*#*#*#. I applaud the fans that started the SS and those who carry on but the trophy itself looks like crap, but so does the MLS Cup trophy so I guess the fans were just following tradition.

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

16 Septembre 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In any event, i would expect Chicago to win the Supporters Shield this year. Colorado is 6 pts back of 2 teams with 6 teams to go. Barring SJ and Chicago BOTH collapsing, Colorado can't overcome the 2 teams. On the other hand, SJ has been struggling since Brian Ching went out with injury a couple of weeks ago, and he ISN'T coming back this season. DeRosario should provide SOME relief, but hell, the guy is coming back from injury himself!

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

6 Janvier 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: ???

Or maybe you're just hard to please?

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    16 Février 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the organizing and centralized collection of fundage was Sam's work, and he deserves personal props anytime the Shield is mentioned, IMHO.

BTW, the Shield predates the current MLS Cup Trophy (you know, the one that looks like the Superbowl trophy). So the proper attribution is that the MLS Cup is ugly in reference to the ugliness of the Supporters Shield.

No harm calling a spade a spade, but I love it all the more for its hideous facade.

10. Greddy

Greddy Member

24 Juin 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info and great pic. I like the trophy design. I see that there is someting written at the base. I assume it is the past winners and their records. Is the trophy handed from team to team and added to like the stanley cup?

11. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

8 Août 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another picture where you can just about read the lettering. It has the year and team but not the record. Yes, the trophy is handed from team to team.

http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2002/1019_summit_ajm/web_IMG_8488.jpg

Again, thanks to YCJ for taking these pictures and keeping their archives online.

12. Scoey

Scoey Member

1 Octobre 1999
    Portland
    I agree. It's funky and weird and maligned. A perfect fit for MLS -- I mean that in a good way. I know the Supporter's Shield winner used to get invited to the CONCACAF Champion's Cup -- does it still? I love the fact that it get's some measure of official recognition.

13. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

24 Octobre 2000
    How much did the trophy cost? I think, if it's not cost prohibitive, one should be bought every year. It should be in a team's trophy case.

14. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

14 Février 2000
    North Jersey
    Are you willing to donate the money every year? Besides, who actually gets to see their teams trophy case? (No Metro jokes please)

15. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

9 Avril 1999
    it is kept in a team's case as far as I know. Like the Brimstone. It just gets passed on to the current holder. Stanley Cup is the same way.

Now, a plaque and banner to acknowledge the title is deserved and should be done. But I don't see anything wrong with just passing the trophy on every year to each team.

16. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

9 Avril 1999
    Anyone who walks in the front door of the Fire's office.

17. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

6 Janvier 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking for a trophy case at the HDC the last time I was there, but never found it. Anyone know if anyone had the foresight to actually create one?

One would think...

18. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

14 Février 2000
    North Jersey
    And how many fans actually do that? I happen to have seen the Metro's trophy case (yes, it does exist) when I went to the team office but the vast majority would never do that.

19. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

9 Avril 1999
    Quite a few. People go to the office to buy tickets, arrange group outings...plus all the corporate types who go there.

It's sitting right next to the reception desk, for crying out loud. How could you not see it?

Now, given an actual stadium, I'd imagine there'd be a more prominent place for this stuff.

Still, I don't really advocate making a new Supporter's Shield each year. It should be passed around team to team.

20. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

9 Avril 1999
    Someone told me it's in the restaurant.

21. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

6 Janvier 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which the general masses can't enter.

Lovely. And typical.

22. guamster

guamster Member+

30 Mars 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Well, CONCACAF announced yesterday a new format for the tournament where the US gets two entries. I guess it's up to the USSF to determine how those teams are selected. They could choose two out of the following three: MLS Cup Champions, US Open Cup Champions and Supporters' Shield.

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2128

23. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    16 Février 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeezus. More evidence of incompetence on the part of Blazer et al.

24. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

6 Janvier 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The link isn't working for me but this deserves a thread of its own.

25. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

24 Octobre 2000
    I understand the Stanley Cup, but they do get more than just the cup. So even if a trophy isn't given every year a plaque would be cool. Just something permanent that players, staff and fans can remember. Like the banners that hang from the rafters in an NHL stadium.

Actually I'd settle for a set of patches if the winning team used it on all of their jerseys, like lo scudetto.

Partager cette page