Supporter's Group Name--The Runoff

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by Dre00, Feb 11, 2006.

1. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, 1836 should be the name if it is changed.

I can't believe how angry I am about this right now....

:mad: :mad:

2. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop
    HOw many people are oging to continue to support the team? I just wat to know true feelings about this subject because Im angry as hell at them moment.

3. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After reading the e-mail that nobius got from Oliver Luck, I'm so pissed off right now, I can't even work right now.

And the thing is, that I'm not pissed off because 1836 won't be the name. Well, I am because I really liked it, but that's not the main reason. The main reason is because the FO effed up so damn badly it's ridiculous. Presumably, they researched the effect the name would have and decided that the plusses out-weighed the minuses and went with it.

Then one of two things happened:

1) they got more flack then they thought they would get in their research and decided to change the name.

2) they never had any intention of keeping the name and used this as an opportunity to get some PR under the "any attention is good attention mantra"

Either way, they screwed up royally in my opinion and I am sorely disappointed in the "leadership" of Houston ???.

4. BB020

BB020 New Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Houston
    I'm really pissed about it, but I'll still support the team. However, I may not buy any gear now.
    I think we need to have some 1836 flags and banners made up to take to every game. The supporters section of the field should be filled with reminders of the real name of the team.
    I'm going to be even more pissed if they get rid of the orange!

5. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop
    Dead on. I dont care what they call the supporters group now, Im 1836.
    Orange and Black. If they wanted to make me passionate about the game and the team, they found a hell of a way to do it.

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I'm mad as hell, I've cancelled my season tickets. Money talks for these people and that's probably the only way to get through to them.

7. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I respect that but I seriously think you should have given it a week and then see how you feel.

I'm beyond pissed right now but I'm not sure cutting off your nose to spite your face is the right way to go about this situation.

On the bright side, I've got a pretty deep dislike for the front office. Anderson, you should be happy about that! :D

8. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I hold grudges very well. Like I said just saying you don't like it won't change their minds, losing money may.

9. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop
    ***1836 SECTION***My Lobby For The Supporters Section Name

TO EVERYONE: My lobby for the Supporters Club Name

They can call the supporters section anything they like now, Im 1836. If they wanted to create passion and drama they've done it. I will not go quietly. Im making my own large 1836 flag that I am going to wave proudly. If I have to stand in a section called 1836 and it's just me, Im fine. Thats my name, it's set in my heart forever and It will be my battle for as long as I support this club. I dont know what my supporters dues are for really, but I hope it goes to making 1836 the loudest, proudest, football supporters Kop in the country.

Let us PRAY they dont call us the LoneStars or the Mustangs.

10. tex0313

tex0313 Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    i vote for the supporters name to be 1836 now

11. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The supporters should be Houston 1836 for sure.

12. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Re: ***1836 SECTION***My Lobby For The Supporters Section Name

Glad you're not overreacting to a name that's been in existance for 3 weeks or anything . . .

13. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop

I havent overreacted to anything. I can state what I feel without being called reactionary. If you have been reading the HUNDREDS of posts over what happened today, Im hardly the only one that had a reaction to today's events. What do you have to contribute?

14. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is the Supporters Club section. Go back to the Fire boards.

15. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First bit of good news I've seen since I heard (I think the poor lady at that one red light was worried about my sanity, the way I was screaming at the radio on the way home... :( ).

Count me in. "1836" will be our name now for me as well.

Thanks, guys. I do feel a bit better. They still caved, but I will get over that in time, I think.

16. MathewsLAT

MathewsLAT New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston
    Well said forget the elections and call the group 1836!:mad:

17. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elections were done with Houston 1836 in mind. I'd say this changes everything. Feel free to suggest other names.

18. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

Don't insult us nobius. He's no Fire fan.

19. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good (?) morning, all.

First of all I will apologize right now for being so negative last night on these boards. That isn't normally like me. I guess being extremely P.O.-ed can do that to aguy, but I ain't proud of it.

"Cooler heads will prevail", I think, will be my theme for the moment. The first thing I thought about when I woke up this morning is that "1836" will never, ever work as a supporter's group name. Just like using some form of "Hooligan", it is now tainted.

(For an interesting slant on the word "taint", go see the the FCD boards for some suggestions they've been having on what to call our boys for the scrimmage this weekend. Warning - thick skin only! However, props to them for having the class not to come over onto our boards last night and really dig in over this renaming business.)

"Texian Army" might still be too close, but I will have to think about that for a while. "Clockwork Orange/Orange Machine" and "Bayou Brigade" are still good, though.

Once again, I'm truly sorry for my negativity. As some Quakes fans have been kind enough to point out, at least we still have the team here. Let's give our boys the support that they deserve.

20. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry about that. Saw the location but didn't see the Club name.

21. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1836 is not tainted in my opion. Some form of Texian 1836 or Republic 1836 would be great. It's what I want and what I will fight for in the supporters meetings. (argue)

I'm not going to let a few misguided people keep me from using it.

Texian 1836
    Republic 1836

also, if the name is lone star are they going to keep the colors? Or will they lamely revert to red white and blue...then clockwork orange won't work.

bford

22. BB020

BB020 New Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Houston
    I don't think the name is tainted either. I'm still in favor of using 1836.

I'm hoping they don't revert to red, white and blue. I've already sent an email to Luck this morning about that. The logo is already a lone star, and its orange and black. It should stay that way. Just put a different name in the center

23. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Clockwork Yellow.

24. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the troll who started that thread did come over here, over and over and over again, to post offensive crap. We politely asked him by PM to stop and quickly kicked his stuff out, which is why he has some choice terms for me personally over there. Oh well, that's life in the big city. ;)

25. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I'd like to take this time to thank you and yanks02 for keeping things clean during this.