Supporter's Group Name--The Runoff

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by Dre00, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, we still don't have a name but we have narrowed down the choices. The three that made it to the final phase are:

Bayou Brigade
    Clockwork Orange
    Texian Army

No voting here, this is just a lobbying thread. The next (and final) vote will take place at the next meeting...March 4th.

Discuss.

2. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    From an outsiders pov and a Tejano, rank by like to dislike:

1. Clockwork Orange
    2. Texian Army
    3. Bayou Brigade

I think CO is a bit more original than the others. I'm not too fond of military names in soccer, imho.

3. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a toss-up between "Clockwork Orange" and "Texian Army" for me. I like the first mainly due to its uniqueness in our league. But as someone else has already mentioned elsewhere, after listening to General Sam 'CeltTexan' last night, I really do like the second choice. "Texian Army" is also good for another reason, in that it can be shortened to just "Texians" and still make sense when referring to us as a group. ("Orange" might work for this, but "Clockworks"? Nah...)

4. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop
    Texian Army is good.
    I think the Riot Squad fromLA is the best because it creates its own fear.
    Others around the country may think our's a little tame or too much like Sam's Army. That is the feedback Ive been getting from others in my circle anyway.

Some others suggested: "TexasWreckingCrew" and
    "The Rebellion"

Just a thought. I know no one wants to start form scratch, but everyone should have an attachment to the name.. There was also someone saying we may not be predominantly orange so we may not make much sense under the name Clockwork Orange.

Is there anyway to get everyones opinion on this or discuss it further before we settle?

Your thoughts?

5. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The great thing about Texian Army - is that an army is huge. I want to fill up the whole north end of the stadium, with an army 5000 strong. Let's have some fun with the army terminology. Bring on your own brigade, platoon, names and t-shirts. 12 friends, 12 t-shirts, and you've got your own brigade.

This is our supporter's group. We can do whatever we want. We can do 20 different things or 200 under one banner of the Texian Army. Don't think for one second that I won't have at least a dozen people wearing these t-shirts on opening day:
    Front:
    - FuBoy's Brigade -
    Est. 1869
    War Texian Army!

Back:
    - FuBoy's Brigade -
    Where relegation is bad,
    but being on bottom
    is just as good
    as being on top.

Within the Texian Army, you should still have room for a Bayou Brigade. And you can still have a "C.O." (which generally stands for Commanding Officer) but could also be a reference the Clockwork Orange Brigade. Of course - we'll need a Drummers Brigade. Oh yeah, and we can still call the section the Raven's Nest - especially since it'll piss of the Eagle's Nest, and will be even better when we show them which nation's capital has the better futbol team. War Capital's Cup! Don't forget those that wanted to pay some homage to previous Houston sports heros with the 34th Volunteers Brigade.

How awesome would it be to have 20 different brigades of 100-200 people, each waving their own brigade flags and their own version of orange t-shirts, and to have those couple thousand people come together as an army and roll out a huge 100' "Come and Take It" flag across the north goal!

War Texian Army! Fuboy's Brigade reporting!

General Sam - put us on the front line - we're ready to go to battle!

6. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop
    Alright Fu...thats a hell of an argument. Im on board:D

7. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You definitely get rep for that! Brilliant post!

8. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aw, $hit, Fu - there you go, mixing logic with footy. Shame on you! :D

I like that idea a lot. Different brigade/company/squad names, yet still under one banner - the Texian Army.

General Sam, do you have any knowledge of the military call-out protocols (other than "ten-shun!") as used by the armies of the world? I vaguely remember my boot camp days amd marching for the World's Greatest Navy, but don't get me to lying about those call-outs... Get you (or your adjutant) a megaphone, and we're set for precision and pageantry.

Orange camo fatigues, anyone?

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asking me about military terminology is like asking Tony Hawk about skating lingo!

10. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony who?

Yeah, I know... :D

11. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I wish Orange Machine had made the runoff instead of Clockwork Orange, still prefer that to Texian Army. I guess I'm influenced by the Riot Squad, which is deliberately a non-organization, no officers or dues. But I really don't have much use for military terminology or structure.

Also, I think "Texian" will be seen by a lot of people as a misprint. I certainly understood CeltTexan's impassioned argument, but are we going to have to repeat that explanation every time someone sees the banner?

12. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orange machine could end up being the team nickname maybe......Which I think would be great, but I don't like it so much for the supporters name...

I think I'll be going with Texian Army.....

bring on the crazy wildcatter orange and spacecity blue camo shirts...:D

rock
    bford

13. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I agree with this.

Also, people may not realize we are completly seperate from the team and will wonder why the team says the name is from the founding of the city but then have a group named after the rebel army.

14. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop
    Time for a meeting I guess. Not everyone agrees. Maybe Celt and Yanks can put something together.

15. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is why at the meeting I stood up and promoted Bayou Brigade at the meeting. It is obviously about the city of Houston and does not conjure up the Texas Revolution as Texian Army does yet still carries the spirit of us being ready for action. I saw Oliver Luck nod in agreement when I mentioned this at the meeting, so I know he likes the name. :)

16. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have similar concerns.

I also think we need to keep a healthy distance from officialdom - it's great that the FO will work with the supporters groups and seeks fans' views, but we should be clear that we're not an appendage of the FO.

17. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Texian Army or Clockwork Orange sound like they have anything to do with the FO. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that supporter's groups are fan based and ran by fans, and not the front office.

At the next meeting we'll be doing a final vote with everyone. Then it can be finally said and done.

18. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Wicked.

[​IMG]

Respect.

19. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop
    you wont catch me dead in that attire:D

20. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this from Ali G's movie? haha! I like the name Texian Army and the whole small groups with in. Cuz you know some folks will be a little too crazy for the family folks. Good thing I'm alittle of both. Fuboy..you got it going on dude... that mind you have has a good flow to it...here's some rep! :D

21. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This post was from another thread, but I think it makes a point that we should keep in mind here:

22. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Yes, that's them in their camo getting ready to break into somebody's house.

23. BB020

BB020 New Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Houston
    I was leaning heavily towards Clockwork Orange. But if the rumors are true that the team is going to change their name to pander to MFL fans, then I say we go with Texian Army or even better call the supports group 1836!

24. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beat me to it. If the rumors are true, then it's a no brainer in my book. That has to be the name.

25. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Agreed.