Supporters' Group Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by yanks02, Dec 16, 2005.

1. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Supporters Group meeting info -- Weds. 12/21 7:00 pm

GET A LIFE!

2. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, if they're the Frogs, then we'll just send some Aggies to gig 'em.

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anderson,

Where's Ms. Piggy and Animal when ya need 'em??? :)

4. Teutonic Fuhrer

Teutonic Fuhrer Red Card

Jun 1, 2005

Listen buddy! Mayve you are the one who needs a life, since you don't even have a team yet. As in name, colors and so on. I do have a team, and it will be America's best team ever, supported by the best fans world wide!

5. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Uh yeah cause it's his fault the team name hasn't been decided on.

Who is your team, by the way? You are such a big fan, yet you don't have them listed on your profile.

6. Teutonic Fuhrer

Teutonic Fuhrer Red Card

Jun 1, 2005

unlike most of you, i only have one favorite team, which im involved with. The San Jose Frogs! America's best team!

7. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Houston MLS supporters (for those stuck at home).

I was at the game with another Houston Supporter - but haven't checked bigsoccer in a while, so didn't realize there was a meeting. We're more than willing to be big participants/organizers of anything going on that has to do with supporting soccer in Houston.

I've also got about 10 years experience building web sites, but I'm in the middle of moving, so may be a few more days before I can get started on putting anything together.

I'll definitely be sending out some information and trying to organize some contacts for some upcoming supporter events (think food and beer) - so that we can meet and greet and get a bit more organized.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Be gentle on him guys, he just lost his team to...well you.

Congrats on the forming of a Supporters Club. We went thru it for RSL's clubs last year. I agree with basically what gocaps told you, Yanks02. Just remember you need to be flexible and have good communication lines with all members.

Good luck to you.

9. drew622

drew622 Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We should meet at the Richmond Arms.....great football, I mean soccer pub.

Great deck to sit outside and kids are welcomed until 9:00 pm.

I catch all the Man Utd pay-per-view games there. :D

10. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Richmond Arms is a great suggestion. I was also thinking Brian O Neills, which has catered to us many times in the past and is a great place as well.

11. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, but it was his choice to come here and start something. You pick your battles and all that.

Probably the most important piece of advice on the subject.

12. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I haven't been to a pub that has better food that the Arms. Banger's and Mash with Murphy's Irish Stout, aaaahhh, that's it, now I have to go.

Saturday Jan 7th - 7pm - Richmond Arms. Who can make it?

For the future, I agree http://www.brianoneills.com/ is good too, and we should also try events at http://www.bigjohnsbar.com/ and http://www.ronspub.com/ as they have both been big soccer supporters. We had a blast eating breakfast and watching the world cup at Big Johns - how many bars were open at 6am in Houston to let in soccer fans?

13. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Discussion threads merged.

When we have date/time/place finalized for the meeting, we can sticky that information.

14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As the brothas say....."we gots to come together on this!"

Brian O'Neills is central and not to far from our new home ground. That is where I met Yanks02 when a group got together to watch USA-el Tri back in March.

I know the Celtic Supporters Club pretty well and they usally have their place on lockdown on Sat. Yet at the same time Team Houston would/should kickoff later that night on Sat. so it could be a great atmosphere all day on Sat at their new Bulls and Bears Pub IIRC?

We should shot for Sat. Jan 14th at one of the two bars listed above. I also offer Fox Sports Grill as an option. I would like to know their position on the beautiful game however before we drop some coin there. There is also the Hooters on Gessner and Westheimer just a Bagwell homerun off the BeltWay. Very centrally located...all things considered.

15. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kick-off...

Given how far Houston spreads out in all directions, it's unlikely that any one place would prove ideal for everyone. I suspect that over time we may see different sub-groups of Houston supporters decide to meet in different parts of town.

For now, we need to just pick a spot and time and go from there.

We've had both Jan. 7 and Jan. 14 suggested. Is there a reason why one would be better than the other?

Yanks02 has some great info that she picked up at the Glenn Davis event in Bellaire, so it would probably be wise to wait to hear from her before we finalize the date and time.

16. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ultimately, it doesn't really matter where we meet, just as long as we meet. I'd rather start a tradition of meeting at a dedicated soccer pub at the first meeting but it's not mandatory I suppose. Eventually, however, we need to meet at a place that caters to soccer lovers.

Fox Sports Grill supports soccer in that they have the occasional soccer game replay on FSC when none of the major sports are on. I would call them the anti-soccer pub in that they 1) are overpriced 2) way too fancy and 3) don't really ever have any soccer games on. Other than that, they're perfect ;) .

If we can start the first meeting at a place like Richmond Arm's (I say there because I've actually been there so I can vouch for it) or some other place that is specifically a soccer bar, I think it would be ideal. Brian O'neil's doesn't really qualify in my opinion. Heck, I had to ask them to change the channel to watch the WC Draw on my lunch break and even then I didn't get sound with it. If we're choosing weekends, I say Jan 7th because the sooner the better. That said, whatever weekend gets the most of our limited numbers to show up should be the weekend we should use.

...and we should definitely wait for yanks02 to chime in. Probably the most informed of any of us at this point.

17. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Another advantage to meeting a soccer friendly bar, and doing it consistently, is that you might be able to get them to sponsor your group's Tshirts, or other activities for that matter. The Inferno's tshirts are paid for by Trinity Hall, an Irish pub in Dallas that shows soccer regularly. In exchange they put their name and logo on the back of the shirt. This last season was the first time we did that and it was nice having that segment of our dues go to more productive uses. Something to think about.

18. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    The 14th would be better for me, but I should be able to go to either one. And the location doesn't matter to me, of the places mentioned the only one I've been to is Richmond Arms and I liked it there but can't compare it to the others.

19. drew622

drew622 Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either date will work for me......I prfer the Arms.

I'll be there tomorrow at 9:00 am for the Man U match!

20. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Jan 7 at Richmond Arms sounds fine to me. I've only been there back in 2002 for the World Cup game, but I think it's a great place to meet.

Is everyone agreed?

21. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jan 7th at Richmond Arms seems to be good for many.

Last thing...what time? Afternoon better for most or evening? If the decision were up to me, I'd say about 2 or so might work best. Late enough to get away from the early AM PPV crowd, early enough to avoid the Saturday night crowd. Fortunately, its not up to me so everyone chime in with their thoughts. I'm up for anything before say...8 PM.

22. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7:00 pm

Looks like 7:00 pm.

yanks02 stickied the meeting information here.

You may be right about the Sat night crowd - that'll certainly be the case at Brian O'Neill's and probably some other spots. We can think about some other times and places, but we'll probably be ok for the kick-off meeting.

23. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 7:00 pm

One peice of advice -

if you really want to have a "meeting" to discuss details and make plans - make sure you can hear each other over the ambient sound / noise where you are meeting.

24. Teutonic Fuhrer

Teutonic Fuhrer Red Card

Jun 1, 2005
    It's easy for you guys to come up with a supporter group. There will be about 40-50 fans in your whole stadium anyways. Your NoName team will fold in max. 2 years. You don't have an investor, a stadium, a fanbase, nothing. When your team will fold, my team, the San Jose Frogs will be officially admited in the MLS, and the San Jose Earthquakes will be moved to San Louis or so.

25. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for your opinion, but I'll kindly ask you to quit trolling our forum with your San Jose Frog team.

And it's St. Louis.