Supporters' Group Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by yanks02, Dec 16, 2005.

1. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone (I can't for the life of me remember who) brought up that we could do a meeting of the supporters group the Glenn Davis Soccer Tournament thing Wed night @ 7 (see the thread about the event for more information) to get kind of a provisional group going. With the holidays coming up these next 2 weeks, it's going to be next to impossible to get everyone together right now.

I say we have a group meet at the soccer tourney Wed and then plan to meet somewhere maybe the week after New Year's. Everyone is concentrating on vacations, shopping, and family time, so let's give it the holidays and then we can get the ball rolling.

At the soccer tourney, we can sign people up and collect emails and phone numbers and info and then we'll keep posting on Big Soccer about a more generalized meeting place/time. If you can't be at the Glenn Davis event, don't worry. This will just kind of get everything started.

Does this sound agreeable to everyone?

Here's the aforementioned thread about the All Star Game: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272949

ETA: Let's make this thread more about information, and use the other thread for discussion, general well wishes, etc. That way, people don't have to scroll for information.

2. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Supporters Group meeting info

We need a mod to sticky this thread.

3. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah I was thinking that as well. We actually need mods in here period, don't we?

4. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mods help. That way we won't have too many threads like:

Welcome to the league A*******

5. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Heh! Indeed. I'm guesssing BigSoccer will set us up with some in the near future. Help chuck out all the trolls.

6. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's part of the baptism by fire for all new teams. Just go read through any and all of the RSL threads for the first three or four months after the team was announced! You'll get mods eventually but it took quite a while for the RSL forum.

Good luck at your meeting!

7. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess we'll have to stick this the old fashioned way (by bumping it up every so often).

I know there must be a few ppl interested. Let's get the posts going.

8. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

I'll try to make it but it's not likely that I will.

9. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Have you tried emailing Huss or one of the supermods? You know, explaining how you MUST change your name - as ck inferno makes it obvious you are a traitor to both teams! :eek: - and that, BTW, you also would like to be the mod for the houston forum....

:)

Houston..hutson...huts...houstunk...hmmm, still trying to figure out a nickname to call you guys.

10. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Allright, I whipped up a little sign up sheet for people to fill out. Because I am anal like that and like databases. :p

11. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll ask for a name change when I find out Houston's team name.

As for being a traitor to two teams, I'm not sure of the other team besides FC Dallas. Maybe San Jose as well?? Sorry about switching allegiances, but I'm going to have to support the team closest to where I live (Houston). Dallas was the closest, but no more. It will be hard to root against O'Brien and EJ though.

Not really up for that. Many more people here deserve it more than me. Also, they would probably be better qualified and do a better job than me. yanks02, truthandlife, and anderson come to mind for that job.

Do you best b/c I assure you the Houston supporters will think of some great names for Dallas as well. I look forward to the first Darby.

12. MathewsLAT

MathewsLAT New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston

If any one has seen I have placed a thread that talks about Big Johns bar and meeting there. I really like the idea of meeting at the Glen Davis Game. Lets just make it simple and make it a sign up night and have the first formal meeting after the holidays.

13. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Okay, so the game is at 7:30. Do we want to try and meet at 7? Maybe in the bleachers? Does anyone know anything about this complex? I'm guessing the bleachers won't be too big, as it's at a middle school complex, and we should be able to find each other pretty easily? I think that would be easier than meeting in the parking lot, as it says that parking is limited, so we will probably all be parking in totally different spots. I'll probably try and make up a little poster saying 'Houston MLS supporters' or something to make ourselves more noticable.

Is this good for everyone?

Also, from the other thread, here's a quicker link to the map and directions to this place: http://bellairesoccerclub.org/dec21game map_and_directions.htm

14. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow thanks for that. I wouldn't mind, having nothing else productive to do than spend all my time on the internet anyway. But I'm sure they'll get some people in here soon. I can't wait until we get a little tag and everything like the other teams have.

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good luck, gang.

16. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I will be out of town on that Wednesday (working in Temple) - can I PM my contact info to someone directly?

This is going to be great... :D

17. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's a great idea. I'm going to try and make it Wednesday but I work till anywhere between 6 and 7 so it's going to be touch and go. PMing contact info might be really helpful for me.

18. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Okay I emailed Glenn Davis to see if he knew the complex and could suggest for us a place to meet. He said the actual soccer fields didn't have bleachers, so he suggested meeting in an open area that is 2 baseball fields adjacent to the soccer field. He says there is a small group of bleachers behind one of the backstops. So I say, let's meet there at 7. If you can't make it right at 7, then I'm sure you'll see us around the event sometime. I'll have my Quakes gear on (since I can't retire it yet until I get the new team gear), and I'm sure you'll see us hanging out during the game.

If anyone can't go and wants to PM me their info, they can go right on ahead. I'll fill it out on the sign up sheet.

And again, don't worry if you can't attend the game Wednesday. We'll come up with another meeting time after the holidays that will be announced here on Big Soccer.

I sincerely hope I'm not stepping on any toes here. I just wanted to get some things started.

19. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Step by all means. Someone needs to take a lead role. It will be a game time decision as to whether or not I can make it. If I can't I'll PM you Wednesday night or Thursday my info.

Looking forward to it.

20. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas

We will need an actual meeting to get this established as well as a web presence. When MLS was founded, it was primarily the web where we could get together and organized. People have busy schedules and it is near impossible to get a collective group together. We need a web presence immediately and I think that after the Wednesday meeting happens, we need to get that started.

21. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Supporters Group meeting info -- Weds. 12/21 7:00 pm

Stickied and edited title to add date and time.

22. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134

Guys, I'm in town with my girlfriend, visiting her family for Christmas. I'll try and stop by and give you some perspective on what makes things work in DC and some Screaming Eagles history.

Putting a successful group together is a lot of work, but you can be of enormous benefit to the team if you work together (which, sadly, doesn't always happen with fan groups in MLS).

23. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas

Since the meeting is today, can we post a quick roll call to see who is planning on making it. Also can someone step up and be the temporary "taker of the minutes" and keep everyone here who couldn't make it informed as to ideas, suggestions, and movements?

I for one can't make it....

24. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll of course be there. And was already planning on posting a thread here about what we discussed afterwards.

Gocaps, that would be awesome if you could make it out! We'd appreciate it.

Who else is coming?

25. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll swing by, but probably at/after 7:30pm. I guess I'll just have to shout out "Houston Supporters Club" randomly as I walk around. If you see a skinny guy in a gray fleece vest jacket walking around...that is me.