Support Veterans

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by SMASHmoloch, Nov 12, 2004.

1. SMASHmoloch

SMASHmoloch New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    This is a little late, since Veterans Day was yesterday but I went to see Michael Hoffman IVAW and Frank Corcoran (VVAW, Vets For Peace) speak and it shed a little light on the plight of soldiers for this country.

No matter who you are, left, right, moderate, radical what have you, it is a tragedy the way veterans are treated. I have a cousin who is a veteran of this war and it's been incredibly important for her to have counseling and other veterans support groups. We may disagree about politics, but at the end of the day, soldiers (physically injured or otherwise) have to readjust and depend on the benefits they earned to transition back to society.

But the sick thing is, that successive administrations since the 1980s have continued to cut back on VA benefits, despite many politicians using them for political purposes (either in campaigns, at the state of the Union, etc).

Two groups, I've worked with and have come to know are Iraqi Veterans Against the War (www.ivaw.org) and Veterans For Peace (www.vetsforpeace.org). Both of these organizations fight for better VA benefits, help vets in returning to the country, and organize against the war/occupation in Iraq. If you're against the war i encourage you to support them in your community.

Of course, veterans themselves are split on the war, like everyone else in this country, so if there are other Veterans groups who are helping vets, people should post them.

2. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    Pffft. You should know better than to expect any responses on a board that has 95% Democrats on it--when it comes to giving to charity. And giving to a military cause is like giving whisky to the devil in the libs' worldview.

3. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good god. You really have earned your red nipples, haven't you.

As far as I'm concerned our armed forces are underpaid and our veterans are underserved. It's hard to imagine a group of people more deserving of our tax dollars than our fighting men and women who are willing to sacrifice all to protect our country and our freedoms.

For god's sake - it's not their fault when their lives are wasted in irresponsible wars. That fault lies entirely within their chain of command. Starting with their Commander in Chief.

God help them.