Support local soccer (SMU v. Cal)

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by SoftTackle, Nov 20, 2004.

1. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I went to a soccer match and it turned into a swim meet. If you didn't go because of the threat of rain, you made the right decision. From about halftime on it was raining. At one point so hard the match was suspended for a few minutes. At the end it was little more than who could keep their footing in gigantic puddles of water all over the pitch.

Fortunately for SMU they scored early on and got a strong performance from the goalkeeper, who almost slid into his goal with the ball at one point.

SMU 1-0 Cal

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My personal annual Charlie Brown / Lucy and the football moment. I should have learned that no matter how nice it seems before I make the trek, it is SMU and playoffs and the weather will be nasty. Some pretty hilarious moments near the end, though. Players were able to slide 15-20 feet giving a new dimension to slide tackles. A lot of wipeouts and wiffs. Pretty ugly soccer. I have no idea who on either team was good although the keeper is good in wet conditions.

3. ihearttheburn

ihearttheburn New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Denton/Plano, Texas
    Soccer and rain... quite the combo. LOL Amy & I braved out the rain and by the end of the 2nd half we were ringing out the sleeves of our shirts. Didn't get there in time to catch the first goal but from what we saw it was pretty decent. There were some close calls there towards the end of the game but the SMU GK made some good saves. The rain seemed to work to his advantage.

Impressive acrobatics once the rain picked up... many elongated slide tackles. It was pretty amusing. All in all a fun night.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope her dad warmed up. He looked truly miserable.

5. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mudpoet and I were there as well; in order to get our fix. How many subs in an NCAA game? It was fun, but at an event such as this one, you truly were to observe or hear how much The INFERNO adds to the atmosphere at a soccer match. There were a few dull moments where you could hear cell phone conversations several rows over. I was impressed by the speed of one Kellan Zindel (#2 in your program); though, he needs to work on size he showed great gumption and desire.

6. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Open Subs.

7. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to this game reminds me of how much I hate having a track between us and the field. It really affects the atmosphere.
    Can't wait until Frisco comes online!

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The track may affect it some but being in University Park affects it most. The Inferno actually tried to do chants and stuff at a SMU game once but was met with so many hateful stares we gave it up and haven't tried it again.

9. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    smu is going to be playing tulsa on saturday night at 730 if anyone is interested in going, I know I am

10. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
  11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm only going if horrible conditions will exist. I'm all for tradition ;-)

12. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas

well its like they say, if you dont like the weather in texas just wait a few minutes

13. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll be watchign Notre Dame on the tube.

14. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    I must say this is the one time a year that I will root for Notre Dame

15. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I'm hoping they can get a bowl invite to one in Texas(Alamo will work). I'm also hoping the oakies lose int eh Big 12 title game. :D

16. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be at the SMU game.

keep en eye on Ryan Pore
    probable P40
    in 04....MAC Hermann Trophy Semi-Finalist, All-MVC first team, MVC Player of the Year. MVC All-Tournament team,

17. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SMU just dropped out with a 2-1 overtime loss to Tulsa.

18. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Looks like another underachieving season for the Mustangs. It's pretty amazing with all the soccer talent in Texas that they can't go further in the tournament. It's also amazing that the Burn almost hired their coach last year, thankfully he turned it down.

19. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Hard to beat a team three times in a season, and it wasn't like SMU was beaten off the pitch. They were felled by two inconsequential handballs. And the Texas talent is a bit deceiving since much of it is from the Dallas area, so you are battling against kids wanting to go away to school. Therefore, they lose some of the best players to the ACC.

20. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but at the same time, I think it is plain to see that SMU (i.e., the coach) can't seem to find a way to win in the post season. I don't follow the team enough to know the tactics, but the pattern is sure there. How many times has SMU been ranked in the top ten in the US and not made it past the third round?

The next question is why.

21. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Maybe he is the problem in regards to the elusive national championship, but Hyndman is running the _only_ successful program on the Hilltop. Not to mention that the soccer program might have been yet another Title IX casualty without him. It'll take more than losing a round earlier than the seed before I jump into the great unknown with a new coach.

22. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas