SuperLiga 2008 teams?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by SideshowBob, Dec 15, 2007.

1. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not accurate, but the wikipedia site on SuperLiga indicates that Atlante, UNAM Pumas, Chivas, and Santos Laguna are going to be the Mexican reps. And that the games will be played in Mexico. There is no source, but has anyone seen anything?

2. Michigan Bayern Fan

Michigan Bayern Fan New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Melvindale, Michigan
    I think it might be Atlante, Pumas, and the two Clausura '08 finalists. I have no official source for this information but this seems to be the pattern that FMF has followed for other continental competitions.

On a side note, does anyone know why Mexico has two seasons in one year? With year-round warm weather, why don't they just run a Euro-like season from August until the following May? It seems a bit presumptuous to crown a champion after just 17 games played.

3. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of countries do that. Argentina, Guatemala, Mexico, Honduras, and El Salvador I know for sure. I think Chile does too. Probably a few more in Latin America do as well. I hear its for the money. More revenue from two playoffs and champions a year. Mexico used to play the Euro season but changed in the 90s.

Atlante, Pumas, Chivas, and Santos were the four semi-finalist for Apertura 2007, the most recent half season that ended a week or two ago.

4. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Clausura season won't end until late May and, last year, SUM announced the participants way earlier than that -- the details of the 2007 competition, including the involved teams and schedules, was announced on 1/13/07.

Now, it doesn't necessarily have to be decided at the same time, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the teams named well in advance of the end of the Clausura 2008 season.

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I call B.S. and I don't mean bigsoccer. A few weeks back the the Mexican federation said the Mexican teams would be picked by invite and I don't see Tuca Ferretti accepting the invite.

6. Michigan Bayern Fan

Michigan Bayern Fan New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Melvindale, Michigan
    All of the news releases since last January have specifically indicated that future editions of Superliga will require competitive qualification, so I anticipate that both MLS and FMF will send their top four teams. Mexico's split seasons might cause a delay in announcing their candidates but I doubt that either league will send mid or lower table clubs to the competition. Hopefully there will not be a conflict between Superliga and the Concacaf Champions League and both competitions will receive the most worthy clubs from both nations.

7. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The FMF already said teams will be invited and whoever accepts will go. Im sure Chivas and America might come, but other than that who knows.

8. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In reality it isn't 2 seasons, it's a single season divided in 2, by the way Mexico, like Argentina follow the european schedule for the season, in Argentina doing that is somewhat a problem because the majority of South America follows a February/March to November/December season, and usually it messes up with the qualifying schedule for the Libertadores, in South America except Brazil all the countries have Aperture(Overture, the season starts) and Clausura(Clousure, the season finishes, promotions and relegations are decided at the end of the Clausura), in South America i think Chile and Colombia are the only ones that use play-offs, and Uruguay is the only one that has a "season championship" between the winners of the Apertura and the Clausura. In Argentina it's believed that we may go back to have a single long tournament for 2008/09 since right now only the first division has Apertura/Clausura, so it's believed the 1st division is bound to change sooner or later.

9. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    The thing I found interesting about that Wikipedia entry is that it says the tournament will be held exclusively in Mexico. That would be very interesting, but I don't believe it since there are no sources for this information listed there. I remember reading an article a few months ago that stated that next year's SuperLiga has to be in the United States due to an agreement with SUM.

10. wmsoccer

wmsoccer New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Steger, Il
    I would like to see Superliga have more solid qualification criteria than they currently do.. I believe after CONCACAF get the Champions League up, then the Superliga qualifications will be more set. I just hop it's not the same teams in both competitions

11. IowaClone

IowaClone Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Kc, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching a majority of the games, I don't really care who plays as long as the games are as intense and good as this years. All, i can't htink about is that LA game where they led 4 to nothing and had to hold off the other team for a 6 - 5 win. It might not reflect how most games play out but was a ton of fun to watch.

12. RiverBurner1969

RiverBurner1969 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    the Superliga is still a young tourny. i can see this becoming a major event in a decade or two, given it is allowed to mature properly (home-away, reasonable qualifying and so on). i do hope that it remains FMF and MLS, to keep a good rivalry going

13. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine that Mexico would want it. In the States, the SuperLiga is big. FMF gets to market to the American audience. The stadiums are filled with MLS fans and expatriate Mexicans. It's a money-maker and a huge promotional tool.

In Mexico, the tournament would just be a little-noticed preseason thing with a bunch of gringo teams no one cares about.

Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia, the encyclopedia "by idiots, for idiots".

------RM

14. wmsoccer

wmsoccer New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Steger, Il
    I would have to agree with Lord Robin that it makes more sense for SuperLiga games to be held in the US. Increased exposure in the US is probably the biggest selling point of this tourny to Mexican clubs. However in a few years if the tourny continues and earns a reputation I could see having the finals in Mexico. The great thing about Superliga is that it is still finding its way.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How much will the winner get this time?