Superdraft VIP Seats

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jmeissen0, Dec 16, 2002.

1. JoBeck

JoBeck New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Wesschessduh
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love soccer, but I'm not going to line up for a good seat at the MLS Superdraft. That's when you know you're into it a little too much. I'll go to a game, but I'll read about the draft the next day.

2. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    You don't watch the NFL draft, do you? Dat sheet's a party.

3. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

i know of a few people that are intersted in going to this (speaking of fire fans)... i would have gone had they had the canada game there (we are both cold weather countries, c'mon!!)

as it is, i'm doubtful, although i have numerous places guarranteed to stay at for free :D

4. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    You should go, Jim. Heck, if I end up flying with the guy I went to Dallas with there'll be a spot in the plane, or in my car should I drive. The draft is the least of the fun. I plan on yelling profanely at Aime Jacquet, and there will be much beer and BBQ consumed. There's a big expo, the Canada game if we can get it on tv, and we're gonna try to arrange a snowbowl match or two with the KC fans.

Plus there's the matter of trades, new players, and such, the new fire jerseys and a couple other rumored announcements. Plus the big convention where any coach who's any coach goes to (college, pro, some overseas coaches and players) attend.

I'm telling you. Any one who's ever been to a bigleague draft knows it's a damn good time.

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    keep me informed... i have relatives and a college buddy out there, and there is a very good chance that we could lie to mr. brown and get him to drive us there (concert or something)

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going, but I'll pass on the BBQ. I don't understand people's attraction to that stuff. Barely edible IMHO.

I'm driving, probably through Iowa, so if anyone's on my way (Chicago through DeKalb, Quad Cities to Des Moines, Des Moines to KC), let me know. Always happy to share the price of gas with riders.

7. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the first ever draft in '96 at the Intercontinental Hotel on 48th Street in NYC. Just walked in, nobody really gave me trouble. The room was tiny, like you couldn't even hold a reasonably-sized wedding reception in it. I watched the second round, saw some TV cameras in the back interviewing McBride and Meola, ate a crudite or two, and was there when they announced the first-ever trade (Dayak for Knowles). There were zero other fans there.

I'm happy to see that the league thinks enough of itself and its fans to give them the opportunity to watch it happen now.

8. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    Wasn't that first trade Dayak for Rhett Harty?

9. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    yeah, that's the NFL.

The MLS draft is definately not at that "party" stage.

I agree with JoBeck

10. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just add beer - that makes it a party. And maybe some noise. And chicks too.

And boo heartily when Nick S gets up on stage.

If it were in Dallas I'd go - or at least I'd talk about going.

11. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    The last I remember they do sell alcohal at Bartle Hall (Kansas City Convention Center)

12. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you some sort of sick freak, or just never had any decent barbecue?

13. SoccerNutScott

SoccerNutScott New Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS

No doubt, whats up with that

14. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    It's got to be the former. Maybe he's a closet vegetarian.

15. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sick freak? Definitely.

Closet vegetarian...not so much.

For a while I ate a mainly vegetarian diet, but that was because I had no money, not because of some bizarre fondness for mammals domesticated solely because they taste good :)

I just can't stand that BBQed stuff. The sauce is repulsive in general, and not worth seeking out even when it isn't.

16. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    If you are talking about that commercial crap they sell in the stores, then yeah it is repulsive. If you are talking about an actual BBQ place then I don't know what to tell you than try, Smokestack, Zarda, or Gates.

I went up to Maine once and went to a resturaunt. The waiter walks up cheerfully and says that they have an extradorinary special that he had just eaten and was whole heartedly recommending it. It was flown in straight from Kansas City BBQ. I smiled politely and asked for the lobster.

17. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I got an email today saying they'd recieved over 250 requests for the 50 available seats, and they were still counting.

They're trying to get more VIP seats, but this may be a pretty big event considerering the environment it's gonna be in and the high potential for walkups.

18. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    True. It's a good time with food and adult beverage available. It's a good time when you can heckle opposing team's fans' for their mgmt's ineptitude (Jets/Giants). It's a good time when everyone is familiar with the players so reactions are immediate and strong.

I don't know that beer will be part of this year's convention (bring a flask I know they serve pop), plus isn't it in the morning? Other than a few Chicago fans will anyone else be there? I also doubt most of us have seen more than one or two of the first 10 picks in anything other than a highlite, if that.

I'll still be there, so we'll see what's on offer at Bartle.

19. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    It's in the afternoon (starts about 2 I think?) and we know at least 250 very interested people will be there plus media, team personnel and players.

Then there's the matter of everyone who's gonna be at the convention.