Superdraft Thread

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by ChrisE, Feb 3, 2004.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    But as you noted elsewhere, quite a few of these guys didn't even end up on a roster. I don't think too many were drafted for long-run potential, either, as many were (IIRC) on the older side.

On a somewhat related note, it seems that this year there's been pretty good interest from European clubs, which mostly affected this year's 2nd and 3rd rounders. Here's a list of recent draftees lost who opted out of going straight into MLS in order to play abroad.

[Quite probably, there are several errors and omissions; corrections are appreciated.]
    #22 Russell (LA) to Sognal, Norwegian top div
    #36 Lukin (Color.) to German 3rd Div (might've been cut before heading out)
    #40 Gibbs (LA) to St. Pauli, German 1st
    #45 Rahim (LA) to West Ham, Eng. Prem.

#14 Joseph (NE) to German 3rd Div (for one year)
    #20 Matteo (Colum.) to Italian Serie C1 (briefly, IIRC)
    #25 Glinton (LA) to England (briefly, never signed)
    #36 Selolwane (Chi.) to top division in Denmark

#35 Friend (Chi) to somewhere in Scandinavia

#15 Gregorio (Color.) to Europe, not yet signed
    #19 Pickens (Chi.) to Ireland(?)
    #23 White (NE) to Serbia (briefly, then France?)
    #26 Occean (NY) to Odd Grnland., top div in Norway (and Canada's national team)
    #46 David (NY) to Chaves, Portuguese 2nd (might've been cut before heading out)

3. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Well, actually, that's what I was referring to - I just did it really awkwardly.

Yeah, probably, I was basing that pretty much entirely on the P-40's selected in the 2nd round, but they're not really significant.

I expected as much. :) I remember reading this a while ago, and I think it raises an interesting question for evaluating drafts - what's more important, games (or minutes) played for the team that drafted them, or games played overall? The draft summaries are really cool.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think games played overall gives you some idea as to whether or not the guy can play at this level in a 10 (or 12) team league. The games played for the team that drafted them can be one way of showing how well teams identify guys who can play at that level, and how well they fit into that team's system.

I'd have to do the study again before the 2005 draft, and see what changes. Maybe see who has played the most games in MLS, but not for the team that originally drafted him.

Or, maybe the whole thing is no good at all, I don't know. But some of the numbers were kind of interesting, I thought.

5. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I think Pickens is on the CHI roster as a developmental player and is sitting on some ALeague teams bench.

6. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    (Virginia Beach)

7. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Wouldn't you know it? As soon as I go on record bashing the 2nd- and 3rd-rounders, they have by far their busiest week of the year.

Three debuts:
    Stammler for the MetroStars, Stephenson for the Wizards, Cann for the Rapids

Other appearances:
    Grabavoy, Wingert, Ara, and Wells

Also, fourth-rounder Denny Clanton went 90 in his first game for the Fire.

Thx S Wed, for the clarification on Pickens.

8. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I agree with your point, and I'm not sure I can offer a better solution. At the same time, I really dislike using games played as a metric for draft success. My reasons:
    1. It rewards teams for having holes in their line-up, where draftees slot straight in.
    2. It rewards teams that have lots of draft picks.
    3. (most important) The key to the draft isn't getting adequate players ... it's getting difference-makers. In looking for difference-makers, a team may take some gambles that lead it to have lower games played totals but higher productivity. We shouldn't punish those gambles.

The Matt Behnckes and Chris Roners of the world make quite a few appearances, but I'd suggest that their real value isn't far above zero. They're adequate, but adequate players can be found elsewhere. By contrast, guys like Shalrie Joseph and Damani Ralph give their respective teams a huge advantage. Arguably, the key to MLS success is locating players like them -- standouts who fit easily under the salary cap.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I agree there's a big difference between a guy who just gets in and takes up space and a guy who makes a difference. We don't have one all-encompassing metric like Approximate Value or something like that. But I think it's safe to assume that if a guy plays 100 games for you or something, he's (hopefully) been productive. At the lower levels of the scale, yeah, whether a guy was in for 10 games for 20 may not make a huge difference.

It was just a down-and-dirty way to separate teams that had gotten a lot of use out of the guys they drafted from teams that hadn't.

10. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Nearly finished with my first run through creating an organized, reference listing of all-time MLS transactions. I've created a table explaining the 1996 drafts and plan to keep going for every year. There are about 10 swaps of picks that I currently have unexplained though by guessing at about 5 seemingly unannounced trades I have a reasonable explanation for each. I'll appreciate help with those when I get to those years.

This'll probably look like crap since I'm not sure how to insert it here but it looks pretty good in Excel. I hope it's not too long to be a problem posting here. I can email Excel files to anyone with webspace.

I'll break into parts since it was rejected the first time.

11. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    ##################################################################################################################################### ####
    Player Name ID# date team Roster Status transaction method PREV/NEXT TEAM details source link ####
    ##################################################################################################################################### ####
    Feb 6, 1996 - Inaugural Rounds 1-8; Feb 7, 1996 - Inaugural Rounds 9-16; Mar 4, 1996 College Rounds 1-3, Supplemental Rounds 1-3 http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/history/archive.jsp?year=1996&content=superdraft ####
    1996 College Draft: ####
    Round 1: (picks 1-3 unnatural; 4-10 natural) ####
    McKeon, Matt R1P01Y96 KC (f DC) ####
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ####
    Lagerway, Garth I15P10Y96 2/6/96 DC SNR released trade KC Feb. 6: Garth Lagerwey and first-round college pick (first overall) traded to Kansas City Wiz for Jeff Causey DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Kansas City traded Jeff Causey to Washington for its%0Dfirst-round pick in the College Draft (No. 1) and Garth Lagerway.% ####
    R1P01Y96 becomes (McKeon, Matt) 2/6/96 DC pick released trade KC Feb. 6: Garth Lagerwey and first-round college pick (first overall) traded to Kansas City Wiz for Jeff Causey DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Kansas City traded Jeff Causey to Washington for its%0Dfirst-round pick in the College Draft (No. 1) and Garth Lagerway.% ####
    Causey, Jeff I5P06Y96 2/6/96 DC SNR acquired trade KC Feb. 6: Garth Lagerwey and first-round college pick (first overall) traded to Kansas City Wiz for Jeff Causey DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Kansas City traded Jeff Causey to Washington for its%0Dfirst-round pick in the College Draft (No. 1) and Garth Lagerway.% ####
    ********************************************************************************************************************************************************************** ####
    Pope, Eddie R1P02Y96 DC (f MET) ####
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ####
    S1P01Y96 becomes (Caricola, Nicola) 2/6/96 MET pick acquired trade DC Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    S2P01Y96 becomes (Juninho) 2/6/96 MET pick acquired trade DC Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    S3P01Y96 becomes (Tulio) 2/6/96 MET pick acquired trade DC Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    S2P02Y96 becomes (Hesse, Ken) 2/6/96 MET pick released trade DC Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    R1P02Y96 becoems (Pope, Eddie) 2/6/96 MET pick released trade DC Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    ********************************************************************************************************************************************************************** ####
    Pollard, Brandon R1P03Y96 DAL (SJ t MET) ####
    Dayak, Troy I2P09Y96 2/24/96 SJ SNR acquired trade MET Feb. 24, 1996: The Clash completes the first trade in MLS history, getting Troy Dayak from the MetroStars in exchange for Rhett Harty and the Clash's first-round selection in the MLS College Draft. SJ_TS http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/sje/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions ####
    Harty, Rhett I4P08Y96 2/24/96 SJ SNR released trade MET Feb. 24, 1996: The Clash completes the first trade in MLS history, getting Troy Dayak from the MetroStars in exchange for Rhett Harty and the Clash's first-round selection in the MLS College Draft. SJ_TS http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/sje/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions ####
    R1PSJY96toMET becomes R1P03Y96 (Pollard, Brandon) 2/24/96 SJ pick released trade MET Feb. 24, 1996: The Clash completes the first trade in MLS history, getting Troy Dayak from the MetroStars in exchange for Rhett Harty and the Clash's first-round selection in the MLS College Draft. SJ_TS http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/sje/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions ####
    S1P08Y96 becomes (Gori, Mario) 3/4/96 MET pick acquired trade DAL New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the College Draft acquired%0Dfrom San Jose (No. 3) to Dallas for its first-round pick in the%0DSupplemental Draft (No. 8). s-a http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=13447 ####
    R1PSJY96toMET becomes R1P03Y96 (Pollard, Brandon) 3/4/96 MET pick released trade DAL New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the College Draft acquired%0Dfrom San Jose (No. 3) to Dallas for its first-round pick in the%0DSupplemental Draft (No. 8). s-a http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=13447 ####
    Round 2: (picks 1,8 unnatural; 2-7, 9-10 naturral) ####
    Lamphear, Scott R2P01Y96 MET (f DC) ####
    Olson, Matt (Matthew) I13P10Y96 2/6/96 DC pick released trade MET Feb. 6: Matt Olson, second-round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and second round pick in college draft (11th overall) traded to MetroStars for first-round pick in supplemental draft (eighth overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the Supplemental%0DDraft acquired from Dallas (No. 8) to Washington for its second-round%0Dpick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 11), its second-round pick in the College%0DDraft (No. 11) and Matt Olson ####
    S2P02Y96 becomes (Hesse, Ken) 2/6/96 DC pick released trade MET Feb. 6: Matt Olson, second-round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and second round pick in college draft (11th overall) traded to MetroStars for first-round pick in supplemental draft (eighth overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the Supplemental%0DDraft acquired from Dallas (No. 8) to Washington for its second-round%0Dpick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 11), its second-round pick in the College%0DDraft (No. 11) and Matt Olson ####
    R2P01Y96 becomes (Lamphear, Scott) 2/6/96 DC pick released trade MET Feb. 6: Matt Olson, second-round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and second round pick in college draft (11th overall) traded to MetroStars for first-round pick in supplemental draft (eighth overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the Supplemental%0DDraft acquired from Dallas (No. 8) to Washington for its second-round%0Dpick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 11), its second-round pick in the College%0DDraft (No. 11) and Matt Olson ####
    S1P08Y96 becomes (Gori, Mario) 2/6/96 DC pick acquired trade MET Feb. 6: Matt Olson, second-round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and second round pick in college draft (11th overall) traded to MetroStars for first-round pick in supplemental draft (eighth overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the Supplemental%0DDraft acquired from Dallas (No. 8) to Washington for its second-round%0Dpick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 11), its second-round pick in the College%0DDraft (No. 11) and Matt Olson ####
    Ralston, Steve R2P08Y96 TB (f DAL) ####
    S2P04Y96 becomes (Vagner) 3/4/1996~ DAL pick acquired trade TB Dallas traded its second-rond pick in the College Draft (No. 18) to%0DTampa Bay for its second-round pick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 14) s-a http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=13447 ####
    R2P08Y96 becomes (Ralston, Steve) 3/4/1996~ DAL pick released trade TB Dallas traded its second-rond pick in the College Draft (No. 18) to%0DTampa Bay for its second-round pick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 14) s-a http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=13447 ####
    Round 3: (picks NONE unnatural; 1-10, natural) ####
    1996 Supplemental Draft: ***date ####
    Round 1: (picks 1,8 unnatural; 2-7, 10 natural) ####
    Caricola, Nicola S1P01Y96 MET (f DC) ####
    S1P01Y96 becomes (Caricola, Nicola) 2/6/96 DC pick released trade MET Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    S2P01Y96 becomes (Juninho) 2/6/96 DC pick released trade MET Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    S3P01Y96 becomes (Tulio) 2/6/96 DC pick released trade MET Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    S2P02Y96 becomes (Hesse, Ken) 2/6/96 DC pick acquired trade MET Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    R1P02Y96 becoems (Pope, Eddie) 2/6/96 DC pick acquired trade MET Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    Gori, Mario S1P08Y96 DC (f DAL t MET) ####
    R1P03Y96 becomes (Pollard, Brandon) 3/4/1996~ DAL pick acquired trade MET New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the College Draft acquired%0Dfrom San Jose (No. 3) to Dallas for its first-round pick in the%0DSupplemental Draft (No. 8). s-a http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=13447 ####
    S1P08Y96 becomes (Gori, Mario) 3/4/1996~ DAL pick released trade MET New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the College Draft acquired%0Dfrom San Jose (No. 3) to Dallas for its first-round pick in the%0DSupplemental Draft (No. 8). s-a http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=13447 ####
    Olson, Matt (Matthew) I13P10Y96 2/6/96 MET pick acquired trade DC Feb. 6: Matt Olson, second-round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and second round pick in college draft (11th overall) traded to MetroStars for first-round pick in supplemental draft (eighth overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the Supplemental%0DDraft acquired from Dallas (No. 8) to Washington for its second-round%0Dpick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 11), its second-round pick in the College%0DDraft (No. 11) and Matt Olson ####
    S2P02Y96 becomes (Hesse, Ken) 2/6/96 MET pick acquired trade DC Feb. 6: Matt Olson, second-round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and second round pick in college draft (11th overall) traded to MetroStars for first-round pick in supplemental draft (eighth overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the Supplemental%0DDraft acquired from Dallas (No. 8) to Washington for its second-round%0Dpick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 11), its second-round pick in the College%0DDraft (No. 11) and Matt Olson ####
    R2P01Y96 becomes (Lamphear, Scott) 2/6/96 MET pick acquired trade DC Feb. 6: Matt Olson, second-round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and second round pick in college draft (11th overall) traded to MetroStars for first-round pick in supplemental draft (eighth overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the Supplemental%0DDraft acquired from Dallas (No. 8) to Washington for its second-round%0Dpick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 11), its second-round pick in the College%0DDraft (No. 11) and Matt Olson ####
    S1P08Y96 becomes (Gori, Mario) 2/6/96 MET pick released trade DC Feb. 6: Matt Olson, second-round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and second round pick in college draft (11th overall) traded to MetroStars for first-round pick in supplemental draft (eighth overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the Supplemental%0DDraft acquired from Dallas (No. 8) to Washington for its second-round%0Dpick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 11), its second-round pick in the College%0DDraft (No. 11) and Matt Olson ####

12. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Round 2: (picks 1-4 unnatural; 5-10 natural) ####
    Juninho S2P01Y96 MET (f DC) ####
    S1P01Y96 becomes (Caricola, Nicola) 2/6/96 DC pick released trade MET Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    S2P01Y96 becomes (Juninho) 2/6/96 DC pick released trade MET Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    S3P01Y96 becomes (Tulio) 2/6/96 DC pick released trade MET Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    S2P02Y96 becomes (Hesse, Ken) 2/6/96 DC pick acquired trade MET Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    R1P02Y96 becoems (Pope, Eddie) 2/6/96 DC pick acquired trade MET Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    Hesse, Ken S2P02Y96 MET (f MET t DC) ####
    S1P01Y96 becomes (Caricola, Nicola) 2/6/96 MET pick acquired trade DC Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    S2P01Y96 becomes (Juninho) 2/6/96 MET pick acquired trade DC Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    S3P01Y96 becomes (Tulio) 2/6/96 MET pick acquired trade DC Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    S2P02Y96 becomes (Hesse, Ken) 2/6/96 MET pick released trade DC Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    R1P02Y96 becoems (Pope, Eddie) 2/6/96 MET pick released trade DC Feb. 6: Three picks in supplemental draft (1st, 11th and 21st overall) traded to MetroStars for second round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and first-round pick in college draft (second overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - Washington traded its first-round (No. 1) and third-round picks (No.%0D21) in the Supplemental Draft to New York/New Jersey for its first-round%0Dpick in the College Draft (No. 2). ####
    Olson, Matt (Matthew) I13P10Y96 2/6/96 DC pick released trade MET Feb. 6: Matt Olson, second-round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and second round pick in college draft (11th overall) traded to MetroStars for first-round pick in supplemental draft (eighth overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the Supplemental%0DDraft acquired from Dallas (No. 8) to Washington for its second-round%0Dpick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 11), its second-round pick in the College%0DDraft (No. 11) and Matt Olson ####
    S2P02Y96 becomes (Hesse, Ken) 2/6/96 DC pick released trade MET Feb. 6: Matt Olson, second-round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and second round pick in college draft (11th overall) traded to MetroStars for first-round pick in supplemental draft (eighth overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the Supplemental%0DDraft acquired from Dallas (No. 8) to Washington for its second-round%0Dpick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 11), its second-round pick in the College%0DDraft (No. 11) and Matt Olson ####
    R2P01Y96 becomes (Lamphear, Scott) 2/6/96 DC pick released trade MET Feb. 6: Matt Olson, second-round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and second round pick in college draft (11th overall) traded to MetroStars for first-round pick in supplemental draft (eighth overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the Supplemental%0DDraft acquired from Dallas (No. 8) to Washington for its second-round%0Dpick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 11), its second-round pick in the College%0DDraft (No. 11) and Matt Olson ####
    S1P08Y96 becomes (Gori, Mario) 2/6/96 DC pick acquired trade MET Feb. 6: Matt Olson, second-round pick in supplemental draft (12th overall) and second round pick in college draft (11th overall) traded to MetroStars for first-round pick in supplemental draft (eighth overall) DC_TS http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions EXP - New York/New Jersey traded its first-round pick in the Supplemental%0DDraft acquired from Dallas (No. 8) to Washington for its second-round%0Dpick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 11), its second-round pick in the College%0DDraft (No. 11) and Matt Olson ####
    Robles, Michael S2P03Y96 CLB (f SJ) ####
    Corrales, Ramiro I9P01Y96 3/4/96 SJ SNR acquired trade CLB March 4, 1996: Acquired D Ramiro Corrales from Columbus Crew in exchange for second-round selection in MLS supplemental draft. Acquired M Roberto Gonzales and D James Woolridge in supplemental draft. Acquired F Derick Brownell and M Eddie Lewis in MLS College Draft. SJ_TS http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/sje/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions ####
    S2PSJY96toCLB becomes S2P03Y96 (Robles, Michael) 3/4/96 SJ pick released trade CLB March 4, 1996: Acquired D Ramiro Corrales from Columbus Crew in exchange for second-round selection in MLS supplemental draft. Acquired M Roberto Gonzales and D James Woolridge in supplemental draft. Acquired F Derick Brownell and M Eddie Lewis in MLS College Draft. SJ_TS http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/sje/load.jsp?section=about&content=transactions ####
    Vagner S2P04Y96 DAL (f TB) ####
    S2P04Y96 becomes (Vagner) 3/4/1996~ TB pick released trade DAL Dallas traded its second-rond pick in the College Draft (No. 18) to%0DTampa Bay for its second-round pick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 14) s-a http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=13447 ####
    R2P08Y96 becomes (Ralston, Steve) 3/4/1996~ TB pick acquired trade DAL Dallas traded its second-rond pick in the College Draft (No. 18) to%0DTampa Bay for its second-round pick in the Supplemental Draft (No. 14) s-a http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=13447 ####
    Round 3: (picks 1unnatural; 2-10 natural) ####
    Tulio S3P01Y96 MET (f DC) ####
    1996 Inaugural MLS Draft ####
    No found documented trading of picks. ####
    Note: s-a breaks up the trade listed on dcunited.com into two smaller trades ####
    becomes: ####
    and: ####
    Following are "local option" selections (move to beginning of round (Inaugural Round 3 earliest, College Round 2 ealiest, Supplemental ?) - credit JG, no link found: ####
    Inaugural: ####
    Los Angeles, Jorge Salcedo, m, UCLA. ####
    New England, Bojan Vukovic, f, Franklin Pierce. ####
    Kansas City, Sean Bowers, d, Quincy. ####
    San Jose, Tim Martin, d, Fresno State. ####
    Washington D.C., Erik Imler, d, Virginia. ####
    Kansas City, Eric Eichmann, f, Clemson. ####
    Tampa Bay, Ivan McKinley, m, Boca Raton. ####
    San Jose, Rhett Harty, m, Stanford. ####
    New York-New Jersey, Jeff Zaun, d, Rutgers. ####
    Washington D.C., Richie Williams, m, Virginia. ####
    San Jose, Paul Holocher, m, Santa Clara. ####
    Dallas, Mark Dodd, gk, Duke. ####
    New York-New Jersey, Ted Gillen, m, Penn State. ####
    Los Angeles, Harut Karapetyan, f, none. ####
    Dallas, Richard Farrer, f, New Mexico. ####
    Dallas, Jimmy Glenn, f, Clemson. ####
    College: ####
    Kansas City, Gutierrez, Diego, M, Rockhurst ####
    Los Angeles, Vanney, Gregg, M, UCLA ####
    Tampa Bay, Ralston, Steve, M, FIU ####
    New England, Dos Santos, Paulo , M, Rhode Island ####
    Supplemental: ####
    NONE ####
    Players Signed to MLS before draf (***Incomplete)t: ####
    College: ####
    NONE FOUND ####
    Supplemental: (links deferred, several of these players missed the combine) ####
    Harrington, Pat S1P05Y96 ***Reported signed by10/17/1995, then some confusion about this being a false report. ####
    Vaudreuil, David S2P07Y96 by10/17/1995~ ####
    Ashton, Chad S2P08Y96 by10/17/1995~ ####
    Sharpe, Richard S2P09Y96 by10/17/1995~ ####
    Wright, Paul S3P05Y96 12/12/1995~ ####
    Ibsen, Zak S3P06Y96 by10/17/1995~ ####
    Inaugural: ####
    DEFERRED (***dates&links found for ~1/2 so far) ####

13. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    So it does look like crap. Any help inserting tables would be much appreciated.

14. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I can try attachments or code if I knew how/had rights. Thanks.

15. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Wow ... sounds intriguing. Instead of posting it here, maybe you could put it up on Kenn's web space? (If you follow that route, it'd be nice to post two copies of each file, one in .xl* format and the other in .csv format, for use outside of Excel.)

... and since I'm posting on the SuperDraft thread, I'll note that Doug Warren -- drafted #14 in 2003 -- was recently cut from DC. Remarkably, all of the first- and second-rounders from that draft had been in the league until then. Warren was also the only goalkeeper selected in those two rounds. When you get your data online, I'll be interested to see whether we can document a pattern of over-pricing top young goalkeepers.

16. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Sure. I have a big ~2 MB excel file with everything that I can break down into smaller files as things become more finalized. I already have this info in a csv file that will open in excel. I have a hotmail address using my nick without the #'s.

17. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Kenn - If you're willing to host some of my info, let me know. I think I'm on the verge of actually compiling some useful stuff. MLSNET has a dearth of news archives and doesn't seem to track transactions well. Some of the current roster listings (though mostly updated) still seem suspect.

Here I'll throw in all my current questions: I don't think Jewsbury is DEV anymore. Gilberto, Dorman, and Stephenson are likely "roster protected TI's" whatever that means. Nunez is roster protected. What status do Baumstark and Terris have? Some of the DISC listings seem suspect/murky/incomplete. When do players stop counting as DISC's. Some players are questinably SI vs GC. Do Oughton and Nelsen now have GC? Do promoted DEV's like Perkins not count as DISC's. Do loan players not count as DISC's (Perkins). MET don't announce transactions! - Addo - ?waived, LeBlanc - ?waived/left_squad, Nugent ?retired, ?was DEV early this season, ?Parke DEV then full roster or always senior roster, ?Stammler always DEV. OK - lock me up now.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always. Send it to s o c c e r i n f o @ k e n n . c o m

19. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Just a couple of things on swedcrip's questions ...

1. The Sports Network has a March 11 story saying that Jewsbury had signed a development deal. However, I'm pretty sure that he was promoted to the full roster before the start of the season.

2. I believe that Terris and Baumstark are under league-owned contracts. In the salary list leaked in January, Baumstark is labeled as "Pool."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/soccer/01/06/mls.salaries.sa/

3. Stammler was injured in pre-season before he had made any agreement. So it might be most accurate to say "unsigned then development."

20. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I'm in total agreement on points 1 and 2. Though they seem "unannounced" in that mlsnet lists Jewsbury as DEV and Stephenson as TI (not TI/DEV). Terris is serving the pool GK role, though I've seen nothing official (how did Peter Billmeyer join DAL - what method?, unless he is a pool GK too - maybe hardship exception/replacement player.

3. MET never announced siging Stammler so you are probably right. He was showing up on the rosteres but so did some others. Most teams though had signed their DEV's before the season started or had them removed from the roster (Brillant NE, ?Dorman NE). DEV's just don't seem to merit official announcements from teams, though I guess paying the press office for the announcement is close to their monthly salary.

I have a pretty good handle on how all these moves are made, just lack official sources for some of them.

My biggest question outstanding is about DISC labeling and when it goes away since each team is limited 4. Thanks.

21. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
  22. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I noticed that too. I guess Anrulis and others talking about 3 discoveries earlier this year were incorrect. By tracking how Colorado and I think MET trade for discovery slots this year I'm pretty sure it is limited to 2.

23. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Since the subject was brought up involving the thompson trade, I'll post a little about what I have on conditional draft picks here. Warning - still not cleaned up. I'll leave out the text from the press releases this that'll overwhelm the text limits (in Excel they neatly are hid in a little box).

I'll do it team-by-team, starting with Chicago.

RcondPCHIY04toSJ becomes R2P10Y04 (Ibrahim, Sumed) by1/15/2004 CHI pick retained fulfilled? SJ
    RcondPNEY04toNE becomes R3P8Y04 (Stephenson, Khari) by1/15/2004 CHI pick retained fulfilled? NE

Martinez, Rey Angel (Ángel) 6/11/04 CHI TI/DISC released trade COL
    RcondPCOLY05toCHI(6/11/2004-MartinezReyTrade) becomes (***) 6/11/04 CHI pick acquired trade COL

Nowak, Peter 1/3/03 CHI SNR/GC released trade NE
    RcondPNEY04toNE becomes R3P8Y04 (Stephenson, Khari) 1/3/03 CHI pick acquired trade NE

Williams, Andy (Andrew) 3/27/03 CHI SI acquired trade MET
    RcondPCHIY04toMET becomes (returned-6/25/2003-trade_for_Bartolomeu,Edgar) 3/27/03 CHI pick released trade MET

Bartolomeu, Edgar 6/25/03 CHI SI released trade MET
    RcondPCHIY04toMET becomes (returned-6/25/2003-trade_for_Bartolomeu,Edgar) 6/25/03 CHI pick acquired trade MET

Faria, Rodrigo R2P01Y01 8/20/03 CHI SI released trade SJ
    RcondPCHIY04toSJ becomes R2P10Y04 (Ibrahim, Sumed) 8/20/03 CHI pick acquired trade SJ

Korol, Aleksey R1P05Y00 1/15/02 CHI SI acquired trade DAL
    Saavedra, Miguel R6P07Y01P10 1/15/02 CHI p40 acquired trade DAL
    R6P08Y02 becomes (Krupnik, Leio) 1/15/02 CHI pick released trade DAL
    RcondPCHIYcond?toDAL (1/15/2002 trade) becomes guess R4P04Y03 (Tranchilla, Mike) - (note future condiration trades by 2002 draft day guessed cancelled may be a possibility) 1/15/02 CHI pick released trade DAL

Beasley, Jamar P1Y98 4/10/01 CHI SNR acquired trade NE
    RcondPCHI1Y02toNE (Beasley, Jamar trade 4/10/2001) becomes probably either R2P09Y02 (Fuller, Ian) or R5P09Y02 (Pass) - also Wynalda/Wolyniec trade 5/3/2001 for conditional pick 4/10/01 CHI pick released trade NE

Wynalda, Eric 5/31/01 CHI SNR acquired trade NE
    Wolyniec, John R1P07Y99 5/31/01 CHI SNR released trade NE
    RcondPNEY02toCHI becomes (???***?not_met_cond?) 5/31/01 CHI pick acquired trade NE
    RcondPCHI2Y02toNE becomes probably either R2P09Y02 (Fuller, Ian) or R5P09Y02 (Pass) - also Beasley, Jamar trade 4/10/2001 for conditional pick 5/31/01 CHI pick_or_fut_consid released trade NE

Okaroh, Francis 3/13/00 CHI SNR/naturalized/?SCU released trade MIA
    R2PMIAY01toCHI becomes R2P04Y01 (Ching, Brian) 3/13/00 CHI pick acquired trade MIA
    Rcond2PMIAY02toCHI (3/13/2000 Okaroh trade) becomes (retained***likely_condition_not_met?) 3/13/00 CHI pick acquired trade MIA

R1PSJY00toCHI(cond-CHI_record_better_than_SJ) becomes R1P04Y00P3 (Bocanegra, Carolos);condition met 6/29/99 CHI pick acquired trade
    S3PSJY00toCHI(cond-CHI_record_better_than_SJ) becomes R6P04Y00(converted_superdraft) Abukusumo, (Ubusuku);condition met 6/29/99 CHI pick acquired trade
    R1PCHIY00toSJ(cond-CHI_record_better_than_SJ) becomes R1P08Y00 (Mulraine, Travis);condition met 6/29/99 CHI pick released trade
    R2PSJY00toCHI(cond-SJ_record_better_than_CHI) becomes (retained_by_CHI-condition_not met;CHI drafted R3P08Y00 (Lavrinenko, Yuri)) 6/29/99 CHI pick released trade
    Tinsley, Ryan S1P07Y97 6/29/99 CHI SNR released trade
    ***note(If_SJ_had_better_1999_record_swap_1st_rnd_and_thirdSJ->CHI_would_cancel_instead_R2CHI->SJ)
    George, Sam S3P02Y97 8/2/99 CHI SNR acquired trade TB
    Dougherty, Paul 8/2/99 CHI SNR/?naturalized/?DISC acquired trade TB
    Rcond2PTBY2000or2001?toCHI (???8/2/99 trade of Kotschau,Lagos for George,Dougherty) becomes (probably) R2P08Y01(Robinson, Eddie (Edward)) 8/2/99 CHI pick acquired trade TB
    Lagos, Manuel (Manny) 8/2/99 CHI SNR/?DISC released trade TB
    Kotschau, Rich R1P02Y98 8/2/99 CHI SNR released trade TB

RcondPCHIY99toDAL becomes R2P12Y99 (Warham, Darren) (confirm020299release) 3/18/98 CHI pick released trade DAL
    Ibsen, Zak S3P06Y96 3/18/98 CHI SNR acquired trade DAL

I may be leaving some out. When this all gets more organized, I'll break down each year's draft. At that point it'll be easier to explain the conditional picks. Some teams I don't yet have all the boxes filled out but have place holders at the date of transaction. Can't post those for a while. Definitely have DC mostly done, probably half of the rest of the teams maybe.

24. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    If this right now is helpful, let me know. Otherwise I'll wait until I clean it up and figure out how to post Excel info better. The links and quotes from press releases are probably more helpful to complete this analysis. Right now posting all the teams would take some time, so I'll hold off unless I get further requests. If anyone wants info for a certain team I can try sending an email of what I have.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    swed, I just haven't figured out yet how best to present the files you sent me, and I haven't had time to get deeply into it. I will, though. Thanks.