Supercoppa Inter v Roma pre/post match [R]

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by c'e_solo_l'a.s.roma, Aug 25, 2006.

1. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that usually a yellow card?

2. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    I don't understand. Exactly, how is it possible to squander a 3-0 lead to lose 4-3?

Exactly how is that possible?

How disappointing....

3. Kenntak

Kenntak New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Florida
    What do you think of some of those penalties? It looks like Inter drew a lot of calls through some questionable falls. That kind of made the game unenjoyable.

4. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    slow down...

5. C'e' Solo l'Inter

C'e' Solo l'Inter New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Southwark.
    roma impressed the hell out of me in the first half. i hadnt heard alot about you guys this summer and then all of a sudden 3-0. the passing was amazing. 2nd was a completely different story. oh well, i look forward to the season starting.

6. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    There were a lot of questionable calls, I thought. Vieira's yellow was harsh and I also thought he shoulda been awarded a pk in the first half when Cufre grabbed him in the box. Several calls against Roma, too.

7. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Chill. It's not an important cup, they played very well in the first half and the season hasn't even begun yet. As a fan of Real Madrid one would think you'd be more sympathetic to one half of under-performing when Real Madrid has done it for years.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Actually, among Italian clubs circles anyway, its a pretty prestigious cup. I herd Spalletti speaking after the game and he was very disappointed. Now if its played at the end of the season, I'd think it would be worth a lot more.

Unfortunately, its played in the beginning of the season when players are still in their preseason warm ups. Only Totti & DeRossi were on the wc team. Inter seemed to have a WC all star group. Materazzi, Grosso, Vieira, Ibra,Figo, Cambiasso & Crespo are only around 50 days away from competing in the WC & they all looked like they never missed a beat from the finals. The Roma group looked shaky at the end. They didn't take advantage of their 3-1 lead and when I saw Crespo come in for Adriano, he turned it around. I don't know how Adriano played but WC veteran Hernan Crespo turned this match around. His header was spectacular. I think he will be a valubale addition to Inter not to mention Vieira & Ibra. If Inter doesn't win it this year outright, they never will!
    Don't get me wrong,I still want Roma to win but they need help. Hopefully, Totti will recover 100%! FORZA ROMA!

9. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I don't remember who won the Supercoppa two years ago.

10. c'e_solo_l'a.s.roma

c'e_solo_l'a.s.roma New Member

Jun 26, 2006
    Tokyo
    Would have been nice to win this - especially losing it in this manner.

Until I see a torrent of the match, I'll refrain almost all comment except...

When Inter can bring on subs of the quality of Crespo, and we can bring on Mido for Totti, err...transfer market?

Mercato? Sente, Sr. Sensi?

also, this is totally in keeping with us last year, and obviously - with almost the exact same line-up - we haven't learned anything (keep in mind we had no leads to defend in pre-season). If you are going to attack, then it has to be an all-out assault for 90 mins., with HIGH-QUALITY reserves to keep the pace up. Otherwise, learn how to defend a lead. Grossly unprofessional - this naive play cost us direct entry to the CL (handed it afterwards, I know).

Looks like Aquilani is ready to go - be very difficult to leave him out now. Hope we learn some stuff before the season really starts.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its true for those of us Italians living abroad , no one really cares about it. In Italy however, especially for the people living in Rome & Milan, its a pretty big deal. I'm in Florence right now and everyone seemed to be talking about the match. Right now its 3AM so its pretty dead outside. I'm sure in tomorrow's newspapers it will be all over the place. My cousins in a little town near Cosenza, Calabria said every Interista was out in the streets parading around with their Inter flags honking their horns. He said if it were Juve or Milan there would be a lot of celebrating going on. Another reason why it seems to not be taled about could be because there are 9 million Italians on their way back from their vacations.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For any of you interested , here are the winners of the Supercup at least since 1988. I am not sure if it was played before then.

Milan 3 - 1
    Sampdoria Giuseppe Meazza,
    Milano Rijkaard, Van Basten, Mannari
    Vialli

Inter 2 - 0
    Milano Cucchi, Aldo Serena

Napoli 5 - 1
    Juventus San Paolo,
    Napoli Careca (2), Silenzi (2), Crippa
    Baggio R.

Sampdoria 1 - 0
    Roma Luigi Ferraris,
    Genova Mancini

Milan 2 - 1
    Parma Giuseppe Meazza,
    Milano Van Basten, Massaro, Melli

Milan 1 - 0
    Torino RFK Stadium,
    Washington D.C. Simone

Milan 4 - 3
    pk's
    Milano Gullit, Mihajlovic

Juventus 1 - 0
    Parma Delle Alpi,
    Torino Vialli

Fiorentina 2 - 1
    Milan Giuseppe Meazza,
    Milano Batistuta (2), Savicevic

Juventus 3 - 0
    Vicenza Delle Alpi,
    Torino Inzaghi (2), Conte

Lazio 2 - 1
    Juventus Delle Alpi,
    Torino Nedved, Conceicao, Del Piero

Parma 2 - 1
    Milan Giuseppe Meazza,
    Milano Crespo, Boghossian, Guly

Lazio 4 - 3
    Inter Olimpico,
    Rome López (2), Mihajlovic, Stankovic
    Keane, Farinos, Vampeta

Roma 3 - 0
    Fiorentina Olimpico,
    Roma Candela, Montella, Totti

Juventus 2 - 1
    Parma 11 giugno,
    Tripoli Del Piero (2), Di Vaio

Juventus 6 - 4
    pk's
    Milan Giants Stadium,
    New York Pirlo, Trezeguet

Milan 3 - 0
    Lazio Giuseppe Meazza,
    Milano Shevchenko (3)

Inter 1 - 0
    OT
    Juventus Delle Alpi,
    Torino Veron

Inter 4 - 3
    OT
    Roma Giuseppe Meazza,
    Milano (pt) Mancini, Aquilani (2), Vieira, (st) Crespo, Vieira, (pts) Figo

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here is my best translation of this article in the GDS on Roma's loss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Supercoppa: Inter-Roma 4-3
    1st half was a nightmare for Mancini's team who went down by 3 goals(Mancini 13' Aquilani 25' & 34') in a little less than 30 min. At the 45'min Vieira cut the defict, then Crespo scored at the 20'th min & then again Vieira (29') & Figo in the 4'th min of the first OT.
    http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Primo_Piano/2006/08_Agosto/26/pressupercoppa.shtml

MILAN, 26 aug 2006 -
    Inter would have been here either way, before or after the calciopoli scandal as they were the winners of the Coppa Italia however, they would have faced Juventus. Then it happened. But the will of Inter to continue their string of victories between the table and the pitch, had already started last season exactly starting with Supercoppa italiana (a 1-0 win over Juve in Torino , with a goal by Veron), is evident. The contest was played with 5 World Champions (Materazzi, Grosso, Totti, Perrotta, De Rossi).
    "That this will be a tough season, is evident - said Mancini the night b4 the match. - everyone is waiting for us to be on top with Juve in Serie B & Milan penalized. We have to get used to winning real fast & its fundamental to take off on the right foot". On defense there is Zanetti in Maicon's spot, for the rest of the group, the rest of the nerazzurri in formation with Adriano-Ibrahimovic upfront & Vieira-Cambiasso in midfield. Cordoba was suspended, also on defense a free ride was given to the tandem of Materazzi-Samuel.

Inter found a competitive Roma, maybe a little sterile up front but certainly warlike, who came out with the same 4-2-3-1 formation, & exalts the insertions of the mids and didn't give any points of reference to the opponents defense. Newly acquired Pizzarro leaves space to Aquilani and doesn't even go to bench for bureaucratic reasons. Spalletti believes: "I'm at a certain age & still haven't won anything yet"- commented the Roma coach . "But I'm convinced that we are about to win a great game headed by Totti, who is about to have a great season."

14. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Whether this is a so-called pre-season match or the official kick-off to a new season, this is a brutal loss. You have to keep on keepin' on when you are leading like this (especially against teams that have the strikers that Inter has). I view Roma's fall from a clear challenge of Milan a few years ago for the scudetto to a merely average team (even if they win 15 in a row) starting in the CL game against Real Madrid. We were killing them and then decided to stack our own half with everyone, dumping the ball out and letting Real attack at will. We lost that game, which we should have one easily because we stopped doing what got us the lead. I didn't see this match against Inter but I can say that these are very tough on morale. You can't lose a game when you're up 3-0 at the half. You keep attacking but stay tight at the back. I can see a 3-1 or 3-2 victory with some Inter counterattacks leading to goals but to lose 4-3 is brutal and doesn't bode well in the race for the scudetto--comparing ourselves to Inter and Milan. Take care.

15. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    What the hell happened with Pizzaro? Why did he refuse to dress for this match? Is he too much of a chicken $hit to have to go up against his own club? I think Spalletti wasted his time and Sensi's money by going after this guy. As talented as he may be the fact that he showed so much reluctance to come to the giallarossi should be a clear cut indicator that this guy is not right for the moral of this squad! I would've been much happier had they invested that money in acquiring Esposito or Vucinic instead!

As for the match, although it was a real heart breaker it was still an entertaining event either way. Roma were definitely the better team in the first half but apparently they still have conditioning and discipline issues to address. The defense was really lousy today though (for both sides) and I'm really disappointed in Chivu's performance.

I applaud Aquilani's performance though! THis kid just keeps getting better and better as time goes by! :D

16. cipro

cipro Member

Oct 9, 2005
    PhuckHead
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Positives of this game for Roma :
    1. Aquilani showed what he can do.
    2. If Roma went on to win 3-0 Spalletti might not see any reason to bring any new players. You can make an argument that it was better for Roma to lose this game.

Do you guys know when the transfer market deadline is in Italy? I think in the other leagues it is Thurs. Aug 31.

17. romanista31

romanista31 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I see your points and yes it is August 31 unless something has changed because of the delayed start to the seaons which I really doubt though...all I know is that Roma still have big holes in their team that they need to fix by bringing in one more defender and one more striker...

18. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    For those of you that watched the match, did Roma just get tired on the second half, or did Inter really step up their game? Do you think this new "going all out attack" really hurt us in the end even though it clearly worked in the first half?

19. Kenntak

Kenntak New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Florida
    I only saw the second half, so I cannot compare the two. However, I did notice that Roma appeared a bit sluggish and played sloppily in the second half. They let Inter control the ball too much and did not clear the ball very well. When Roma had the ball, Inter played aggressively, stifiling any attack. Roma's players were not as agressive or intense on defense. However, I also think that Inter got some good calls in the game based upon questionable penalties that occurred near Roma's goal. That really hurt Roma.

20. # 10

# 10 New Member

Aug 7, 2006
    I would say it was a lack of focus more than attrition. Also, there were a couple of questionable (being generous) calls to say the least. The team has to learn the killer instinct when on top. We'll get there though. We played the strongest team in the league and managed to dominate the first half. thats a good sign.

21. MarkJC1018

MarkJC1018 Member

May 28, 2006
    Boston
    Does anyone have this game on VHS or DVD? I recorded all but the final 5 minutes, and was hoping to acquire a full copy of the game.

Please let me know! Willing to trade for it.

22. # 10

# 10 New Member

Aug 7, 2006
    PM me.