Post-match: SUPER SPECIAL ONE OFF EPISODE - CAMPEONES CUP FINAL CREW VS Red Triangles Wednesday Sept 29th 8:00pm

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Sep 24, 2021.

?

Result?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2021.
  1. Crew win in normal time

32.7%
  2. Crew win in added time/penalties

11.5%
  3. Cruz Azul wins in added time/penalties

1.9%
  4. Cruz Azul wins in normal time

51.9%
  5. Don't let me down boys! I've always believed in you! - Don G Arbor

1.9%
  6. 6 for 6 - Lucas contributes to 3 goals and Crew win 3-0 in normal time (Worth 10 points)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *corporate branding*

Hello Fans and viewers! Once again, the Caleb Porter Crew Soccer show has smashed records, increasing its audience to record levels! The hottest show of the summer has done it again! Now, to celebrate the unprecedented success, a special one off episode has been filmed. It is the most action packed, most important episode in the history of the show! A great way to end the summer's hottest and most award winning show!

*corporate branding*

In the middle of a heroic and potentially futile attempt to qualify for the season ending championship tournament, our lovable heroes must pause and represent not only themselves and the millions of citizens, but also their country and ironically, E.V.I.L. An agreement was made between the leaders of the two nations top leagues, that both champions would square off for ULTIMATE SUPREMACY. Our yellow clad Crew now face a foe that is their equal, if not better.

Champions of a better league, with injuries and a plague still affecting our heroes, can they muster the strength and claim glory for themselves and their citizens, or will they once again disappoint the Commissioner of E.V.I.L.?

CybrSlydr and chr1st repped this.
  2. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lose by two.

ZipSix, hardhead, Tobias C and 2 others repped this.
  3. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The level of disinterest in this game is just stunning.

Bill Archer and TRUJDUB repped this.
  5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are we gauging this level, exactly?

6. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says who?

7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fans of most teams in MLS only care about their own team and know nothing about everyone else. So, imagine the disinterest when we’re talking about a team from another league that probably only 0.01% of Crew fans watch.

How many people can name more than two players on Cruz Azul without looking it up? Who is the coach? How do they play?

On top of that, I’d be shocked if we play anything close to an A-team.

So, yeah, not a shocker that people don’t care.

hangthadj and TRUJDUB repped this.
  8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in case no one else has noticed, this match isn't next up on the schedule. We actually have a league match with league points at stake BEFORE we play Cruz Azul. Expecting people to look past Montreal and focus on that is a little odd.

9. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s a polarizing game. For some fans, it’s our only chance at a trophy this season, winning a trophy against a Mexican powerhouse would be monumental, and this game should be a sellout. For others, it’s a meaningless mid-season friendly that wouldn’t warrant a banner in the stadium any more than the Carolina Challenge Cup.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  10. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of games/tournaments in CONCACAF would be taken more seriously if they weren’t always played in the US by default. It’s seen as a shameless money-grab for a reason.

Also, until both league’s teams take these things seriously, for multiple years running (ie, not pulling a Vermees and literally playing a reserve team) then it is nothing more than a friendly.

Something that would help, MLS has to help educate Americans about Liga MX. Its sounds odd, but it’s a league that can basically only be watched in Spanish on Mexican channels (barring a couple games here and there). MLS fans are not watching MLS. Liga MX fans are not watching MLS. Its a problem.

I mean, Liag MX could take the bottom place team in Liga MX, put them on a plane to Columbus and have them wear Cruz Azul’s jerseys during the match, and about 1% of fans would notice.

I’m not going to get excited just because the league tells me to. And for the record, I DO like the idea of Campeones Cup. I AM that 1% who would care. But we all know Porter is gonna play a B-team and we’ll get smashed, because we have like a 5% chance to make the playoffs and then get wrecked by Orlando and NYC or someone like that, so for some reason that will be more important.

11. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put me in the latter group.

-yawn-

12. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Thread title needs changed, game is on Wednesday not Thursday

FootyRef repped this.
  13. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will come as a surprise to know one but I'm excited. Sure I can't name a single player of the Cruz Azul roster and I have know earthly idea what kid of soccer they play and honestly the only thing I know about them is that they wear blue & white but it's a chance to watch the Crew at home in an international competition with a chance to win a trophy.

It's a home Crew game, what's not to be excited about?

14. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The timing of the gm mostly. We don’t need tired players or injuries. Field the b team and let’s get 3pts at Philly

hardhead repped this.
  15. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch for Jonathan Rodriguez

LaMacchia repped this.
  16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wel, I don't know that Porter is going to send out the end of the bench. I can assume but I dont know.

And I'm not offended that this is just another money grab. Everybody needs money.

The only problem is that it's so meaningless. Somebody gets a trophy. Whoop de dee.

17. CBusAlex

CBusAlex Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All games are money grabs for the owners. All trophies are meaningless. It's a bunch of grown men kicking a ball around a field. Life has no purpose unless we invent one for ourselves.

ZipSix, TyphonInc, zman31 and 3 others repped this.
  18. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like you.

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 Kryptonite, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Traffic/parking alert:

For some reason, the Clippers are playing bonus games. One of them is Wednesday at 6:30pm. Yes, the season ended, they had playoffs and all that...but here come bonus games.

The good news is that it doesn't appear to be selling a whole lot of tickets.

Still, it may be wise to arrive early.

20. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Took me 10 minutes to figure this out. Apparently it's for experimenting, primarily pretacked balls.

21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CBJ pre-season game happening at the same time.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did not have playoffs in AAA.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2021/07/02/milb-playoffs-extended-season-on-tap/

Just a way to get players more games to make up for the missed season last year.

Kryptonite and crew2112 repped this.
  23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on if we are B teaming this one?

24. associa_tionfootball

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 10, 2019
    Porter said last week this would be the first game since the injury that Zelarayan's good to start - so I would think that's a no

TrueCrew repped this.
  25. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just my thought process putting on my coaching hat but I would say no - You are finally at a point where you are as healthy as you're going to get. A Team needs times to gel in real games. Doesn't make sense not to give the A guys a run out. Plus most of the league is playing Wednesday night as well, so it's not as if we're at a huge disadvantage.