Sun Ji-Hai: Manchester City vs Leeds United[R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Korea_Fighting, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    I saw the match and I think chinese defender Sun Ji-Hai did very well in his position of right back. He had a tough job of marking Harry Kewell. Good on him! I think team lost 2-0 though.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    3-0, actually. Nicky Barmby, Robbie Keane and Viduka did the damage.

I'm a bit surprised City got shut out, being as front-loaded with talent as they are.

3. yetanotherkim

yetanotherkim New Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    I thought they needed to put more men up front to support Nicolas Anelka... he was totally isolated for most of the match.

Anyway, I was impressed with Sun's ability as a defender... if he could improve on his passing game, he would be a top player.

4. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    Yeah, sometimes he would move up and have a crack at goal himself too. Reminded me of Hong Myung-Bo. Too bad team lost 3-0 though...

5. dogbyte

dogbyte New Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Los Angeles
    He had a cracker of a shot off the post in the first half from about 25 yards, and he did make some good defensive plays. His passing was very nervous though. Not bad, just always wanting to play the safe ball. I thought he played quite well though all being said. I think he got a bit injured, that is why he was taken out at 59 minutes.

6. you watched the game and you don't remember the result already??

7. Ticallista

Ticallista Member

Jul 5, 2002
    english media also said li tie had a good game for everton. he was excellent in his tackles as well as providing cover for his defenders.

8. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Watched the highlights (that's all they show of Saturday games in England). Looks like he had a decent game. They showed him cutting infield and hammering a shot that rattled off the post with the keeper beaten. However there was also an incident where he hesitated with the ball near th penalty area and got robbed. He had to be saved by foe in that instance, but an encouraging premiership debut nevertheless.

9. nw

nw Member

Nov 14, 2000
  10. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    I didn't watch neither the Man City nor the Everton match, but from I've heard Li and Sun both had a tremendous game. Looks like the coachs, fans and the English media are all liking what they see from the two lads.

Sun Jihai was also included in the Best XI in EPL's first round.

Way to go lads!!

11. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    I thought Sun played well too. Whoever was responsible for that pathetic attempt of an offsides trap should be benched imediately. He let 5 guys converge on the goal. Anelka was Man City's only offensive threat, and he was completely isolated from the action. I couldn't tell you who the offensive midfielder or the withdrawn fwd were because they didn't contribute to the game at all. It reminded me of Eric Wynaldo v Germany in wc98, except reyna was subbed for ramos, some balls did get thru. Anelka faced 5 & 6 defenders all day long. You just can't win like that. Considering that 2 of the 3 goals were bloopers, Leeds didn't really do anything offensive to City. A better offense would've hung 7 on 'em.

12. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    I have to agree. I was surprised that they took them out. Man City does look good in this game and were unfortunate to lose 3-0. Anelka looked dangerous. They just needed someone to provide him better. But they did look good.

13. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    WHere is this listed located? Link?