Summer's almost over (Transfer News Thread)

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. DaeHaMinGuk

DaeHaMinGuk Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Tha dirty Souf Korea
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't know about "much more".

We didn't add any players who are the equivalent to Berbatov and Keane. Dos Santos, Bentley, and Modric come close, but neither can touch Berba.

I think we improved our depth for sure, but I'm not sold that our starting XI is better than a year ago.

3. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't think that our starting 11 is better then they were last year???? Are you serious.. Our midfield is vastly improved with the additions of Bentley, Modric and Dos Santos. Defense is very solid now then it maybe has been in years. King is healthy(please don't say how long cause he is in the starting corp) Woody is here, Hutton is an animal on the right and Bale has made an impression. Not to mention all the depth we have back there. Keeper is vastly upgraded.

For strikers sure we don't have two class acts upfront but to say that there isn't quality up there is absurd. Pav was leading scorer 2 years in a row in Russia. Bent and Gio and now with Campbell we have a lot of athleticsm up there. I think were decent upfront and those guys will score goals. Maybe not as much as Berbs and Keane but surely with the defense much, much better we won't have to have 4-3 thrillers. I think we can score 2 goals a game and win.

4. DaeHaMinGuk

DaeHaMinGuk Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Tha dirty Souf Korea
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I just don't rate Modric all that highly. Thus far in his 3 matches with us, he has looked to be very, very soft and holds on to the ball too long to where the defense has 2 guys who outmuscle him. I'd like to see Modric get the ball and then attack the defense, rather than waiting for them to converge on him and dispossess.

On paper, our starting 11 is better- in terms of more positions upgraded vs. positions weakened. However, I think our upgrades at various positions were slight, while the losses at striker are huge.

At the end of the day, we're going to need one of our midfielders to score at least 10 goals this year to help offset the goals lost from Keane and Berbatov (not to mention that we're playing nothing but 1 striker it seems like). I don't know if that will happen.

5. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    Sorry, DaeHa, but you can't judge a player new to the league after just three matches - whether he looks good, bad, or indifferent.

6. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gus is an OG. He knows whats up.

8. chanman83

chanman83 Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome!!!! GO GUS!! help us get to the promise land!

9. songoose

songoose Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    of course, what he really says is that he is not currently in discussion to take the job. he doesn't say he wouldn't take it if offered.

Honestly, if he doesn't at least consider a head coaching job offer, you would have to wonder about him.

10. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    You'd consider that cluster******** of a job? A job where you're not control of your own team? A job where people buy players that you don't want?

11. songoose

songoose Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I would "consider" it yes, obviously bringing up any concerns as you mention. But if you have a career as a coach, isn't the general idea to be a head coach in the world's best league? You might only get one chance.

12. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I'm with Mattie DaeHaMinGuk, give Modric a while to settle. Once he is employed more offensively and adjusts to the new country and league, Modric is going to be a crucial player for us. Offensively he has tremendous passing and does wonders for our possession. Defensively he calms us down and will be a very solid defender. He will be a bit like a more attacking and faster version of Michael Carrick, where you cannot pinpoint everything he does well, but you notice that we play a lot better both ways while he's around. Most foreign players need about a season to settle. Hopefully Modric settles sooner, but I think he is going to make you very happy eventually. :)

-Digital

13. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was nearly involved in a street brawl when I was walking to WHL on a Monday afternoon (non-game day) with 3 "dark skinned men" (one even had a 2x4, wahey!).

I can see what he is saying, but he went the wrong way about it. It's more of an income thing than race IMHO, but that's another topic for another day.

15. DaeHaMinGuk

DaeHaMinGuk Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Tha dirty Souf Korea
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It is too fast to judge him. I'm just saying that I haven't seen much of anything from him in the 3 matches he's played.

Hopefully he realizes that he'll need to either be stronger on the ball or to dribble/pass quicker than what he's accustomed to.

Sadly, a #10 type of player is extinct in the EPL because of the pace and physical nature.

I wouldn't mind seeing Modric play on the left wing as a way to allow him more time and space being 1-on-1 against the opposing RB.

16. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. greatbluekingly

greatbluekingly New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Indy
  18. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Allow them to be pissed that someone beat them to the punch ;)

19. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    hmm take it he didn't like the area around Tottenham

As for Rebrov, if he did say that then he's pretty stupid to make a racist comment like that.

20. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes quite funny to see it from the Daily fascist

21. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    Regarding Rebrov, I'd hold judgment unless you know exactly what he said in Ukrainian or Russian, since the context of some of what he said may very well have been lost in translation...perhaps intentionally.

If a native English speaker said the same thing, then I could understand being upset.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, though Russian does have a word for poor, as well as several euphemisms. Yet, the description of what he said leads me to believe he was being predjudicial (perhaps in an ignorant way) at the least.

23. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=ramos-ready-to-quit-spurs%26method=full%26objectid=20746714%26siteid=93463-name_page.html

Probably just rumors but its just more salt in the wound. If there is truth to it then we are in some trouble. Instability would be the worst thing that could happen. But this article sounds really weird so I will not even think twice about although since it is a rumor I decided to post.

Also this:
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/51640/Led-s-sort-out-this-mess-/

24. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    he also denied wanting out at sevilla, and a few weeks later he fooked off to spurs.

the public word of the contemporary footballer/manager/director means nothing.