Summer's almost over (Transfer News Thread)

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudereEstFacere

Aug 11, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still like Ledders at DM.

2. jrob_blue

jrob_blue Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Tennessee
    I just don't think his knees could handle it.

3. AudereEstFacere

Aug 11, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not, and it would probably be a waste of the incredible Woodgate/King pairing.

4. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Summer Report Card

This was an odd window. For the most part the business done was good and we diid a lot of it. But, we clearly left a good deal of business undone, which is our real downfall IMHO. Here's a sort of report card for how we did.

Winter Window:
    Woodgate A+: Fantastic buy
    Hutton A: Very good buy but a bit of a steep price
    Gunter B: Good prospect, but hard to judge just yet, not ready
    Gilberto C: Skillful player but hasn't really proven to be a good buy yet
    Defoe B+: Sorry to see him go, but good value

Summer Window:
    Modric A+: Tremendous coup and an even better price
    Dos Santos A+: Excellent buy, fantastic coup, wonderful price
    Gomes B+: Good buy but not world class and not cheap
    Corluka A-: Excellent buy but pricey
    Bentley B+: Top player but very pricey and relegates Lennon to the bench
    Pavlyuchenko C: I'm just not that impressed. I still hope we are in for Huntelaar in January.
    Lee C: He needed to move on but not a particularly impressive price
    Robinson B: Good price for an average keeper who has lost all of his confidence
    Gardner A+: How the hell did we both find someone to pay that fee AND get him to pass the medical!?!?!?
    Malbranque B+: Liked the guy, but that was a good deal for all
    Tainio B+: Ditto, good deal for both clubs
    Chimbonda B: Good piece of business for an unsettled and replaced player
    Kaboul B-: Decent deal but we might have done better for him IMHO
    Keane A: I'm very very sad to see him go, but that's great money for an older player who wants to leave and plays an easily replacable position
    Berbatov A: Again, gutted to see him go, but it was inevitable and we lucked out with the Man Citeh situation forcing United into paying our hugely inflated price. Despite the bad press that was very well played Levy!

On paper, this was a good window, but it's what goes unsaid with which we rightfully take issue.

Unsold but should have been sold:
    Boateng D: Should have had his fair share of serious suitors but wasn't sold
    Staltieri C-: Old and seldom used, it was time for him to move on
    Ekotto C: Health record probably precludes selling him now though
    Zokora D-: Just. Not. Good. Enough.
    Ghaly C: He really really really should have been gone last season, but messed up his only good chance to leave. Jol really got the best out of him.

And of course, the old Spurs recurring theme, Unaddressed Holes in the team:
    Dmid D-: Achilles Heel. Only the acquisition of Corluka saves this from a flaming F. Unfathomable that this position wasn't addressed and inexcusable for Ramos to play matador defense in a fast-paced and offensively punishing league like the Premiership without an Axeman or even a stopper. Naming Jenas vice-captain isn't filling this void!
    Central Defense C-: I like Dawson but he has regressed. Corluka may be the answer here, but with Woody and Ledders we're not exactly a team of ironmen back there. We needed one more, and Dunne would have been ideal IMHO. Corluka may fill the bill, so the jury is still out here, but I'm not too confident about this one.
    Target Forward D: Bent may be an OK fit, but he doens't really excel at the position in Ramos' scheme. We knew Berbs was going and I'm not convinced Pavlyuchenko was the answer. At least we tried to fill this void though.
    Withdrawn Forward C+: This would have been a good grade had we landed Arshavin ... but we did not. This places a lot of pressure on Johnny Two Saints and Lennon to be more strikers than they really are. I hope it works.
    Fullbacks B-: Corluka shores up the RB position, but so does Gunter, and the youngster Adam Smith, so our LB position is rather shakey with the excellent but oft-injured Bale, inconsistent and oft-injured Ekotto, and the mediocre Gilberto.

All in all, it kinda validates Jol's assessment of our teams while he was here, highlights the Comolli/Jol rift as the reason we failed to attain CL heights, and shows we haven't fully learned from our lessons.

Ultimately, last season we were strong offensively and weak defensively. We exited this window making a lot of individually good moves, but we appear to be significantly weaker offensively and only slightly stronger defensively. In this case 2+2=3, which makes all of us quite unhappy.

-Digital

5. DaeHaMinGuk

DaeHaMinGuk Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Tha dirty Souf Korea
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Re: Summer Report Card

DT- I don't think we got good value at all for Defoe. We should have gotten 12 million for him considering that he's English and we sold him within the EPL. Basically we sold him for a fair price, which means we didn't sell him at a good price if it's not inflated.

6. LedleybetterthanSol

Jun 16, 2004
    Gold Coast/Australia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Defoe would still be with us if it wasn't for Keane. argh

7. arak0r

arak0r Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Wareham, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

thats what REALLY pisses me off about robbie, he really ********ed us over, i dont care what kind of excuse you wanna use, it really was below the belt bullshit from him

8. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he was healthy enough to do it. I would love it!

9. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ya we showed him loyalty and he kinda of left knowing that. He knew probably that Berbs was gone and he knew from being at the club that we would be struggling to get a striker to come in. I wish Defoe and Bent could pair up and gel. That would've been nice but we have a good sqaud and I'm happy with management and Ramos on what they have done. Also the money that they used was amazing. 5 million after transfers in and out. Amazing.

10. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I've heard that ManC are going to bid £6billion for Johnnie Jackson in January. Amazing.

11. jrob_blue

jrob_blue Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Tennessee

That would be an absolute rubbish pairing. They are the exact same player. All finishing and pace with absolutely no creativity or arial game. It would have never worked.

12. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

They are not the same. Defoe could drop deep, get the ball and run at the defence or take a long shot. Bent cannot do that.

13. AudereEstFacere

Aug 11, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Regardless, they would be a rubbish pairing.

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    david? david pleat? is that you?

15. Aud300

Aud300 Member

Aug 14, 2004
    San Antonio Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Defoe and Bent actually looked ok when then played together, teams with a slow defence will struggle against two quick strikers, although the trick is having enough quality in midfield to compensate for not having a link forward.

Appiah's knee is ********ed.

17. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Good round up Dig. Couple of notes where I thought you were wrong.

18. greatbluekingly

greatbluekingly New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Indy
    :eek::eek:

lol. :D

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

now, you may give the sale of defoe a B+, and you may give the sales of robbie keane dimitar berbatov As; but the sale of all three comes out to a colossal phooking "F".

our striker situation is hardly the result of a masterplan - or even of making the most of a tough situation. it is the result of not having shit under control. sixty million pounds comes in from the sale of our big three, and all we can come up with is a last minute panic buy of pavlyuchenko and a year's loan of a man u 'starlet'?

i'm not one of those 'worst window ever' folks - we did some good things. and i'm not wanting to throw levy/comolli under a bus. it's admittedly far easier to target your needs than acquire them. but our striker situation is nothing less than a giant clusterphukk - no matter how nicely one chooses to view the transfers individually.

20. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver

I've only been a Spurs fan for 10-11 years, but I've seen off-seasons that are alot shittier then this one.

21. songoose

songoose Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  22. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Ronaldo would be good. Give him a pay as you play contract.

23. songoose

songoose Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Fowler and JFH are both washed up, but if everyone is so worried about strikers why not take one of those dudes as #4? I would certainly miss Jimmy's commentary in the studio but I would postpone that joy for a little insurance.

24. AudereEstFacere

Aug 11, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WE WANT CARR BACK... because we don't already have a too-old right back...

25. Warrior51

Warrior51 New Member

Mar 25, 2004
    North Shore