Summer's almost over (Transfer News Thread)

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Last one. Hopefully we get a DM, Corluka and Arshavin.

2. AudereEstFacere

Aug 11, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone brought up the likes of Tymoschuk, the Ukrainian, for a possible DM a while back and I think it's time to look for players of this calibre. Experienced in both league and international play and with a bounty of years under their belt.

I think that if we could sign a good, experienced, proven DM and Corluka then our defense is basically set for the year, then we'd have King, Woodgate, Dawson, and Corluka available at DM, Hutton and Corluka available at RB, and a Mystery DM, Corluka, and Huddlestone at DM. So with just two signings our entire team will be ready for the new season.

3. MDC80

MDC80 New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    USA
    We are painfully thin at the back in terms of depth. This is very concerning. We cannot end this transfer window without any cover back there. A d-mid would be very nice right now as well. I would take those two things above any new signings in more forward positions. I am not concerned about scoring the goals...its conceding.

4. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
  5. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    soccernet reporting hughes might be out at blackburn

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=562072&sec=england&cc=5901

soccernet don't often pass along spurious rumor-mongering so i take it more seriously than the daily mail.

7. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have a feeling we just have to bide our time and let Man City implode. Then Corluka will be desperate for a lifeboat, and in steps Mr Levy with his checkbook.

Don't wish it upon Citeh though, real shame for their fans.

8. chanman83

chanman83 Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plastered on espn soccernet headlines is Manoo is on the brink of getting berbs for 28 mill.

9. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Spurs Man

Spurs Man New Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Eureka, California
    Nooo, do not want. A Berbs-Bent partnership would have brilliant this season, and if this means Corluka is the last signing of the summer (hopefully) so be it. DO NOT SELL, LEVY!:mad:

11. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Maybe so, but that includes two very scary questions: when and how?

I could easily see this stringing out to the transfer deadline, precluding us from getting the depth we need at Dmid and/or CB, or worse yet we throw in a last minute panic buy.

The how is more a question of whether it is a transfer or a legal battle to vulture in as Citeh go up in flames. We may be right, but we would take another terrible public relations hit.

If we can add him this window great, but let's not put all of our defensive reinforcement eggs into that basket. If we add him later he can show his versatility as I am quite sure he'd get minutes being that he could play 5 or 6 positions fairly well in Ramos' system (LCD, RCD, RB, LDM, RDM, RM).

Hughes deserves better. He's a good coach and person, as well as the strong, talented, non-corrupt type the Prem needs.

-Digital

12. chanman83

chanman83 Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we do we damn need to get a striker in ASAP to fill his shoes or put Dos Santos behind Bent and leave him up top. The biggest question is depth. I don't know who Andy Barcham and I'll assume if Berbs is sold Pekhart would be brought up I'll assume. I do not want to sell either but the only thing if If Levy is going ot do this he better have someone right there ready to come in .

13. michael24710

michael24710 Member

Jul 10, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As a United plan i have to say its a good deal for you if the figure is anywhere near 28mil your getting over the odds for a player in his late 20's... Of course you need to replace him but you can easily get someone good for a fraction of what we paid....

However United badly need a striker and proven premiership options are scarce so its not a bad deal our end either...

Out of curiosity how do you think he will do at United if it goes thru?

P.s: All the best for the new season, go and finish above Arsenal :D

14. chanman83

chanman83 Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well let me ask you guys this... will he start? I mean you guys do have Rooney and Tevez (who are proven also in the epl). You don't pay 28 mill for someone to ride pine.

15. Warrior51

Warrior51 New Member

Mar 25, 2004
    North Shore
    Good point. Something I had been thinking about for awhile. It's stupid to pay 28Mil for a bench player.

16. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    Pretty well, until Barca come knocking!

17. songoose

songoose Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Hughes has come out to say he is staying.

I think we need to move on from Corluka and get ourselves a defender. We can't rely on anything happening at Citeh.

18. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

Berbs is complete and utter quality. He is Bergkamp and RvN in one. A creator and finisher. If jedi's played football, it'd look like Berbs.

Not sure how he'll work at OT though. Cronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Berbs...Thats just a mental forward line!

19. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Berbatov at the #9, Rooney playing the support striker role and Ronaldo and Tevez on the wings. However, all with interchange positions throughout the match. But Berbatov will stay up top most of the time.

20. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    IF Manchester United pay Spurs £30M and get Berbatov, then I'd imagine SAF would be able to rotate his forwards again. With Rooney still recovering I'd imagine that Berbs would start with Tevez allowing Rooney to recover. When Rooney is healthy, he starts up top with Berbs allowing the two to interchange and Rooney to really excel. Then, Tevez would be the odd man out, but I suspect SAF would rotate him in quite a bit.

One thing about Berbatov, he almost always starts the season out with less than stellar strike rate. But, as the Christmas season approaches he really shifts into high gear and starts really lighting things up. This inspired form tends to last the entire rest of the season and it is when you see the brilliance of Berbatov. Jol confronted him with this after noting the pattern both in Germany and England, and Berbs tried to get into gear earlier, but as of yet he hasn't broken out of that pattern. So, just be aware of this and don't expect the goals to rack up the first third of the season.

Berbs will settle in right away as he's already used to England and he has Petrov also living in Manchester, plus United do an excellent job at helping their players settle, as do Spurs IMHO.

As far as health and fitness are concerned, Berbs is a beast. He had a bout of injuries when he first arrived, but he hasn't really been injured since. He smokes, so his fitness levels take a while to build up and I think that's one contributor to why he tends to be a slow starter early in the season.

But make no mistake about it, Berbatov would start at United for every important game, he'd fit in right away as he has a very unselfish and free flowing style, and he'd become an OT legend in half a season.

-Digital

21. songoose

songoose Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Considering they just paid £32M for Tevez, I seriously doubt he's gonna be the odd man out...

22. bigINTERNETTOUGHGUY

Jan 25, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well remember that Ronaldo is out to start the season, so I'm guessing Tevez starts on the wing and then the 4 will rotate based on injuries, etc.

I'm not trying to talk shite but if Berb does go, who do you have as strikers? Bent and Gio in a support role? As an outsider (and one that actually has a measure of respect for your club, despite the one that I support) it seems like you're leaving yourself woefully short. I have to believe 1) Levy figured the money was too good to pass up (Berb is only going to get older and his value would drop next year) and 2) another deal is in the works (Arshavin?).

Re #2: has there been any strong speculation recently?

23. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that Pekhart doesn't come close to filling berbs shoes but what if he has a role in the first team this year. I would love to see him out there.

24. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    No-one has paid 32m for Tevez, transfer negotiations haven't even begun yet. 20m was allegedly the amount last year, I would be surprised if it is any higher given Carlitos' performances so far.

28m for Berbatov would be a great price for you guys imho, hopefully you can buy a striker, a DM and a CB and you should be pretty much set. Where that leaves Arshavin is a different question.

25. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well its kinda late to do much now. Anyway I'm sure Arshavin will come and then hopefully we can get Corluka and that should be how its going to be for us for a while until Winter.