Summer in Austria

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DallasGooner, Jan 1, 2007.

1. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Whats the best way to find out info about going to see summer training in Austria? When do they announce that info? I know it s a wee bit early for this kind of question but I was thinking about it today.

2. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Contact Rick B for details, but when we last spoke there was a suggestion that they were not going back in 2007 but going to the USA. I am sure Rick will know more in due course.

3. klh23

klh23 Member

Jul 26, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard a silly rumor that we might be playing the MLS All-stars. Don't know if it's true or even a possiblity.

4. canadagooner

canadagooner Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Austrian friend I reunited with after the Sp*rs match was making positive noises, so fingers crossed it'll be trip 3 this July for me.
    It's going to be a lot of footie for me this summer as I'm going to see as much of the under 20 World Cup taking place all across Canada. Thank god for airmiles.

5. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    USA Tour? That mean Wenger no longer with the team?

I figured Rick would know...but thought someone else might know.

6. LadyforSpike

LadyforSpike New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
    OMG! That would be awesome to see the Gunners here in the US.
    If it's true, I will take part of my vacation time for a chance to see them and collect as many pictures and autographs as possible.
    Outside of Europe it will be much easier to get a bit closer to the players and AW without a mob all around them.
    Sometimes it's a blessing that in the US soccer is not in the top 10 sports. ;) :p :D

1.) Baseball
    2.) Football
    3.) Basketball
    4.) Hockey
    5.) Nascar
    6.) Wrestling
    7.) Boxing
    8.) Tennis
    9.) Golf
    10.) Cycling

7. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you get that list? I know plenty more people who are much more enthusiastic about soccer then wrestling, boxing, tennis, golf, and cycling put together! :rolleyes:

8. LadyforSpike

LadyforSpike New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
    I've read it somewhere, but I can't remember where exactly.
    I don't know who did the stats for this top ten, but it was based on attendance, TV-ratings and polls in the US and Canada.
    I agree with you, so don't shoot the messenger! :D

9. canadagooner

canadagooner Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Actually if the other NA tours of Europeon Clubs have been any indication there is NO chance of pictures or meetings unless maybe someone's trying flog a book

10. LadyforSpike

LadyforSpike New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
    Oh, thanks mate, nice job to blast the girl's hopes to bl**dy Hell :(

11. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I just spent my new years in Austria, in Innsbruck.

12. canadagooner

canadagooner Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sorry:( That's just what I've been told by supporters of other sides that have toured here. The corporate sponser types and the teams keep them well under wraps.

As you wrote earlier don't shoot the messenger

13. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it summer already? ;) :p

14. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well there was no f**king snow, make of that what you will! :D

15. Red Agave

Red Agave Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Manchester

Actually the pre-season tour is just about the best opportunity ever to get close to the players. Can't beat standing on the touchline - pint of beer in hand, and having to move back a bit so RvP can take a corner kick. :cool:

DallasGooner -
    Last year first confirmation that trip to Austria was on was late April, with fixture dates finalised mid-May.

16. XCdude24

XCdude24 New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    UCSB
    That's dope as crap if Arsenal comes. Would be a great way to top off my road trip this summer if they come.

Historically, how hard has it been to get tickets to see the all star game? I know when cheatski came this summer it was sold out.

17. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you follow an MLS team and are part of a supporters group, I'm sure you can get first dibs on tickets through the supporters groups before they go on sale to the general public.

18. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I hope Arsenal don't do the money spinning trip to the USA. Its much more beneficial for the players to travel to the Alps rather then the hassle of travelling all the way to the USA and then being dragged about for publicity stunts.

19. LadyforSpike

LadyforSpike New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
    It's easy for you to say, mate, you're living in the UK.
    The last time I've been in London it was 8 years ago and I would very much appreciate it if the Gunners would come to the US.

20. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The old Champions World series was pretty good at first. The Barca vs. AC Milan game in DC was very entertaining. However, before long, the teams started playing their "C" squads and the paying public wasn't fooled and lost interest. Champions World ultimately went bankrupt but now many of the big Euro clubs are coming over to play MLS sides. The fact that the MLS teams are in mid-season form makes up for the talent disparity between them and the big Euro clubs and the games I've seen have been better than you might expect.

That said, I don't really need Arsenal to come on a US barnstorming tour, especially if they're not playing within about a 4 hour drive of DC. I'd always thought that Wenger had not one bit of interest in coming over for a US tour anyway.

21. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The shelfish part of me would love it if the Arsenal toured the US. It would give me an excuse to also tour the US.

But the smarter part of me would rather they do a proper training camp in Europe.

And most certainly they should not play in a stupid All Star game against the MLS.

22. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Thanks Judy

23. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    Victoria Concordia Crescit!

In other words you need to subsume your self interests into what would be best for the team.

24. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not really. I love the Giants but don't want them coming to London half way through the season to play a season game at Wembley as many of the rumours go. It would be a completely season wrecking task for them because of all the stress and disposition of playing in London. I'd much rather they staid in New York, as much as I would love to see them play.

25. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't want Arsenal going to the US...I've never really seen it as beneficial to a club that has. I'd much prefer them to go to Austria.

Pre-season is a time to get the team in order, not for marketing. Get our team in order and up the table next season...thars the way I want Arsenal to get attention.

Besides, who's it benefitting if they went to America? Perhaps a few true Arsenal fans and then a whole lot of random football 'followers'? You think that is worth it so that we can sacrifice real training?