Summer 2022 Transfer Thread - What's next???

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I don't think he is even at that level.

Silvestre played 360 games for some decent SAF sides from 1999

Admittedly Utd were a bit patchy in the early and mid 00s but he was only forced out of the XI by the arrival of Vidic and Evra.

daedalus repped this.
  2. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    yes brown was good. - though always tended to be more a squaddie

I found it interesting because Harris is such a mad Utd fan and knows all of these players quite well - but I think he is right. Brown was no Rio, but he was competent. Maguire is laughably bad at basic things.

daedalus repped this.
  3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wes brown was solid, shame about his injuries

4. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    saw this a few months ago and was appropriately amused. your comment reminded me of it.

5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    This doesn’t even include all the grabbing and pulling refs let him get away with to compensate for his defensive inadequacies.

daedalus and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  6. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im too lazy to go look right now but has anyone actually seen any highlights of things that Maguire does well?

daedalus repped this.
  7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can you access a police blotter?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using BigSoccer mobile app

8. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My take is that most of the defenders in the ManU late Fergus-era were squaddies who were considered worldies because of the perpetual fouling they were allowed to get away with. It's clear that Arsenal had more skill when we played them, but the refs allowed them to kick us all over the pitch.

cantona94 and daedalus repped this.
  9. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing some claims this morning that spuds are working on a Winks for Tielemans swap (may actually be 2 separate transactions) . Also they finalized a deal for Richarlison this morning. Just waiting on a medical.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still no official news on Jesus. After there was so much chatter about it possibly being announced Monday. And here it is Thursday.

Any contract experts wanna speculate what's likely causing the holdup?

Meanwhile I'm listening to Tim Vickery sounding pretty luke on GJ's upside potential. However that's balanced out by many many other pundits who seem to think it's a positive move.

We shall see.

11. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There are quite a few pictures of him in the stadium, wearing the kit, doing a bunch of media stuff. We probably get a big announcement tomorrow with the full package of photos, videos etc.

I am not impressed with Jesus, and I can't see him improving much. People have this impression of him being stuck as a sub, and that his goal record suffered because he lacked consistent minutes. In reality, he had more minutes in the league than Laca this season, and last season, and is just an incredibly inconsistent player, with some mediocre finishing ability.

There is a reason Pep opted to play with no striker as often as he did, rather than play Jesus there.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    De Ketelaere 100% would expect to play wherever he goes. And I am not talking about occasionally getting five minutes off the bench.

daedalus repped this.
  13. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who was the last player of any position to move from the Belgium League to a top 6 EPL club and become and immediate starter?

And I wasn't suggesting that he would join Arsenal and only get 1000 min in year one. I was simply suggesting that he should not have as high an expectations of starting for us as Raphinha would.

daedalus repped this.
  14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How many established players make the jump from the Belgian league to a big Premier League club at all? It's pretty much all prospects; established players tend to hit that Everton-Villa-Leicester level.

15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. And if you look purely at stats, De Ketelaere is essentially a prospect. Compare his starts & minutes played to Sambi before we bought him. They are very close.

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still annoyed, the ref didn't think him yanking Tomiyasu by the arm down in the box was a PK. Much more grabby than Xhaka on Bernardo Silva during the New Year's Day match against City.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pfft. What does he know about my potential?!

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    LOL

Honestly if he played for arsenal he'd be regarded as a joke but because he is the big england man u guy he is a huge star

cantona94 and daedalus repped this.
  19. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #1544 casoccerdad47, Jun 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    I was specifically thinking about that incident, but there are plenty of examples of him mugging forwards to keep them from running past him. He is a joke, Leicester City must have been laughing all the way to the bank.

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    To be fair, both teams had much better players in those days

I was reading up on Petit a few days ago, and the Arsenal defensive lineup for the double winning side made me weep

Screenshot 2022-06-30 at 21.17.29.png

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha. Hope you're not planning to play that shared-initials card throughout the season! And hopefully you don't wear #9 too. ;)

22. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1548 Tonerl, Jun 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    At the announcement of Mike Riley’s upcoming retirement, Arseblog linked to a YouTube video highlighting all of the contentious decisions in the match at Old Trafford that ended our 49 match unbeaten run. I watched it because I apparently hate myself. After all these years, it made me so angry all over again. They could’ve murdered JAR that day and still wouldn’t have gotten a red card.

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That match will come up on my Twitter TL every once in a while and I purposely scroll past. I won't watch a single second because it still raises my BP to this day if I watch it. I'm not a conspiracy theorist (hi, Jitty!) but if I was, that match would be the first bit of evidence I'd introduce. Absolutely ridiculous.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Why exactly couldn't he become a starter?
    In any case, this isn't about Arsenal, but more about the fact that he has stated he won't go anywhere where he is unlikely to play much. Not less than half a year before a WC.

And plenty of Belgians have done just fine making the jump straight into the PL. Albeit not at top six clubs. But that has more to do with how the bigger clubs in England perceive the Belgian league.

daedalus repped this.