SUM may grant MLS the FMF's 3rd slot to the Copa Libertadores

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by Deleted USer, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I am watching Futbol Picante and according to David Faitelson, SUM is considering giving MLS a berth to the Copa Libertadores at the FMF's expense. According to Faitelson, this could happen in as little as 2 years.

The interliga contract ends in 2010 and it is uncertain if the tournament will go on.

2. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I fail to see how SUM could do that considering they are an entertainment group and do not have any votes within CONCACAF or CONMEBOL. SUM is a soccer entertainment company that holds exclusive marketing rights to most American soccer tournaments.

3. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    SUM will most likely negotiate a berth with the FMF similiar to how sports promoter Eduardo Aguirre did with the Venezuelan F.A. Interliga is nothing more than a candy coated torneo pre-pre Libertadores.

I do not blame SUM for getting MLS involved, it is in their best interest. However, I think they could do better and deal with South American countries, i.e. Bolivia and Venezuela, that can benefit from an Interliga style tourney.

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    FMF should just tell SUM to shove it and if they don't drop it they will not renew their contracts with SUM for EL Tri and Superliga.

5. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    I don't know but I think Faitelson is full of shit, the contract runs until 2010 and then maybe SUM will try to add MLS clubs to the Interliga, that to me makes more sense, since SUM doesn't now own the three Mexican spots for the Copa they own the rights to organize Interliga in the USA, outside of the US they really have no power, but who knows maybe they can convince conmebol to allow their teams to play as well, but I don't think so since Conmebol is barely allowing one non-Mexican concacaf team to play in the copa sudaca I cannot see in the near future them allowing a MLS team instead of a Mexican since a MLS team wont increase their rating if anything the rating will most likely go down in the US...........
    But I honestly wouldn't mind if that happens since I want Mexican teams to slowly get them selves out of all sudaca competitions........

6. Hate_Eternal

Hate_Eternal Member

Aug 6, 2006
    AVHC
    I think for where MLS is right now that we should at least get one team to compete in the interliga and if it works than try and work more teams into the mix. MLS has not dealt that heavily in international tournaments but as the MFL has shown us, playing regularly in international tournaments will heighten the profile of the league even if our teams do not perform well. Also, MLS teams have not played in such high stakes tournaments where they will be taken to the limit everymatch. But I think MLS should prioritize getting a team into libertadores.

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That is fine for MLS but they shouldn't try and do it at the expense of a FMF team.

8. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    No way Fox will allow Mexico to lose a spot, they depend on Mexico for ratings for Copa Libertadores. This is a big market for them.

http://www.laopinionlatina.com (La Voz De Los Latinos!)

9. El Kapitan

El Kapitan New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    This isn't the first time that SUM comes to us with that bullcrap and threats to give one or more of our berths to MLS. You know why they are doing it? Because the Mexican clubs and the Mexican FA want to kill the whole Interliga tourney once the contract expires in a couple years.

But those mofos of SUM, who are the only ones benefiting with Interliga, are trying to get the Mexican FA into keeping the tourney a live. Well let's wait and see how this is worked out and who manages to convince who.

One thing I do tell you, Fox Sports, Banco Santander, G Modelo, Telmex and other companies have invested in Copa Libertadores because of the economic benefits Mexican clubs generate them, and I really don't think they'll be happy to hear this idea of SUM.

10. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    I wonder if it was the other way around if they would share international spots with us..........

11. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I heard the same thing. lets see if it happens after the interliga ends

12. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    All right, everybody be cool, like Fonzie.. Let us get a few facts straight; SUM has been a lucrative deal for the FMF, had it not then there is no way they would still be involved with the organization after six years.

Also, SUM can not take away Copa Libertadores spots from FMF, they can however negotiate with the Mexican league to see if they want to put one ticket up for grabs. This will most likely be done as another Marketing scheme.

I am quite sure MLS will one day make it to the Libertadores, but SUM is in no hurry to get that ball rolling or willing to lose money to see how that works out. Instead they go with something safe (Superliga) and then try to up the ante by throwing in an MLS club or two into the Interliga.

Anyways, like many of you have stated there is way too much sponsership money banking on MFL clubs in the Libertadores to lose one of their spots, and ratings, to an MLS side. Perhaps, they will compete in the tourney but not be able to win a ticket to the Libertadores, lol. Sounds funny, but it can be a way for MLS to measure themselves and know if they are ready for the South American tourney.

13. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    i really doubt SUM has anything to do with deciding whether an MLS team will take a MFL spot in the libertadores. last i remember, conmebol was upset at the United States soccer federation for sending such a bad team to copa america.

doubt they're going to make their biggest money makers give up a spot for MLS, who doesn't give conmebol respect. i think they would also see a problem with the tiny soccer specific stadiums used in MLS, they aren't big enough to host a libertadores game, are they? its made even worse, say if galaxy qualifies and is only able to sell a certain amount of tickets, like the superliga final...

i see way too many issues, doesn't make much sense at all

14. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Do I think that MLS will eventually participate in Copa Libertadores? Yes. I think it is a matter of time before they are included. However, I do not think it will be at the expense of a Mexican club. 110 M in Mexico and another 40 M in the US, the market is too important as already indicated by Santander's Latin American operation's manager.

However, before SUM tries to negotiate anything, they need to deal with certain issues and one is that the league (MLS) is inactive during the beginning of the year. I personally do not think it is in MLS' best interest to send sheep to the wolves. Their teams should be in season form when they participate.

15. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    on top of that conmebol is hard on the mexicans per say a mexican final???they find ways to not let it happen what do you think they would do to an mls team imagine them being in a situation like chivas was with boca....The u.s. government would want to get involved etc. its just not up to interest to conmebol i also heard that another factor was traveling so far away that was a problem that they were having with mexico as well..idk thats just some lame sum threat

16. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Does SUM really have that kind of muscle? I seriously doubt it. I could see a scenario in which Mexico 3 plays against and MLS team for the right to go to the Libertadores play-in. But that decision would be out of SUM's hands.

17. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Why are we even debating this.

You know who made this story right?

David Faitelson

The guy who said that Concacaf was going to put the US and Mexico in the same group for the Olympic qualifiers.

The guy who said that the Concachampions was a new tournament to send another country to the Confederations cup.

The guy who invented some story about German Villa being benched because of some of his comments.

Why on earth are people paying attention to him and thinking that his word is the truth? :confused:

18. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Want a good laugh check out this link. Some spazzo has run with the story based on a thread started by Futgod in the MLS forums.

19. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    that is not entirely accurate. Rumors have surfaced about MLS clubs participating in CL and he did say that he heard from a source that SUM wants to negotiate a berth to the CL for MLS.

because the idea of SUM negotiating a deal is not that far fetched. SUM is a sports entertainment company that currently has interest in promoting and creating soccer tournaments. The only way for tournaments to gain more credibility is to add value to it.

SUM's closest ties to CONMEBOL is through the FMF. SUM has US rights to the Mexican NT (FMF).

SUM doesnt have the power to take a slot away from the FMF, but the question is if the FMF would sell their 3rd slot.

20. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    SUM is quite influential.. One of the main reasons the Interliga is played is because CONCACAF conditioned the MFL's participation in Libertadores stating that they needed to host a qualifying tourney.

Note: MFL needs CONCACAF approval in order to participate in a tourney belonging to another Confederation. This is one of the reasons why the MFL league champions must compete in the CONCACAF Champions League.

And guess who organized the latest edition of the CONCACAF Gold Cup. Indeed, SUM is in bed with CONCACAF which 'coincidentaly' also get a percentage of the money made form the Interliga.

Mexico is getting it's arses handed to them because somewhere down the line they gave up (lost) power in a Confederation they helped create. It is ridiculous how much harm the FMF directives inadequacy has done to Mexican football. What is even more ridiculous is the fact that the FMF needs permission from non-footballing countries in order to compete in prestigious tourneys.

21. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    SUM is in bed with Concacaf, but the last thing they want is to piss of the cash cow.

The Mexican officials are as corrupt as they come, but even they are not as stupid as to give up a spot.

If Conmebol wants an MLS team in the cup they will find a way to give it to them (ie, watch Bolivia or Venezuela have to fight it out with MLS for a birth)

Could MLS in the near future be in Libertadores?

Most likely

Will it effect one of Mexico's spots?
    Not when there are other nations with little or no power, who wouldn't mind some cash.

And thats my whole beef with Faitelson. Dude, comes up with stories that might sound reasonable but in the end it doesn't come up. Like Concacaf not wanting the Mexican and US U-23 teams to meet so putting in the same group would fix it.

And now MLS wants to negotiate a birth for Libertadores, thus Mexico is the one that is going to give up the spot. Sounds reasonable, but its not true. He is stretching the truth, who knows how Conmebol would find a space for MLS.

22. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    Yeah I don't understand why some dumb ass people take Faitelson's word as gospel, I'm talking about that spazzo futgod who comes here and now is spreading the rumor on the MLS forums, but going back to faitelson on the show that he made up that shit about SUM, Interliga, Libartadores, MLS etc, he also said that the referee on the Cruz Azul-America match told Villaluz that the penalty that he didn't gave to Cruz Azul was a penalty, that he did saw but he chose not to give it, the guy was bullshitting all show long like he always does........he is just a poor excuse of a journalist, there's a reason why no one likes him(I'm talking about his coworkers), other than Joserra but because he's as full of shit as Faitelson.......what was his excuse? Blanco and Beckham on MLS was the reason they wanted them to play in South America, but did he realized that by 2011 there might be no Beckham and no Blanco in MLS?.......

23. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Which non-footballing countries are these?

24. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001

Interliga came more about MFL owners wanting to generate more money during the winter break. Interliga was not forced onto us.

SUM just has promotional and marketing rights to the tournament.

They do get a cut from Interliga, but at the USSF's expense. By FIFA laws, the only one that can stick their hand in the cookie jar is the domestic federation.

The fact that SUM has all commercial rights to the USSF and MLS, allows me to assume that they really have to be effective and generate more money than the already set price tag set by USSF laws. I dont recall off the top of my head... but its something along the line when Mexico plays another foreign NT, 15% has to go to the USSF. When Mexico plays the US, 11% has to go to the USSF. When a MFL club plays a foriegn club, 11% goes to the house. When a MFL and MLS club play, 7% goes to the house. I dont remember the exact figures, but something along those lines.

1 FA 1 vote

I think the best thing Mexico should have done when forming the Confederation was just add the continental FA's (Canada, US, Mexico and the 7 other central american countries)

25. SoyOllin

SoyOllin Member+

Aug 14, 2006
    D TOWN
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    When you said David Faitelson, a dog taking a crap comes to mind and thats when I stopped caring about anything.

No offense to this thread but I hate that guy with a passion.